Candesartan and Valsartan risks

Posted , 5 users are following.

This warning is issued to doctors in the BNF:

Concomitant use of drugs affecting the renin-angiotensin system

The MHRA has issued new guidance that combination therapy with two drugs that affect the renin-angiotensin system (ACE inhibitors, angiotensin-II receptor antagonists, and aliskiren) is not recommended due to an increased risk of hyperkalaemia, hypotension, and renal impairment, compared to use of a single drug. There is some evidence that the benefits of combination use of an ACE inhibitor with candesartan or valsartan may outweigh the risks in selected patients with heart failure for whom other treatments are unsuitable, however, the concomitant use of this combination, together with an aldosterone antagonist or a potassium-sparing diuretic is not recommended. For patients currently taking combination therapy, the need for continued combined therapy should be reviewed.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Derek, does that just apply to Candesartan and Valsartan as in the headingin the MHRA warning?  Is it a recent warning? 

If I've read it correctly, I'm very concerned.   I'm on Losartan plus the potassium sparing diuretic, Indapamide,  and I have reduced kidney function.  I am under a renal consultant for my blood pressure but not due to see him until September.  Have only just started the diuretic so now wondering if I should stop it.  Decisions, decisions!

• Posted

It is in the August edition of BNF. It does not mention Losartan so that should be OK.
    • Posted

It would just be the combination of drugs like perindopril, captopril, enalapril, lisinopril, and ramipril with Candesartan and Valsartan.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply with the reassurance, Derek - haven't much time to research it myself at the moment - very busy for the next week or so.  Thanks so much for posting this information in the first place.  Good to be forewarned. 
  • Posted

Derek. Can you please tell me if the information you gave applies to my husband's prescription for the combination of Losartan and Felodipine for high blood pressure. Fortunately no diuretic .He also takes Pantoprazole and Simvastatin. Quite a cocktail! Thank you.

Slightly concerned wife

• Posted

Losartan and Felodipine are not mentioned in the BNF warning so would be OK.

Anyway, Felodipine an oral calcium- channel blocker.

I just quoted the warning so that any on the combination could check with their pharmacist or GP.  

• Posted

Thanks for your speedy reply. One doesn't quite know what drug does what these days! Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.