Long term effects of Subarachnoid Haemorrhage

Posted , 13 users are following.

My husband had a SAH in June 1985 at age 37. He had the aneurysm clipped and made a slow recovery. We had no counselling post SAH; we noted many changes to his personality - including anger, irritibality etc. 24 years on and he is now suffering increased and debilitating fatigue which has impacted on his ability to work to the point where he has been forced to retire. Has anyone advice to give (or experienced similar?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

[color=darkred:a1de437226][/color:a1de437226][b:a1de437226]Hi, I have just come across your post and it rings all the bells in my head. I am the partner of a now 42 year old man who had a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage 3 and half years ago. He was lucky at the time to survive and had 3 bleeds coiled at the time.

His symptoms after these 3 years are debilitating fatigue which has impacted on his ability to work, (He still works but gets so exhausted that he needs rest days in between), he is extremely irritable. Gets angry very quickly and easily, can't \"multi task\". Speed of cognitive thinking has been effected as in, it is just this little bit slower which is very frustrating for him as well as for myself. (It is usually the smaller things in life which seem to be causing the most problems). He is very forgetful and finds it really hard to communicate within the relationship.

The change in personality is huge and very frustrating. He has been prescribed anti depressants which do help a little for a while, but there really is only a small improvement.

I am sorry for all you have had to go through and think I do understand where you are coming from. I don't have any answer to what is helpful as we are struggling ourselves with similar issues, but am wishing you well for the future.

[/b:a1de437226]

• Posted

My hubby suffered his SAH 2009 but not through an aneurysm his was a bleed of no know cause, very lucky. he is back at work but his memory is not very good, long term or short term. we have been married 17yrs but he feels it is 3yrs as he cannot remember anything prior. this is very upsetting for me, i have had the short fuse temper, have been threatened and hit, he was never like this before. the worst bit for me is that his inhibitions have gone, like most men they look at women but my hubby stares now and says to me "that woman has great T..S" yeah it does wonders for my confidence. what do i do? many a times i have felt like leaving him but one day i will as all want is to be loved. i am never going to get that now.
  • Posted

I do feel for you all especially Waterball. I had the joys of experiencing a SAH in 2011 and I'm still in the course of rehabilitation. Unfortunately it does totally change your life. I believe it's quite normal for sufferers to become easily irritated and lose control usually verbally in social environments. Therapy usually makes a difference unless you can force the sufferer to take a sedating medication. Either way it's not going to be easy. I myself had to be restrained when in hospital as I was in complete denial that I had even had the injury itself. It went on to the point I was given haloperidol three times a day until I was finally discharged at which point I still had to take them until I could be weaned off.

All I can say to Waterfall is that it seems to have almost reached the point of abuse in your relationship. If you aren't receiving any advice from medical staff who were involved with his condition it is really up to you to take things further sooner than later before you find yourself reduced to nothing. Good luck to all 🌟

• Posted

Hello I am just interested in how you managaded to control the iritability aspect of your condition-Thanks
  • Posted

Hello-I know it is over a year since your post-how are things?
  • Posted

Hello, Just checking you are still around this Forum. How are you ? 
  • Posted

Hi. I had the same thing in September of 2014 at age 53. Prior to that I worked endlessly and also was in good physical condition. I have never fully recovered and am just like him with the irritability and short temper issues. I also get fatigued quickly. I have headaches every day and on about 6 different medications. I'm hoping to maybe go back to work at some point, but haven't worked since. I feel for you. They are about to put me on a newer medicine to combat the irritability issues. I am in the United States and you're probably not. His issues are normal. Only those of us who've experienced it know exactly how it feels. But those close to me feel what you're feeling and I know it's not easy for you.

Jeffrey

• Posted

Hello. I also had a SAH in August 2007 aged 25 years old. I've one coiled & one clipped. I also had no counselling after, I know I've never been the same since to with my personality. I've just recently had 3 session of counselling & are due for the fourth in the new year. I feel really down as I've just kept everything in all these years & hid behide a brave face since which now seems my down fall. I also have anger issues, which look like they affect my family life & work. My marriage is suffering & my ability to be a dad to. I'm not violent person but it tears me up personally every time. Thanks for your time.

