Bunion operation

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who had their operation at least three to six months ago and how they are doing.  I want to know how much difference the operation has made to your lives! confused

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi mumbles,

I had my bunion op on 2nd April, so 5 months ago. Initially I was afraid that the operation had been unsuccessful as I was experiencing issues with my ankle being weak which meant I was walking with a limp. However, I searched the internet and found some exercises to assist with strengthening my ankle.  Now whether these made the difference or it was just the passage of time I don't know but now I can say I am walking better than I have been able to for quite some time.

I can now wear shoes that previously had been uncomfortable as they squashed my bunion. I am now back wearing shoes with a heel though not going straight for a stiletto just yet !

I eventually realised that the operation and recovery would  take time,  and patience is definitely a virtue! I also wish I had thought to look for more information, such as this forum, about the operation and others' experiences before my operation so I would have been better prepared and informed.

So if you're contemplating having the option I would say it isn't pain free but by no means as painful as I was expecting. The key is rest and gentle stretching excercises initially building to strengthening exercises as your flexibility increases. 

I would finish by saying I am sufficiently happy with the outcome to get a second referral for my left foot operation after Christmas, going to party first :-) 

• Posted

Hi Phyl,

thank you for your detailed reply.  I'm glad you feel it's worthwhile to have the other foot done.  I'm wondering whether the toes stay stiff or if eventually they feel normal again?  

Yes like you,  I can't wear nice shoes.  I buy them and then can't wear them because my foot is too mishapened, so I wear lace ups or Birkenstock's.  

Im still weary about having the operation as I love walking holidays and I'm afraid of the possibility of things going wrong!  Is it true that it's better to have the operation before the foot gets worse?  My big toe is beginning to overlap the second toe on my left foot and my right foot is less bad.

how did you find a good surgeon, was it a GP referral? 

Sorry for a lot of questions!  

• Posted

Hi mumbles, i live in Berkshire and was referred by my GP. I had the debate whether to do now or wait til things got worse. Anyway I reasoned the sooner done the less that there was to put right, so went for it. Like you I was afraid that things might go wrong and was a bit concerned with the weak ankle thing but like I said this has now all but disappeared. Although my toe still gets stiff  I bend/ stretch the toe quite harshly up and then back, to the point when it almost hurts, then it soon disappears.  I too was told it could take up to a year to feel at its best, so it's no quick fix. Go for it as my thinking is they will only get worse. Good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks Phyl, you're right, I've put off going for years and it's possibly affecting the knees, hips etc., so I'll go to my GP next week.  Like me you'd probably like to hear from someone a year on so maybe when your feet are back to normal, just put a note in your forward planner Ladies, to let us know how it feels a year down the line! smile thanks!
  • Posted

I am 7 months post op and would absolutely do it over again.  It has made a world of difference.  I started golfing again at 3 months and jogging at 4 months.  My toes are still stiff because of the fusion but I have no pain whatsoever where the bunions were removed.  I had both feet done at the same time to hasten recovery time.  It was hard but glad I did it that way.  I had help at home though, so I was lucky in that respect.  Hope this answers your concerns.  
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your positive feedback.  Have you been told your toes will get back to normal?  I'm amazed you can jog though just 7 months after the op! It's a relief to hear that  as I love walking up to 25km a day on a walking holiday.  How long was it before you could get back to normal exercise, apart from the Golf?  I'm terrible at sitting still so I can't imagine having to keep my feet up for long! 

• Posted

The doctor told me I could both golf and jog at 3 months, but I wasn't really to start jogging until 4 months.  I'm up to jogging 45 min 3 times a week and golfing twice a week.  My toes will never be able to bend like they did before the operation because I had two toes on the left foot and one on the right fused.  It's really not a big deal.  Yes, it feels different, but I'm able to do everything I could before the surgery.  I can wear sandals without being ashamed of my feet and I even painted my toenails for the first time in 67 years!
  • Posted

Hi, i am almost 5 months over my op, i still get quite a bit of swelling especially if i am on my feet for any lenght of time, my big toe is very rigid i hope that it will loosen out in time. I can only walk small distances but i am swimming quite a bit. My foot looks great but i would like to think that it will feel more comfortable soon.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, thanks for your reply.  Do you know why after five months you get swelling.  I've heard others talk about toe stiffness, is that because of the pins they put in and will that improve over time?

