5 days Post Op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just had my surgery done 5 days ago. I am 39 years old and in good health. I live in the States (Ohio). I wanted to post my experience on here since reading all the others really helped with the decision to go through with the surgery.

I have had a hydrocele for about 10 years on my left side. It has slowly gotten larger to the size of a small grapefruit on bad days. Makes sports uncomfortable and can see through some clothing. I finally decided to get it taken care of. I went for out-patient surgery at 8:00am and was leaving by about 10:00am. The hospital dressed me in a jockstrap packed with gauze. I have about a 3 inch incision in the middle of my testicles with stiches on the inside and glue on the outside. The first 2 days were really rough. I relied on my pain meds (oxy-codone) and ice. I bought a nice ice pack and would use 15 mins on and 30 mins off. I didn't leave my house until day 4 when I returned to work. I was pretty sore by then end of the day, but ice helped again. My swelling has not been really bad. I would say it's about 1/3 the size pre-op. I have found that wearing compression shorts (with gauze like pad on the incision) then I put the jock strap on the outside of the compression shorts for extra support really works well. I went without the jock strap for a few hours and the pain increased a lot. Wear the shorts and the jock strap.

Overall - yes, it's going to hurt. This is a very sensitive area and cut open, but so far I am so glad I got it done. I should have done this years ago. I am prepared for another week of some pain, but it is getting better each day. I would say day 1 I was about 10% mobile. Day 2 I was 20% mobile. Day 3 about 40% mobile. Day 4 50%. Day 5 (now) about 70%.

Hope this helps someone...feel free to ask questions.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to give an update (Nov 7,2014). Today is day 7. On day 6 things continued to improve. I had a work event t that I was the host of and actually did some dancing. I am a little sore, but not too bad.I am moving pretty much back to normal. I am goung to hold off on any running or exercise for at least another week or two.
  • Posted

Hi Laddman, How are you? thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Do you know how much would your surgery have cost if you hadn't had a health insurance? (I assume you have a health insurance). Also, for how long did you abstain from working out? and how are you doing right now?

God bless you

• Posted

Hello sad44158. I just looked at my bills and it appears with if you add everything up from the pre-op visits to the post-op follow ups I was bills aproximately $14,500.00. I did have insurance. I'm not sure if they would have reduced those bills if I was uninsured. I was running and working out by the 3rd week post-op. I have had no issues at all and very happy I had the surgery. It's a great think to not have to think about any longer.
  • Posted

I am a 66 year old male, and my experience in post surgery was similar to yours laddman. Lots of Ice, and Tylenol-3 until I got too constipated was what I used to relieve the pain.  Advil afterwards with the ice. By day 5 after the surgery I was able to mow my lawn with a self propelled power mower.  Day 6 I was sorer than day 4, but by the seventh day after surgery, I felt very little discomfort.  Jock strap and winged panty liners was what I was sent home wearing from the hospltal, and I stuck to that arrangement.  It gave me support, comfort, and absorbed the leakage until it stopped flowing.  I am now about 75 days after surgery, and I report no problems of ant sort.
  • Posted

Morning Sir! After d surgery 4 your Hydrocele, were u incontinent; and, if so, did u recover frm incontinence?
    • Posted

No incontinance, just constipation that started day 3 after surgery.  I read the literature that came with my Tylenol-3 from the pharmacy alerting me to possible constipation as a side-effect.  My pain was lesening, and I had only a few more Tylenol-3's to take, so i switched to the Advil to see if I got enough pain relief to stay off of The Tylenol-3 and the constipation.  The Advil worked out fine, and my constipation subsided.
    • Posted

Sorry I am just getting this. I was out of town lst week. If you are asking about constipation, I was from the pain killers. I took stool-softner to help with that side effect. As soon as I stopped taking the pills the constipation stopped as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.