Bad reaction to insect bites and HSP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm interested in how many people with HSP also suffer bad reactions to insect bites. Insect bites are listed as one of the possible causes and I believe may have started my HSP. Please let me know if you have HSP and react badly to insect bites e.g. excessive swelling/pain/redness.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had her first reaction to insect bites as a toddler. Once having a seizure, a red rash looking like a scald, another patchy rash they initially thought was meningitis and another time losing consciousness. She is easily bitten by a multitude of insects. This seemed to stop between age 4 - 17.

For hsp sufferers with pets I advise a monthly trip to vet for animal and house flee treatments or no pets at all.

for those with kidney disease  we think 15 power foods diet helped. I got kidney friendly diet books from Amazon.

• Posted

Hi, any infection can cause a flare up as its auto immune so your body doesn't know how to react properly, bites and stings are common for flare ups, i got bit last year and it was gross and just a simple thunder bug, how ever this week i have a chest infection so covered in spots.......steroids again! this has been going on for over 20 years. any one else had it this long reoccuring?? 
  • Posted

Hi, my daughter has much improved. There was a combination, firstly the vet put mine and wider family pets on a 3 month more intensive treatment for fleas. Second she left home for uni. 

In October the renal dept in Glasgow called her wanting to see her immediately for biopsy and steroids. Fortunately they held back when they saw her and she told them no rash, no cold symptoms and feeling better. Her next appt the level had dropped slightly so agreed to hold back. She for other reasons came home in November. She has not had rash or other symptoms since Sept. On her return she was well and has sustained this, returned to Glasgow a week ago. She has not had any hsp symptoms but has not kept up with renal appts because of moves so no conformation, but I know my daughter and she is well again.

this reinforces my belief it was insect bites that caused it all, protected from pet fleas she has recovered.

• Posted

I am HSP.  I have suffered with Hayfever since puberty and I have Dermographic Skin - I can "write" on my arm with my nail and it comes up in red within a few seconds and is visible for a few minites. I have horrendous reactions to insect bites. Ten days ago I was attacked by midges and the reaction is still going strong after 11 days. The spots weep with orange liquid and the affected area is still spreading. I've had trouble washing the lacto calomine lotion off. Anything I do seems to make it worse. The staff at minor injuries had never seen anything like this. Waiting to see my GP. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.