Risperidone works?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After being on quetiapine, invega and olanzapine, the psych gave me risperidone. I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder, phobias, anxiety and shizo-affective disorder. Unlike the other medicines, risperidone makes me feel indifferent, calm and drowzy. Is something wrong or is this supposed to be a better life? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My 19 yo son has bipolar, borderline personality & very recently shizoaffective diagnoses. He was started on respiridal consta 37.5mg shots while hospitalised. The side effects have been terrible for him, gained 13kg in 26 days, enuresis, akasthisia, muscle aches & pains, no energy & sleeping 12-14 hours a day. He doesn't care about anything at all now, including his real passion which was skateboarding... Very sad. I think that this med doesn't suit everyone. We've sent him off shore to escape a Compulsory Treatment Order, because there is no future for him on this medication.
  • Posted

Hi

I am on risperidone, lithium and vanlofaxine. I find risperidone makes me feel flat and restless with some insomnia as I have reduced my dosage. Feel the same waysad

How are you doing now?

• Posted

My son had terrible metabolic dysregulation caused by the respiral consta even 2 months after his last injection & a severe depressive episode lasting more than 3 months. I did lots of reading & discovered that people who are 'flattened' by respiridal may respond well to aripiprazole( Abilify). Oddly enough my sons psychiatrist started him on it just last week (without my suggestion or input) & he seems to have picked up a bit already. It works very differently from respiradone, so may be an option if you hate the way that respiradone makes you feel? Worth thinking about, but it (Abilify) is horribly expensive if not fully funded (about AU$9 a day).
  • Posted

Thanks Krissy

Will mention to my doc about this and see about changing. This drug sounds much better. I hope your son gets better too.

• Posted

I'm on risperidone.  one third of the dose was replaced with aripiprizole(abilfy).  It seems to be making a slight difference./

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.