So scared!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I want to say thank you for this post! I have searched many forums which most are dated over 5 years ago. I am 58 years old, had a crash course in menopause, RLS prior to Tramadol and feel like I am losing my marbles (whats left of them). I started taking 50mg 4 years ago for sciatica, told the Dr. that it was causing me severe stomach pains to which he repied...take it with food. Hmmm, ok..a year later I had an EGD done and lo and behold, I have 3 ulcers. This Dr. says its directly related to the Tramadol usage. I tell my GP and he says no way..then I tell him I want to get off of them, he replies...your on such a low dose just stop taking them. Ok...WOW I thought menopause was a kick, this about made me feel like I was dying!!Now some of youmay laugh, only 50 mg a day? What do you have to worry about...but trust me, havng never taken any other drugs before for pain..its exactly what all of you have described! I am very familair with naturopathic/homeopathinc therapies and I have tried them all to no avail. I was even tempted on trying my hubby's Neurotin! My memory is a joke (I am a nurse and cannot afford that), my RLS is out of control, my appetite is nil and my stomach pain is horrendous, not to mention the bathroom changes or mood swings. I am scared..I want off this nasty, horrible, very addicting drug!!! And lastly...I am alone in this. My hubby continues to take it 2 or 3 times a day plus his Neurotin and its not touching his pain, he has had multiple mini seizures but refuses to quit.....dear Lord give me the strength!! 

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey.Glad you're here. 

So you just quit or are trying to? The dosage you are taking is nothing for anyone to find humor in, addiction is more about what effect the substance has on you, not really about how much you take.

The good news is that the withdrawl symptoms pass quite rapidly, it took me about a week to start feeling better and getting solid sleep. After a couple months I never even thought about them anymore. I feel your pain though, I well remember the depression and misery that came with getting off that crap, not to mention the physical effects.

Good luck in your journey.

• Posted

I was taking 300 mg and go off one day and feel horrible then I take some out, I am so glad you feel normal now just hope I can get there soon, I was on 900 mg in Jan now it's may and the symtoms are so bad how did you get through it?

• Posted

Unlike other pain medications, tramadol has a significant effect on neurotransmitter levels. Just as with drugs like Paxil and Prosac, it can take a while for these levels to return to normal. This is likely to be the cause of at least some of your symptoms, especially the mood swings. There isn't much you can do about that, except wait, but I hope you will feel better just knowing that. Those levels will return to normal.
  • Posted

I agree with you that it is just as hard kicking 50 mil. as it is to kick many more. Unfortunately I am way over the limit for casual abuse .Now am taking about 60 capsules a day - (50. milligram per capsules0 .I have built up to this over the last 5 years. Now it's not fun anymore. I'm really trying to push myself to take the ass wiping that is waiting for me outside my door. It's gonna be a big one.

About 10 years ago I got hooked on Methadone. I am not a massive drug addict ( see I am trying to rationalize it) but I am an addict. After one year I decided to get off the methadone and went cold turkey. Had I know what was in store for me I don't think I could have done it. That's why I'm scared now because, I\m doing so much of the Tramadol that I'm not sure if I can just stop. The neuro-receptors  really get mad.... It might be dangerous, and I can't get a straight answer on that. I've tried tapering down a couple of times, but I blew it both times. I'm 62 years old and sometimes think I will just stay on it till........ But something inside of me doesn't want to do that. I pray about this everyday and the answer is the same....God says "you have to do this yourself". I know I know.....

Anyway I wanted compare note on some of the side effects I've experienced over the last few years. I have quite a few, but perhaps some of them are a product of age.

1- memory is shot....I keep thinking alzheimer's  but I hope it is the tramadol. And, I am forgetful.

2- I've lost my sense of smell (Olfactory). This happened early on but it's a bummer.

3- I have no desire for sex and I use to be so horny. I mean, I see woman now and I feel good just imagining, but I don't have the drive to pursue it. I am not sure if i can get an erection. Sorry for so much details. This one maybe age related but, a lady I met said she stopped taking it because it affected her libido... How about you?

