colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I too am terrified of having a colonoscopy scheduled for this Friday. I have read the different experiences and don't know what to think as the experiences are so varied. Last year I had a flexi sigmoidoscopy without sedation, or pain relief, which was okay - just a bit uncomfortable. A polyps was found and therefore the doctor wants to check for more higher up. But the colonoscopy seems to be more undignified and painful. I do not want to be sedated as (a) I need to keep my memory for work; (b) I do not like being out of control; and (c) I have read some awful experiences of people being sedated. Therefore I am just going to have the pain relief. During the flexi I was embarrassed at the sensation of wind needing to be released and regardless of being told it is part of everyday work for the medics - it is not for me. This adds to the undignified process. So, although intellectually I know that having a colonoscopy will save my life, I am still very worried about the prep, the procedure and of course the results.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You don't have to worry about losing memory for work ! You shouldn't be working the next day anyway and any effects from sedation are very short lived, usually it has worn off after an hour.

I have sedation every time and personally it doesn't effect my memory at all, I watch the whole procedure on the screen and am perfectly in control, if I need to say anything to the doc then it's no problem.

A colonoscopy is no more undignified than a sig, the staff should make you feel at ease and at no time should you be left with your bits on show !

I have always been covered with a sheet and lights dimmed during the whole thing.

A lot of course depends on the med team, I might be lucky in having a good unit to attend.

Try not to worry, if you are anxious tell the staff they will be well used to dealing with the problem.

Good luck and wish you well.

• Posted

Hi I am the other terrified of colonoscopy candidate - good luck on friday and post how you got on.

At least it will be out of the way for the bank holiday which then you will hopefully be able to relax and enjoy

T

• Posted

Hi - I agree with the previous post here in that the med staff should make you feel at ease and also that your modesty should be maintained at all times. During my colonoscopy (last week) the hospital I attended have now adopted some very attractive (not :lolsmile disposable shorts (one size fits all!). They have a little flap on the back which the doc opens and pops the scope through, so even if your sheet moves, none of your 'bits' will be seen. This is a big improvement if you ask me and one which I think all hospitals should adopt. The wind I had just released itself very quietly, so I didn't feel embarrassed at all. They dimmed the lights too in the endoscopy suite and had music on in the background, which I found quite comforting. Why can't all hospitals provide the same service? If I had enough money I would conduct my own survey/research into patient satisfaction during colonoscopy, because from what I've read/learned myself, I'm appalled at some of the stories I've seen. Just think that in a couple of days it will all be behind you (excuse the pun!)

Good luck and very best wishes.

• Posted

My experience was okay despite the fact that when I arrived my appointment had been cancelled but nobody had told me! That freaked me completely as I had done two days of prep which was quite difficult. However, the clinic recognised that having two days of prep was not fun and managed to fit me in. This chaos contributed to my anxiety. When I walked from the booking-in room to the waiting area and saw patients semi-conscious recovering from their procedures I freaked again. I had told the booking-in nurse I did not want to be sedated but she responded to my anxiety attack by telling me I would have to be sedated. Fortunately my husband was with me and I managed to convince the staff that he needed to stay with me during the procedure. This is unusual but I really appreciated him being with me. The doctor tried to persuade me to have sedation but I refused. He said that the pain relief and sedation work well together. They probably do. I was a dreadful patient - a complete wreck and scared stiff. I was so glad my husband was there as he helped as an intermediary. I got the Fentanyl which had little effect. But I found the procedure similar to the flexi. There were about 10 really difficult bouts of discomfort when the doctor went round the corners during which I squeezed my husband's hand so hard! Nothing was found and I was given the all clear. In recovery I was wide awake and able to leave earlier than those sedated. Read the doctors notes which said I was a very anxious patient! The staff coped really well with me! I had less post procedural discomfort than for the flexi. I was out and at a meeting at 1pm and felt absolutely fine. No after effects at all. Obviously relieved it was all over and relieved nothing was discovered. Also, despite all my anxieties we have a wonderful NHS here. This procedure was for my benefit to screen for disease.

With regard to the modesty bit - that was not really my problem - I was worried about the general loss of dignity when you are a patient. In fact I did not feel worried about the process itself but more concerns about the place it is! Also I was very worried about the air being pumped in and having to release it - I did not have a problem with that. It was worse for the flexi.I would have loved to have had some music on. One of the most difficult things for me was how to occupy myself during the time and distract myself from the screen. Research into patient satisfaction would be a good idea. I am so glad I did not have sedation. I am so glad my husband was there and so glad nothing was found. But the anxiety before was a problem. I will have another one when I am called and I am sure I will be just as nervous.

Thank you for your comments! How did you get on T?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.