• Posted

You are not alone, know we never asked for this to happen to us but I sometimes feel I over compensate where family concerned. I get so angry at times where I need chill out time, as it's. it persons fault it's ME that takes it wrong way, I too struggle with memory so bad, mum will say I told you but I honestly can not remember it, scares me if honest xxxx Stay strong and here if you need to talk x

• Posted

Stay strong and hold on to your fam.Because at the end we were given a second chance of life.
  • Posted

I'm a 40 yr old female, that's on my own with 2 children, currently 10yrs and 7 yrs but December 2014 on day before Xmas eve I suddenly got massive headache, as I'd suffered in past I put it down to a migraine as just lost my dad, and found out my partner of 14 years had 6 month affair so stress was factor, also smoker. Took migraine tablets and vomited few times, was keeping eye on time as thinking I be up early with kids, I woke up on my bathroom floor but panicked as young kids in house, phoned my mum at 5am describing what I thought but was panicking about kids, mum drove straight over, phoned my sister as I wasn't right, not that I can remember. Sister phoned 111 and advised ambulance on watt, next hours a blur if honest, was in HDU nuerolgy and panicked, I was taken down xmas eve for repair to ruptured aneurysm and a second due to rupture. Both coiled successfully, was discharged 14 January as they went through groin. Since then my fatigue is so bad, I'm loosing tempter so much with children, I'm on such short fuse too. Had councilling but feel my symptoms getting worse xxxx

• Posted

I too had subarachnoid haemorrhage and don't remember too much of my time in hospital. This was 24/12/2014 and I'm struggling with fatigue, depresssion and short temper. I've had councilling but seems if I'm around my mum then I feel ok but on my own back at home with my 2 kids I feel like coiled spring, which if honest is not fair on them as on my own and they have been through so much already xxxx Stay strong and please reply xxxx

• Posted

I have just found this site and after reading your stories I feel I can relate to you all. I had my SAH in 2012, mine was at the front of my head, which apparently is rare. It was 8 mm and coiled but a few days later I had a 2nd bleed caused by the surgery this was in a different location. 4 plus years on and I have migrations often with a constant low level head ache. My body has rejected all medications so now having botox directly into the skull, which is helping . I have nerve damage in the back of my head , neck and shoulders which is like a constant toothache. I still can't sleep and My fatigue is off the scale. I have daily dizziness with the nausea too. My short term memory is really bad and my common sense is very disturbing, I often touch very hot things etc. I can't stand for too long or walk any distance without my body going like jelly. Concentration and ability to understand things is massively changed. Overall my whole life has changed and I can only describe it as though I'm living in an arcade game and nothing seems real anymore. I do feel depressed and anxious but unlike some I don't get aggressive I just get emotional. I really expected to get better and go back to work but alas that has not happened , I'm lucky if I can get up and dressed these days. Loud noises , bright lights or movement plays havoke with my head so crowded places or travel is so unbearable. It is so hard to express the level of and intensity of the problems but even harder to live with them. I truly hope that anyone affected by this awful health condition sees improvement over time.

• Posted

I survived same 17 yrs ago - and have same exp + now am having eye muscle/nerve issues in left eye with a sliding sensation in feet. Any similar?
  • Posted

Hi,I’m just wondering if anybody has had a SAH without any cause? At 28 I had been to the doctors with what I can describe as a thunderclap headache for four months they told me it was a migraine. Last July I collapsed with no sensation in my legs in front of my children. I’ve since been left with sight loss in my left eye,and I can’t describe what it feels like when I’m in a supermarket or busy place,I feel flustered or panicked. Thanks for reading.x
    • Posted

Hi there, I had a SAH in 2006. No cause given other than a weak vessel had burst. My short term memory is poor, concentration levels short, i am irritable, impatient, and frustrated! My cognitive processing speed is markedly reduced - noticeable when playing computer games now with my kids!

I am concerned lately that my issues are getting worse - my partner and work have noticed - particularly during periods of stress - I seem to be way less tolerant.  I hate being this way, as I have always been kind, caring and gentle.  I just get so wound up over the littlest things.  I didnt get any information or support from medical people at all. Just some pills and signed off work for a few months. All I know about this is from online and sites like this. I am worried for the future . 

Wayne, Perth, Scotland

• Posted

I understand how you feel. I sometimes think I’m losing my marbles as things I could do without any thought before takes me a while to process before I can actually do it. The slightest cough,little niggle of pain in my head I think it’s happening again. I daily tell myself I’m not going to die. I take anti depressant and beta blockers for anxiety but it doesn’t take the thoughts away.
    • Posted

Yea that’s hard.  Perhaps the GP could give reassurance or arrange some kind of counselling which may help with the worrying?  I was told the chances of it happening again to me are very minimal as they have scrutinised my brain when dealing with the SAH. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.