Ramipril

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I currently take ramipril and, unfortunately, I have let my prescription run out. I can't fill it until Monday and I'm worried about missing three days. Any info out there to ease my mind?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie ~

Do you have a good relationship with your pharmacist?  When this has happened to me, they give me like 3 pills until I get the script on the following Monday.  When they fill that script, they take 3 out of the count.  Also, it has to be a script they know you get every month. 

Good luck.  No one likes to be in limbo w/o the medications that help them.  Don't suffer, and try and ask the pharmy!

Frustrated

• Posted

I have heard that too, Julieebug, only any pharmacy will do eg if you are away from home. Happily it is Saturday so your regular one should be open this morning. A pharmasist would be very reluctant to risk someone coming to harm for lack of their usual prescribed medicine. We can be less efficient when unwell and sometimes our treatment makes us vague and muddled. I expect running out happens quite often, it is just that we don't see all the people who get into ths pickle, but the phamasist does. 

All the best, the chemist's will be open in 2-3 hours.

• Posted

Hi Julie, Pharmacists will prescribe enough to see you through, or could you ring the out of hours GPs?  You could then go and pick up a prescription.
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

It would depend on where you are, I know this is a UK based website, but many US citizens also use it. I am not sure where you are, if the timezone is correct you are roughly 8 hours behind me, which would place you around the west side of America. I am assuming by some of the answers already that you are in the US, and could just pick up a few from a local pharmacy.

Here in the UK it is just a matter of phoning the out of hours GP service, and they will prescribe enough to last you until you can speak or visit your own doctor.

Regards.

Les.

• Posted

It will not make any difference for a few days. Worrying about it will just put your BP up. If you take your own BP it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

For the past three weeks I have been taking my Losartan at night instead of the morning. Result... no difference my BP is still very high in the morning and drops during the day and my average is only fractionally up.

• Posted

Same here Derek,I use to take my Losartan 50 mgs  AM ,then changed to late PM ,made not a scrap of difference . Mines stress ,over having tinnitus and rhinitis allergy ,so hence have that going 24/7 ,so BP stays up .regardless to time I take the tab .

So your first reply I concur with  stress and BP not a good combo  at any time .

• Posted

I have had a couple of appointments at a hypertension centre. One of the consultants many early thoughts is that I don't actually have hypertension (after 14 years?) just surges/spikes in my BP and that is why the many meds I have been on, up to three a day made no difference and caused more than usual side effects.

My next appointment is not until mid January. Before then I might try a couple of weekswithout Losartan.

• Posted

I've only been on BP tabs for 2 years ,my daughter in law is a senior heart  sister  she says I suffer white coat syndrome ,(hate a Drs/ surgery I'd sit in a dentist chair straight 8 hrs before a Drs surgery ) .

I often wonder as to BP meds ,seems more people being put on them ,then people say they then began getting headaches they've never had ,so you got to question these meds,all seem to be put on ,and I mean all .Big industry these days ,look at their finances . Often think it's a racket .How these meds don't seem to help many that take them .Got to wonder ???? 

Why does these BP meds give peoples a cough as Ramapril does ,they did me ,never had a cough period before those .Again you start off on just one ,then two ,and so it goes on ,but hey still got this BP trouble ,okay I know as we age things happen ,body's change ,but there's a big but to all these meds 

I'm only on this one med ,I'd be reluctant for more to be taken ,sounds like your me in this thinking .Im a doubting Thomas by nature . Question everything .I now go by my gut feeling ,as daughter in law has said it will never let you down ,hence we have it for a reason ,if not why is it there ? 

Maybe were our own best dr.Wishing you better days Derek .

• Posted

Hello marlene,

I have ' white coat syndrom'. I think it goes back to school. I always felt so guilty when questioned / examined. It feels the same whenever I am examined. Up goes my BP every time. Now I take my own readings for a week or so before my GP visit and give her my BP report. That way my pills were redeced from 4 to 2 and the dose for each halved. 

• Posted

How high was your BP when you were on four tablets a day.
    • Posted

That was some years ago. I think it was in the order of 130/80. It was not especially low but I found that I got virtually the same result as I took out one pill and then another. It took some time as I moved slowly and methodically through various permutations. When BP rose I knew I was reducing too much. Even now, I can miss a day and the increase is very slight particularly with one of the pills. 

I would add I am a difficult patient It took 9 years of searching for a single pill and then  herbal remedies when I rebelled at the apalling side effects before I was referred to the hospial clinic. The consultant got it right first time. I put up with the side effects loss of energy, loss of libido and erectile disfunction. Success was just in time as I had by that time an enlarged aorta. Happily the heart function was still satisfactory. It was a year or two before i experimented with reducing my dosage. At the reduced dose energy improved  and very gradually libido reappeared and erectile function improved to a useful although both remained diminished from what I enjoyed in earlier days.

• Posted

Not easy reducing ones stress ,I do meditation ,that goes a long way ,but my worst tinnitus and allergy days make even doing that difficult Derek ,but it's good thing to do . What works for one don't another ,how life is .

I got a BP machine ,but never use it . People I personally know live on them virtually .Not for me . See it's helped you though by getting tabs reduced ,got to be good it worked for you .

I was never a stressed out person ,at least never came across to others I was ,took life as it came dealt with the day I was in ,never worried about things I had no control over .Think I think same for BP it is what it is .Who knows Derek .Wish there was a pill to stop my tinnitus now that's one I would willingly take .One day hopefully ,it's the Bain of my life .

White coat syndrome ,wonder if there's a club for that one ,happens to a lot of us .

• Posted

Yes, there is a lot of white coat syndrom about. I am sorry you have tinitis. It is very troublesome to say the least. If I strain to hear something it is just the tinitis I hear louder than ever. The white noise from my hearing aids helps a little but I must not listen to the tinitis or I can hear little else. I remember a few years ago of the sad case of a policeman. He was badly beaten up during the course of his duty. He recovered but he was so distressed by the  tinitis that resulted from his beating that after a few months he shot himself. Most think it an extreme reaction. I think we understand only too well how bad his tinitis must have been. 
    • Posted

You mentioned the policeman and his suicide ,yes only this past couple of weeks this has claimed another 53 yr old male out in the USA ,I'm on another site just for Tinnitus . All so very sad it leads some to this action . It affects so many but don't really hit the media,which I believe it should . 

Needs cash thrown at finding it's answer ,site I'm on now is the best I've come across ,I know more since joining .

Unless one has it ,they've no idea it's affect to ones life ,to date there's no cure for it ,I have maskers ,but haven't found any relief ,but keep putting them on ,Mine today are really loud,I do keep background noise on helps the distraction a bit  ,sorry you to have this,my husband has it also 30 yrs ,me 18 yrs but far worse in past 8 yrs since having rhinitis ,deal again with the day .

Certainly my BP doesent like it people who don't have this condition don't know how lucky they are hey George .There is several Drs on my site with it ,so that's to my benifit .Lots of service personnel have it 

I have thought to getting hearing aids ,although my hearing is fine ,It's caused me balance issue to.

• Posted

Marlene, 

Thank you for that follow up. Please, would you be very kind and send me the web site address by private message so we don't bother the moderator. Yes tinnitis is a serious to deadly affliction and disability. Like all hearing problems, it is ignored or attributed to the supposed low intelligence of the afflicted person. There is a sentence that used to be quite common in Scotland, when I was young. It seems to sum up the cruelty of prejudice towards the deaf. "Are yu' deef, or somethin' , stupid." The "stupid" was spat out fiercely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.