4- I'm depressed. Not suicidal but depressed. A lot of it is the feeling of being controlled by this substance.

5 My equilibrium seems to be off. I mean some of it is age for sure, but I think the Tramadol is really affecting it as well. 

6- I'm weak...

7- I can stay awake forever because the Tramadol has an initial amphetamine effect on me. However I can lay down and sleep 24 hour without blinking an eye. It's very hard to come out of that. The dreams are incredible to the point that they are scary.

8- You said you have stomach ulcers and I get these small tongue ulcers frequently.

9- No appetite. I have lost about 60 lbs. Over the last year. The only good thing.

I think that is about it. I guess opiates are the same to some degree. I was hoping it would be easier to quit than the methadone but that not what I'm hearing. I remember the sleep deprivation. It was horrible. 

Sorry to bother you guys with this but I needed to vent with someone. I'm in a bad relationship which gets worse all the time. I've tried for two years to make her go but she won't. I think that the Tramadol keeps me from getting too angry. She has no idea what addiction is and constantly gives very unencouraging advice. She's not using but that is why I said it might be difficult with your spouse around, unless he will truly coach you through it. I feel like such a coward.... I am functioning at work but it does affect it. 

Anyway guys thanks for listening. I realize as I write this down instead of thinking it that this is really bad. Good luck with your challenge and I know you can do. You gotta take a punch, no way around. 

• Posted

Heya MrDoug.

1 Check. Memory was like that of a goldfish while I was on cloud Tram.

2 Check. Lost my sense of smell and pretty much all sensitivity in my nose. While withdrawing I experienced sneezing fits dozens of times per day and I attribute this to sensitivity returning.

3 Check. I could daydream for hours about sex, I never stopped noticing beautiful females but the desire to perform (if you get my drift) wasn't there.

4 Not me. Didnt experience depression while using, only while withdrawing.

5 Equilibrium....not sure what you mean by that in this context.

6 I didnt experience weakness so much as a lack of motivation.

7 Check. I often lay inbed, wide awake until six in the morning just staring at my phone browser, I found satisfaction in the most pointless tasks while 'trammied' but yeah, I had periods of just taking a dose and sleeping....and repeat. Lost quite a few days pursuing 'Trammasnooze'.

8&9 Didn't 'feature' in my experience.

I've said before that Tramadol withdrawl differs from person to person but with some common themes and having compared your experience to mine, my view remains the same.

As far as your relationship issues go.... Mate, Life is too short. Sounds like she is taking advantage but then again, she IS putting up with an addict (no offense). I'm no relationship expert but would suggest that getting yourself clean would help you see the situation and solution more clearly. Sounds like there might be an issue with co-dependancy. Maybe do some research on that subject and see if there's any identification for you.

Good luck in your journey.

• Posted

Hey Denizen,

Thanks for the response. I respect your advice. At this point  anything I say is just an excuse.

I was happy to hear that my Olfactory might come back so I can smell again. Did your memory really increase, and now are you out bangin the chicks....lol....I just want to feel the desire to make it happen.

Hey, regarding #7... Me too sometime I didn\t sleep but it seemed like the most peaceful part of my day and as you said doing menial things, like picking locks, studying paper airplanes, but mostly reading...Holy sh*t...lol #6 yeah your decription is better than mine. #5 It's probably the age but I am fit. No stamina or strength, I can't do any spinning with out wobbling....such as spinning heel kicks and stuff.

How old are you Denizen? How long have you been clean of Tramasnooze? What kind of doage and/or how many Tram's a day were you doing at your peak. It's legal here in Bangkok and cost under a nickel for a strip of ten. Are you in N.A. I gotta get back there. Right now I just gotta jump off this ledge. I hate to hear myself bitch and moaning about this...trying to kick myself in ass....

