query re new med lansoprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been advised to take it my meds twice a day. A/M 30minutes befor e food  not a problem on empty stomach but how long after lunch before i can take the second one i was told evening but this woud be after my dinner. I assume it must be on a empty stomach so if I have my lunch at 1pm can i take it at say 6 for 7 dinner .So I suppose what I'm asking is when is my stomach empty enough to take this evening pill how many hours do I wait? Any advise welcome a simple enquiry but want to get this right to get the best from the Pills.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take my 2nd dose late evening. I finish my evening meal before 7pm - this is my last food of the day.  So if I take the tablet at, say 9:30pm, then 2 1/2 hours have elapsed. It seems to work for me. This does mean I can't take Gaviscon before I go to sleep but this isn't usually a problem. If I am to eat later than 7pm then I take the tablet 30mins before I eat and Gaviscon before I go to sleep.  As you see I have to juggle but it works for me.
    • Posted

Many thank you for reply gandacC .Its very helpful as I now how important it is to take this on an empty stomach  . The mornings not a problem .At the moment i do not need antacids at night so should work fine .Figures well as you can still enjoy eating out. Will try it this and see how it goes .
  • Posted

My GP says 2 hours at absolute minimum.

To be honest, you should be able to find out through your own trial and error. Take it at 6pm, see how you feel. Getting the symptoms? Take it later. Having food in the stomach incredibly decreases the consumption of it, so you'll not get any relief of your sypmtoms - thus, this is your clue whether you have "taken it too early".

• Posted

I thought it had to be much longer so both you and previous  messager have both been helpful. have been to the docs to often lately to bother them again right now asking questions so its good to have people here who have these experiences to relate too as a newby to this treatment. Many thanks.
    • Posted

I could perhpas add that I take my 2nd tablet late evening as it leaves me free to have an afternoon snack whenever I can fit it in. As I am 5' 8" and less than 9st I don't want another long period without food in the afternoon. It's bad enough no longer being able to have something to eat at bedtime!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.