Frusemide sometimes works sometimes appear not to

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I am a 69 year old male, and have started taking Lasix (frusemide) 40mg once daily. I prefer to take it at 7pm, so that I can use the bathroom in the evening and not mess up my day.

In the beginning, I would need to rise 3-4-5 times a night to go to the bathroom, after having been maybe 4-5 times between 7pm and 10pm, my bedtime.

Now, I go to sleep around 10pm and go through till about 4am with out any need to go to the bathroom during the night.

I have googled to find an answer if this is normal, but have not found any info on this.

May I kindly ask if others have experienced this or have I become acclimatised to the frusemide, and it's not working properly?

kindest thank, regards

peter

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A long time ago, I mentioned this to a GP and he said that I [it might be different for you] shouldn't take it all the time, with no break.

I am surprised that your doctors agree to you taking it at night, that could be another reason why it isn't working.  Why was it prescribed for you?

• Posted

thank you MrsMop

I was hit by a speeding car and hospitalised and developed oedema in my right leg, luckily no DVT.

The Frusemide works in keeping the oedema under control.

You get 100 doctors in a forum 50 of them will opine one way and the rest another way.

I discussed whther it was a good idea taking them at night so as to not interfere with my daily routine, and the doctors I see all said, great idea if I don't mind getting up during the night, which I dont as I fall back to sleep instantly.

I have not read or heard or been advised about taking it all the time or taking breaks.

Hopefully, sonme one else will respond with similar condition

thanks, cheers

peter

• Posted

I developed gout a couple of times when I was on Furosemide.  I have now been presecribed a different diuretic - in order to control my hypertension

Gout is a known side effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.