Hey man thanks a bunch...hopefully I'll see you on the other side. Anymore advice I'm open.... Doug Joy

• Posted

Yeah, my memory has returned to normal. My relationship with my long suffering partner has returned to normal too smile

Oh yeah the dizziness was crazy at first, also experienced what felt like a lot of electric jolts in my brain, almost like my entire mind blinking. After around 4 months without a Tramadol I still experience the occaisonal, slight dizziness but it's barely noticible, all other effects have passed. 

My dosage was 12x50mg of tablets per day when I had a new prescription. I could take that for a few days and then have to gradually cut down over a two week period so that my prescription didnt run out before I could renew it. I'm 41.

I've spent some time in Thailand (mostly Hua Hin where my father llived) and bought them over the counter there too, along with strong sleeping meds, scary really. 

I'm not N.A but did do a few years in AA. Ironically, when I started taking pain meds is the same time I stopped finding the motivation to go to AA. 

Four months clean after 2.5 years of moderate to heavy abuse and I can honestly say that I really have no desire to take them again. However, getting off them was tough, it took me many failed attempts. I always seemed to cave in after a couple of days withdrawing and would call the Doc for a scrip. I had to get myself healthy, pass through the worst of the withdrawls before I realised quite how pointless my life had become while using them. 

There is no urge. 

You can do it bro.

• Posted

Sorry to hear the Dr. Minimized it, they should realize that eeryone is different and it's not a laughing matter.  The 50mg pills are easy to cut into 4ths, I've done it.  Maybe try halfing it at first and swait 3 weeks before cutting down again.  I your body isn't able to handle cold turkey then I would cut it back slowly.  The thing with Tramadol is you have to go REALLY slow.  Good luck!
    • Posted

The UK is over a barrell on that point. It's only available in capsules there.
    • Posted

I didn't realize that the XR was only available in capsules for UK patients.  That is really scary to me.  I had withdrawls after taking XR for a month, I can't imagine if someone took it for years--yet with tabliets I can not take it for a day and be ok after using it for years, with the capsules that wasn't the case.  Those time release caps are the devil, IMO, and I am not a Tramadol hater at all...I persoally think it saved me from a dark period of chronic pain. I am sorry to hear that is the only avail option.
  • Posted

My first night without Tram was aweful!! OMG I thought I was going to die, really??? Just 1- 50 mg tablet? Whats in this stuff? I ended up taking 1/2 of one at 5am thismorning, passed out cold. Hubby said to take his gabapentin..I researched it and apparently lots of people do while detoxing from Tram. but do I really want to trade one for another? Thsi won't be easy and I'm not sure but I think I may try the split pill idea (thx lin). Anyone have any natural therapies that work? I would be very interested at this point! Mr.Doug...I pray you find the strength to overcome. I also have the loss of taste, loss of sex drive, and brain fog. I wish I never would have started these things but here in the US, pain killers are so easily passed out by Dr.'s that have no clue what they do long term and quite frankly, they don't care! One question I do have: after kicking the Tram addiction...what do I do aboutthe RLS and Sciatica? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sad wanna cry.
    • Posted

