Can lansoprazole/prevacid side effects last for weeks after stopping them ?

Posted , 17 users are following.

After 6 weeks of 30 mg/day I stopped Lansoprazole nearly 2 weeks ago because of side effects like shaking legs and hands, anxiety, chest tigthness, throat cramps and involuntary  muscle movement, spaced out feeling brain fog etc. I tapered myself off of it and still got shakes, tingeling in my limbs and somewhat brainfog at times plus major anxiety and tight muscles. How long did it take for your side effects to wear off after quitting? Has anyone experienced lasting side effects from this? Its almost like you wake up in the morning and your legs and hands feel chill and weak and you feel like your brain is not working right. Sometimes it just lifts off itself and you feel normal for a day or so and the next day is bad again. What the heck is this poison??? By the way earlier this year I took Nexium for 2 weeks and after quitting my body did the same thing. After a week I got scared and went back on and immediately the weird chills and shaking stopped. Maybe my body is responding to the acid rebound (which gives me lots of heartburb) in a weird way. Thanks for all input.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stefan, yep it does last a while and infact I have come off them for over 6 months and still having issues, went back on them for 1 month and no different so off to see consultant for his views on Monday, fed up with not being in control of my body.  Hope all passess for you soon
    • Posted

What kind of side effects did you have that lasted?
    • Posted

Stomach acid for one, especially in the morning when I first wake up, it is like my body is trying to adjust to not having lanzoprazole, sort of clearing out my system.  I have had headaches and general lethargy.  I have tried modifying with food - all sorts - and believe it or not over the last couple of days I stopped having breakfast just tea first thing and then water till lunch time, has eased it quite a bit.  Also quite tender around stomach hope that will ease too.
  • Posted

Brain fog goes with the loss of good bacteria and too much bad bacteria in the gut. So you need to put that balance right before that symptom and some or all of the others are put right too.
  • Posted

I have just stopped taking them after 3 /4 years they have made me gain weight and have ibs my joints all ache I stopped them 7 days ago and loss 7 lb 😀but I have to say I feel foggy and want to keep 😥😥very emotional and depressed feelings only just realised what these drugs do to your body hope it gets better 
  • Posted

Hello I know its been about a year since your post but reading it made me feel so much better because after taking prevacid i have the same anxiety, foggy thinking. Im very sorry to hear that somebody else is going through this torture but I was also glad to know I wasnt the only one. Its truly horrible. I have been off of it for about 5 days and still have these horrible side effects. How long was it before you felt relief? Did you need any b12? I just hope these side effects end soon. Thank you in advance
    • Posted

Hi gem1030....

Thanks for your input...how are you feeling now? I too have been on lanzaprasol for 3 months and following a seizure I have bad brain fog and dizziness I have only been off of the Meds for 3 days. I hope the dizziness fades how is yours?

• Posted

Back in September I started having a hard time swallowing it scared me I could not eat, it scared the heck out of me, I went through a lot of tests down my throat, up my nose and down my throat, drinking barium uck. one dr. said my esophagus wasn't working right and there was nothing he could do, that was Nov. He said see you in july the other one said he thought my stomach muscles weren't working right went through a test for that, it came back OK, I asked both doctors about the lansoprazole all they said was, keep taking it, actually they said take more. I was taking 30 mg. They said take 60, I said no. I tried 2 15 for a while I asked them again about going off of it because of side effects they still said no, so I did it myself, not sure if that is what is helping or not but after 7 month of just drinking and eating mush I can eat,my throat still feels weird sometimes, and my stomach doesn't agree with me eating much yet but I feel better, I tried all kinds of things for the acid reflux, I tried soda, vinegar, mylanta, and a few other thing, then zantac, first once a day then 2 times a day, my daughter told me about zantac duo so i tried it, it surprised me it worked, just don't like the ingredients in it so now I take zantac and a tums, I sure hope this works

• Posted

I've been taking prevacid for about 5 years now due to GERD. All these side effects being mentioned is exactly what I'm going through! I was in the hospital about a month ago due to an anxiety attack which came out of nowhere and even leaving the hospital hours later I was still anxious. I was told the anxiety attack was all stress related but I didn't believe that one bit. For the next month I had been dealing with anxiety, shaky hands, chest palpitations, suicidal thoughts, dizziness, and depression. Yesterday my legs felt extremely weak towards the end of the day as if I had just worked out. Worried me a bit not understanding why I was feeling this... it was already bad enough not knowing why I was feeling these other messed symptoms. Today I've been dizzy to the point I thought I was going to fall over as I was walking to my office. Being able to find others that can relate makes me feel so well! I know we will all get through this and starting tomorrow I'm throwing these damn pills(poison) away. I can finally say it's these damn pills causing all of this. As I type this my legs have twitched a few times and I feel like the room is spinning. I won't give up with staying positive.

• Posted

How are you now? His long did it take to return to normal?

• Posted

Please can anyone help with the answer to the original question? I've been taking lansoprazole for about 6 months and for the past 3-4 have had all the above symptoms - terrible anxiety, heart palpitations, just wanting to cry, nausea, intrusive thoughts etc etc. I have stopped taking them, it will be 2 weeks on Sunday that I took the last one. I have had days where I almost feel normal again, and days where I feel anxious and have the same kind of symptoms as before (although not as bad I don't think). Anyone been through this? When did it stop?

• Posted

As anyone found a solution to these side effects. can't seem to shift my headakes.. I've had every Symptoms going from headakes to dizziness feeling faint chest pain pain in harm and back even neck. Can anyone tell us when theses symptoms stop. please I've stopped takeing the meds now have for bout 5 days... No change. Thanks

• Posted

Hi, i have been on this and was taking it for a for months, I've now come off of it and feel awful! i feel so shaky/trembly in my arms and legs. I feel weak and just awful! I have also been having muscle twitches. I went to the doctors and they said apparently its anxiety! Not convinced. How are you? x

• Edited

I've been on Lansoprazole 15mg once a day for over a year and started having those same side effects. After some research I discovered that all PPIs reduce vitamin B12 and magnesium levels - (it says so in the leaflet, too, I just hadn't paid attention to it before. Vit B12 needs high levels of stomach acids to be separated and absorbed from meat and other B12 rich foods, which on PPIs is obviously a challenge. I've had brain fog, palpitations, shakiness, pains all over, weakness, a kind of depression as I just wasn't my normal self any more. It's Vit B12, folks, get some sublingual (under tongue) vit B 12 tablets or a B12 mouth spray to bypass the stomach, and some Magnesium skin spray to rub in. The difference is amazing, I can think again, the rapid heart beat is normalising, the aches and pains are disappearing, all this within 3 days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.