Orlistat...if you don't go, does it not work?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi all

I'm new to Orlisat. My first day. But I have a question I forgot to ask my GP.

I'm eating a lower fat intake anyway to support the weight loss...but, if I don't get the \"oily stool\" does that mean it's not working?

I had two slices of toast before...each were 0.7g of fat. So there WAS fat in them...but I've not seen any changes in my stool.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it take up to a third out of ANY amount of fat?

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Edited

when taking a tablet it automatically eliminates a 1/3 of the fat you consume in that meal be it 3g or 13g. oily stools and orange oil accidents occur if you have overstepped the fat intake rule (max of 30g fat per day, no more than 15g per meal)

say for example you ate something which for a meal was 18g fat, a third of that is 6g and the body would struggle to naturally pass out 6g and this is when you may get the oily stool or accident

no side effects are a sign you are doing this right. make sure you are eating a healthy amount of food still, dont be hungry, theres so many foods you can eat and add to meals to help keep full until the next meal, remember you're not just loosing weight but re-educating yourself on healthy eating for when you no longer need these tablets!

good luck smile

• Posted

Thank you for this info, I have had no side effects (I've. Been watching my fat intake) but I haven't had any weight loss in since starting it 3 weeks ago so I'm very disheartened. On the plus side I think twice before I eat any thing so my diet has improved!

• Posted

Don't be disheartened, orlistat does work, it just take some time. How I wish I can attach a picture to show you how it worked on be in the period of 5 months of taking Aslene.

• Posted

Hello

I just started week 2 of zenical. Now and I'm also following a 1000-1200 calorie a day on my fitness pal I'm monitoring fat calories and carbs etc not going over any allowable and I'm still having the oily stools?

• Posted

need more fibre to bulk out your stools which will then be less oily as theĀ fat will sit within the stool itself rather than coming out on its own making the mess in the pan
    • Posted

Wondering if this is normal three weeks ago I stayed the same two weeks in a row it happened again this time last week and this week the scale didn't move I am downtown and a half pounds since November 1st is when I started but I'm loving it going a little more frequent than usual but nothing out of the ordinary and from what I understand if you go to the bathroom it's working but you got to watch this I didn't take for sure

• Posted

Thanks for such a great and quick response! As long as I know it's working! lol. There seems to be a lot of confusion out there...I think people need more information really from the GPs...something more straightforward!

In a nutshell...the \"oily stool\" business is the orlistat telling you to behave yourself. Like a warning sign.

I think I understand now. Thank you. smile

• Edited

I think most people on here have found GPs do not have knowledge on these tablets, everything i know has come from here over the last 9 months.
  • Posted

Wrong though really when you think about it. Gps handing out these tablets without knowing much about them.

But...thankfully this site is here so we can compare and contrast. he he. I appreciate your help, I was really nervous! smile

• Posted

really all you need to do is stick to the rule of 30g max a day, 15g max a meal, combine that with a healthy balanced diet - plenty of fruit n veg, exercise and drinking water and you should see effective weight loss.

also as you've just started it might be worth taking your measurements as you should see inch loss and lbs loss.

spend a bit of extra time when you go food shopping, theres a lot out there if you look for it its not all chicken veg n rice!

• Posted

Hi,

Just on this subject, i was on these tablets a year ago and stopped because i was getting a trapped wind sensation whenever i ate. i moved and joined a new doctor who told me if you meal is less than 4g of fat then not to take a tablet with it as it could cause gastro pain (pain anywhere in the tummy or food pipe)

Carley

• Posted

Well I must admit yesterday probably wasn't the best day to start them. I was working nights and consequently I don't have a \"normal\" dinner at night...we can't cook anything healthy so I end up eating rubbish like toast etc and I must admit I was particularly gassey (ahem). SLIGHT abdo cramps but nothing massive really...just grumbles and rumbles. I imagine this was because I'd taken a tablet and not eaten a proper meal?

I've had breakfast this morning...cornflakes with milk and a banana so I took a tablet this morning...no \"oil\" so i assume I was within my limit fat wise.

I'll be able to have my proper 3 meals today so I'll see if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys! smile

• Posted

WEIRD!

I thought that yesterday I had a fair amount of fat, I had toast, and even a donut!! (I know I know, Im bad. lol)...but no oily stools. You'd imagine I would!

Today I got a SLIGHTLY oily \"leak\" for want of a better word, from ONE piece of toast an hour ago...but nothing from my breakfast this morning which contained milk etc?

Confused.com!

• Posted

If you eat fat outside of the tablet window (approx. two hours) then the tablet doesn't work - effectively cheating - this way you can end up eating excessive calories and this can jeopardise your weight loss.

Take any fat with the meal, snack on zero fat foods in between.

The tablet is allowed to work and you will get a warning if you eat too much fat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.