I've had a migraine for 7days was in the hospital with stroke like symptoms. started on Topomax.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm still having face spasms and migraines on both sides along with speech issues. Not sure how long I will be without speech. I get tired so easily and am wondering how I will go back to work. Looking for any suggestions.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

If you find Topamax is helping you in some way, thats fine, for me it gave me very bad side effects and no benefit, so told my dr I really have to stop taking this drug and find another.

I have both cluster head and hemaplegic migraine and its the hemaplegic migraine that resembles your symptoms almost perfectly, I too have spent  many days on and off in hospital with stroke symptoms.

The best drug I have found to deal with this is called Flunarizine and if you can get to see a neurologist quickly and therefore get some of this drug, it really is the best medicine to help you.

Sure you can get side effects but for me they are minor compared with the benefits I get and to lead a relatively normal life!

Good luck Elizabeth, this is the forum for support and someone  to listen to you.

Take care

• Posted

This is used as a migraine preventative and lists speech problems along with muscle spasms as a common side effect so I've no idea what the hell your Dr is doing.

It is of no use once a migraine has started and is not a treatment.

Ask for an immediate referral to a neurologist

• Posted

I agree that topamax is no good as an abortive medicine for migraine, but my neurologist listed it as a preventative treatment for migraine.  But what Elizabeth is maybe suffering from is hemaplegic migraine.  Which Topamax wont be of any use either.

But you right Elizabeth should see a neurologist asap

• Posted

Forgot those symptoms can be that type of a migraine and that it can be mistaken for a stroke. Thanks

The Migraine Trust website has some good information and recommends the involvement of a Neurologist

• Posted

im on same meds and it is  for seizures and migraines, look it up... i am having some side effects but my migraines have been progressing, think 3mo now on meds have to get them a far shot, 50 mg twice a day. aura and uppset stumach dirrea, and ear ringing,   i found national headach foudation a good reasource.. i think u are in recovery from the eposide that u had...  i am currenty seeking a 2nd doc myself

• Posted

I feel the same way. I'm not getting better. The right side of my face is still numb and its been 10days with this migraine. I'm going to the doctor today and back to the neurologist tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Good luck with dr and neurologist Elizabeth, hope they can get you on the right meds to deal with your migraines, they sound so much like hemaplegic mograine to me as I get very much the same symptoms and been hospitalied on 4 occasions because of them.

Currently taking flunarizine that has dramatically reduced frequency and intensity.

Update us when you get the chance please.

Take care

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth

I sympathise with your condition as I have just been diagnosed at the hospital after stroke like sypmtoms. Trying to reduce your stress levels is one of the most important things. Having said that, when you are feeling low because of the symptoms, it is very hard to do. I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.