Sorry for the typo's 
    • Posted

Hello deb45743, I'm a recovering Tramadol addict.  I was taking, you are going to freak, 20-25 50mg pills a day last 2 yrs. Been taking Tramadol since 2007. Started out normal then slowly upping dose till May of 2014. Got sick with Adnovirus.  This messed with Tramadol somehow an got heart palpitations an skipped heart beats. I'd been praying for God to help me stop taking that poison.  I had even had a seizure in 2010 on it. But wasn't on such high dose then. I just had forgotten I had taken my morning dose an took two to soon. Back to heart palpitations,  that was May 10 of 2014, had to go to ER, my choice, an ended up all tests normal except tachycardia (high heart rate) Dr said fr Tramadol. He gave me Clonazepam (anti-anxiety) med an told me I needed to get of it. Taper down. I had tried this an it was hell on earth.  So made decision to go to medical detox for 5 days.Before this, each time I ran out I had horrible R.L.S. an insomnia, flu like symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, diaherra, frequently urinating, headaches, high blood pressure an high heart rate.  These are all withdrawl symptoms. Hot baths with Epsom salts helps R.L.S., anti-diaherra med helps alot. Take 2 a day. Lots of water with electrolytes in it. You can get packets at healthfood stores to pour in a bottle of water. Drink it. Tylenol an maybe Melatonin if you can take it. Magnesium an potassium.  Bananas an pumpkinseeds. Tramadol effects neurotransmitters in brain. It acts like a antidepressant/anti-anxiety med. I'm 5 mths off Tramadol. Currently sloooow tapering of Clonazepam (Klonapine generic) since Sept.15. Benzodiazepines are the devil to. So going thrue mental withdrawals fr it an Tramadol still. I'll be off Clonazepam in middle of Nov. I'll see how my brain is after a mnth. If I think I need help mentally will see about getting on a antidepressant/anti-anxiety med. NOT ZOLOFT!  They, dr, put me on that crap two wks after detoxing an it was ok for a mnth then horrible sideeffects.  So had taken it 2 1/2 mnths fr May 29th till started tapering off it on Aug 15 to Aug 30th. That was hell to. Crying all time, brain zaps, headaches bad, bad mood, joints hurt. Finally I think it got out of me by Sept 30th!! Now just tapering Clonazepam.  In bad mood alot an crying hurt all over an headaches sometimes. Its been hell since May but my own fault. I saw therapist for 3 mnths an going to recovery group at church. Figured out I was using Tramadol to help me with anxiety an depression.  I have lost a daughter in 2000. An other stress in my life like caring for my parents in last couple yrs. So I know full well what Tramadol does. Its horribly addicting. It has been re-classified in US. Harder to get. Im so glad I'm not on it anymore.  One more thing is my eye sight is really bad now. Im 46. Im scared Im losing my eyesight. Going to eye doc soon.

Goodluck. You can do it. Anyone can get off Tramadol either by slow taper or medically detoxing.  Dont EVER do it by stopping suddenly!!!!

• Posted

Oh My!!! I pray you recover fully and eyesight restored! I have faith. All the symptoms you stated are exactly what I am going thru on a miniscule dosage (which apparently doesn't matter). This is day 2 for me and the stress in my life at the moment is horrendous! I lost my mom last year this time, my sister was just diagnosed with end stage gastric cancer, my son and daughter in law are recovering opiate addicts that are now on methadone. I am watching this horror unfold before my eyes..they are only 31 and have 4 children we are helping raise. I depend on the Lord for my strength and direction or I wouldn't have lasted this long. My heart goes out to you and like I said, you are in my prayers as is all the Tram recovering addicts or any other addict out there! Life is short...tragedy causes awakenings...and giving up is NOT an option. May God be with us all. Thank you for your heartfelt post.
    • Posted

Zio...very sorry to hear about your daughter sad
    • Posted

I also keep bring up the neurotransmitter effects of tramadol. I feel this facet is overlooked, or at least somewhat discounted, even by those that know. And your comment on Zoloft deserves more attention. While I believe it is (in some cases) a good idea to use benzodiazepine anti-anxiety meds while coming off tramadol, I think that the use of any drug that tampers with neurotransmitters (like Zoloft) should be strictly avoided. As I've stated elsewhere in this forum, there are two fronts in the war against a tramadol addiction. The opiate type addiction, and the neurotransmitter imbalance. These are best fought one at a time. This gives two basic options. Take a more typical opioid painkiller while adjusting your neurotransmitter levels, or treat mood and anxiety while going cold turkey on the tramadol. You could also modify this approach by treating anxiety and changing the pain meds, but that could get tricky. But, again, why fight a war on two fronts if you do not have to?
    • Posted

I want to amend my last post. I mentioned going "cold turkey". This should never be done by anyone hooked on high dosages. I was referring to those who had already tapered down to regular theraputic levels, or just never got that high to begin with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.