Ibuprofen MEDICATION

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having to deal with back pain for many years and I take regular pain medication.

My query is in relation to Ibuprofen. If I take the regular dose of 400mg three times a day, this does not work.

what are the risks if I double the dose?, has anyone else tried 800mg per dose.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, taking Ibuprofen long term is not recommended; increasing the dosage even more so. Presumably you have read all you can about it online.

Secondly, what does your GP say?

Thirdly, what is the cause of your back pain and what has been done to tackle it?

Fourthly, there are good alternatives one being acemetacin (which I and family members have used for many years, as necessary) which does not have the side effects associated with other anti-inflammatories.

• Posted

At the moment I am not talking ibuprofen as it like taking a tic-tac for the pain as it has no affect at all. But I am taking Co-Dydramol 10/500 x 4 per dose.

I have not seen my GP yet as I know that he would gladly give me ibuprofen instead of the stated pain relief.

My back pain flares up because of 1 of 3 things like;

1) arthritis

2) scoliosis

3) CMT (Charcot Marie Tooth Disease)

Anyone of these things are long term.

Finally I would never consider any other kind of treatment without looking into it or without my GPs feedback. I have a load of medical problems that I have to deal with to the affect that to date I have already gone through 16 operations with another 4 to go in December.

• Posted

Nothing I can say will be help other than to get the best consultant available; and then a second opinion, but with all those operations you must be getting a lot of medical advice and knowhow provided to you. Pain relief is a complex medical problem so I just wish you well and hope December brings you relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.