five months seems a long time to not be able to walk far, but perhaps you had a lot more done than other members.  Have you been told a time line for improvements? Lynn's jogging at 7 months and was playing Golf at 3 months, it does vary a lot doesn't it.  I suppose it's because each person has a distinct operation for their bunion and some like me have put off having the op until it's more complicated.  Keep on exercising! confused

• Posted

Actually, Mumbles, I was jogging at 4 months.  And I do not have any swelling...that stopped after about 2 months.
    • Posted

My apologies for getting the month wrong when I replied, my eyesight is not always good with figures!  Four months is even more amazing than seven!  That seems very early but then again if the swelling's gone down maybe that's proof that it works! It also depends on your age as to how long people take to get back to fitness.  I am over 60 so recovery might be slower. Thanks for this news as it shows what can be achieved early on.
    • Posted

I'm 67 years old, so that hasn't negatively affected my healing.  My surgeon did put me on vitamin D about 6 weeks before my surgery.  Maybe that had something to do with my fast healing.  Also, I did exactly what he told me--elevation being the major thing.  But yes, everyone is different and I feel very lucky that this has been such. Positive experience for me.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Lynn, vitamin D is a good tip. I look forward to a positive outcome too!

All the best! smile

• Posted

Hi mumbles,  although I am only 4 weeks post op I am glad you posted about long term. My surgeon told me before the operation that there would be some permanent numbness but I already had that pre op, my big toe was not doing anything and the next toe along was making up for it with balance etc. even though my foot is still swollen it looks so much nicer, and the idea of being able to wear any shoes where I don't have to hide my foot will be amazing. I was basically only wearing crocs. It seems like you had better get hours done before they get worse. And like you I walk and ride my bike everywhere so I have my moments of severe frustration.

i had key hole surgery which is pretty amazing. I don't know where you live but I can recommend my surgeon if you live in Sydney....though I think most people on the forum live in UK.

• Posted

Hi Fran, thank you for this information which is very helpful.  It will help me to at least go for a discussion with my GP.  One step at a time, if you'll excuse the pun! I'm in the UK but thanks for the offer! smile  if I can I'll definitely go for keyhole as recovery is supposed to be quicker.

thanks to everyone for the replies and I'll let you know how I get on...

• Posted

Hi Mumbles - I too am researching keyhole/minimally invasive.  I have narrowed it down to 2 surgeons - in UK.  How about you have you come up with anyone?
    • Posted

Hi sandispoon, I had keyhole five days ago with Simon Palmer at the BMI Goring Hall Hospital - he was really good. Can't comment on the feet tho as I can't see them under the bandages!
    • Posted

Hi Nathsa - really appreciate your response.  I have a consultation with David Redfern in Nov.  It was a toss up between him and Simon Palmer for me.  They seem to be the leading edge for MIS and because I was able to find more references on David Redfern I opted to go for him. Am so hoping he will be able to do both.  I have been told that I need a metal plate by another surgeon so I may not even be able to have MIS let alone both feet!  How are you doing now?
    • Posted

I did look in to both as as you say they are both leading edge for MIS. I have to say my deciding factor was the insurance as my insurer would only cover 70% of Mr Redfurn so that made my decision for me. Mr Palmer was really good though, very professional, knowledgable and good bedside manner!

I was hoping to just have my bone shaved but unfortunately had to have the metatarsal broken and realigned so I have wires in a the moment which are being removed at four weeks. Am having my stitches removed on Thursday, I can send you some pics if you want to see them, then you know what to expect?!

I am good though, some days I am in hardly any pain and some days it kills! Its only day ten though so I guess I shouldn't be expecting to do cartwheels just yet! One thing I will say, be prepared for the acute boredom of being indoors, I am sitting here considering a trip to Sainsburys as they have wheelchairs (I am THAT fed up!)...was actually in tears of sheer frustration on day 8! Good luck smile 

PS (I had both mine done)

• Posted

Hi Narhsa I would be interested to hear how you are getting on now?

I had bunion surgery on both feet at Goring Hall 2+ weeks ago. My right big toe is looking good but my left big toe is numb and looking red round the base. My GP thinks it's not infected but I am concerned. The kwire is due out in 10 days so I am hoping that it will improve then. Did you have any redness or numbness and if so has the feeling returned? Thanks Hilly Bill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.