New to this group and mirtazapine.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

I've just been prescribed mirtazipine by the gp after so many failed antidepressants. I'm feeling pretty deaperate & was just hoping for some idea of what to expect on them.

I'm going to pluck up the courage and take my first one tonight.

Has anyone tried this & what experiences have you had?

Thank you in advance & any thoughts would be great.

Butterfly x

0 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi u will find they will help you sleep, what dose have they given you? julie 
  • Posted

Have you tried the Sun? Most Of the time depression is associated with low vitamin D, which is generated when the sunlight touches our skin.

It heals. If you never tried Do it. Ad regards mirta, I personally do not think it's effective and I hope your doctor warned you about its withdrawal symptoms that are worse than any kind Of depression. Invest in natural light!

• Posted

very good point but we need more sun and depression can be other issues besides getting some sun, but true in many cases
    • Posted

I was always skeptical about lack of sun triggering off a "depression". Certainly it doesn't make you happy. I'm Italian from Rome and moved to Grrmany with my wife.

Goodness...Once I never saw a ray of light for three months in a raw. I felt SAD. Back to Italy to get rid Of mirtazapine, as soon as I 'm kissed by some sun I get moved and praise God. So the ultimate antidocte against depression is LOVE and sun

• Posted

i agree sun does help with moods but depression can also be a underline issue that needs addressing with councilling and tools we learn to rid this illness , plus to much sun can cause wrinkley skin or skin cancer so sometimes a small dose of an AD can help .. send me some sun brrr here in uk! i do take a vit D tablet each day 
    • Posted

Love, sun, magnesium

Do not take vitamin D after 1pm

Personally I think that L O V E makes miracles

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

I have been given 15mg. That's good to hear i could do with some sleep and something to calm me down also.

As for the sun we don't have much here and i have suffered with this illness for years along with anxiety and now i do needv the help from tablets or i will never get better so i don't think the sun would cure me right now.

Butterfly x

• Posted

try stay on 15mg butterfly any higher can cause you to have less motivation the next day! you will sleep well tonight :-) keep me informed
    • Posted

Butterfly! Trust me...I was born under the sun, I was always happy, I moved to Germany I saw how my mood changed. I was shock.

Stay 3 months in Italy and you will be astonished. Anyway, start supplement ing. With vitamin D and magnesium. By the way, mirtazapine depletes vitamin D...so...

Ah! In Great Britain you have the best brand as regards supplements: Viridian Nutrition.

• Posted

Yes me neither i have no love and no sun. Great!!!!
  • Posted

Can i ask how you get on with it Julie. Has it helped you? x
    • Posted

hi i was on 30mg didnt help me i couldnt move next day so didnt help so im now on 50mg sertraline in the morning and 15mg of mirtz at night i sleep great brilliant for sleeping, gp may want to give u a higher dose after time please be carefull going any higher! i did come off 30mg side effects are hard coming off them but its like any other AD . yes butterfly 15mg really helps with the sertraline, you will be fine. x
  • Posted

Get real manuel how the hell can people just move abroad just like that. Your comments are not really helping my question.
    • Posted

Hi Butterfly,I think Manuel is probably trying to say try something else other than mirtizapine,I was on them for two months I only took 7.5mg a day,yes it did help my anxiety but I couldn't t cope with heavy it made me sleep I have a young daughter and sometimes need to get up,with these tablets if woke up in the night I couldn't t move!!! I also didn't t like the weight gain,I gained 9 pounds in two months,I never had a problem with my weight.so I decided over a two week period to come off them.first few days I felt great then bang the withdrawl symptoms came,I ached from head to toe I couldn't t think straight anxiety went through the roof,I shook all over,my chest was bad,and couldn't sleep.Eight weeks down the line my joints still ache,and for the first time last night I slep for six hours!!! All I can say is look at some of the comments on this site about withdrawl and only you can decide what to do.i wish you well with whatever you decide to do x
    • Posted

This is why we have to be informed about its side effects: I had to stop working... I felt destroyed. Then I tried to stop...very hard for the withdrawal symptoms...from the bottom of my heart: try one tonight and then stop
    • Posted

stop scaring the girl 15mg will help her get a good nights sleep but butterfly try not go any higher than 15mg . side effects of coming off them is hard but can be done easy if slowly tappering off 15mg. either that or manuel can send us some flight tickets so we can have some sun :-) 
    • Posted

I agree with you Julie, but I am surprised that anyone in a professional job requiring attention to detail, or a manual job where it could be dangerous, could work on mirtazapine. I was only on 15 mg and I couldn't attend to detail in the morning, so that if I had a meeting with the bank in the morning I wouldn't take mirt in the evening.

But all this should be on the side of the tin ie regarding not driving etc if effected.

• Posted

hi nickoliver i was working as a chef as was on 15mg and was ok but ur right can effect everyone driffernetly but i also know other people who function on highter than 15mg were all drifferent .x
    • Posted

Hi Julie I think that if I was doing a routine job I could have possibly managed it but I imagine that as a chef you have to respond quickly to orders  etc (yes, I have watched Masterchef).

I particularly noticed this when I was going to my choir in the morning. I couldn't read the music properly.

It was even worse when I was on quetiapine which makes one (me) feel like a zombie. My stupid GP had me taking me in the morning and evening.

Quetiapine was to replace Lithium which was poisoning my kidneys. It turneed out that Lithium probably made me shake.

• Posted

hi nick change ur gp taking something in the morning wont help you and this will effect your work supid gp we know more than them im sure
    • Posted

I have changed my GP. For a variety of reasons but I felt that symptoms that I was finding he wouldn't take too seriously. I had reported to him my difficulty in urinating yet when I reported it to my psychiatrist he whipped me off mirt.

If I said something to my GP about my medication he would say that that was what my psychiatrist had ordered. I told him to write it in my notes - mistakenly believing that this got through to my psych.

I don't have a care coordinator and my GP should take that role. Fortunately I have a good relationship with my psychiatrist - I have his email address and it was through that that I was able to communicate through this means about my urination problem. It should have been my GP who was taking a view on this - my word for his attitude was "complacent".

When I went for the first meeting with my new GP he asked me whether I had a psychitrist - he wouldn't have had my notes. He also noted that I was taking 2 tablets of Lamotrigine (2x50mg) and he imediately changed that to a single 100mg tablet. He didn't ask my psychiatrist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.