6 week update post scarf osteotomy fusion 2nd toe with weilsostetomyof 2/3 toes and ligament release

Posted , 6 users are following.

thought i would postsome pics to show you how my feet are transforming over time.

first 3 at 5weeks just after pin removal - feet very dry

others today  feet uch softer. l/foot was done 20 yrs ago slightly different procedures. i have been concerned about bend in toe on r foot but it is improving and should improve more as swelling subsides. my feet dont match exactly but i feel very happy with them.  I was able to get into my fitflop boots today.  Not bad considering the extensive surgery. In addition to the bunion and fusion of 2nd toe i also had the bones shortened in 2nd and 3rd toes (weils osteotomy andd ligament release of 3rd 4th and 5th toes. 4th toe is elevated still but foot is still quite swollen. My bunion was severe it was almost crossing the second toe and caused it to hae a hammer toe.  I am walking around quite comfortably in my fitflops now but using a crutch outdoors as still feel a bit unsteady.

hope it helps to see how things change in a matter of weeks and days particularly as the hard sn and scabs start to disappear. was heaven when i first soaked my foot in the bath after neary 6 weeks.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can you tell me how to load pictures please?
    • Posted

Hi

I had to load from my pc could not upload from my phone.

There is a mountain symbol at the top of page when you start new conversation cluck on that your files need to be small less than 4 mbs I think mine ste all around 1.5 and r jpeg

• Posted

Hi Sheila. yours look really great you must be really pleased well done.  I know we have spoken before. I am nearly 5 weeks. I have not been given any physio and my next appointment isn't for at least another 2 months. Had both toes akin and  internal screws. Shall I start some physio I have found on Internet? Both my toes are pointing up still and do not bend at all. I know it's early days but feel I should be doing something! Help!! Ha ha! X
    • Posted

Hi Paula

I think it is very important you listen to your surgeons advice as every procedure is different and recovery advice is therefore different. If the post op advice is nit clear, you absolutely must contact your surgeon. I was not referred for Physio until after my xrays af 5 weeks and post pin removal. Xrays normally done at 6 weeks but I had requested my appt be brgt forward. The xrays showed I was fully healed.

I followed my surgeons advice to the letter. Phoned up and clarified when I was not sure. Elevated strictly in first two weeks and used post op shoe and bunion brace till 6 weeks.

Post op advice in my opinion is quite poor I thought maybe if wad because I am a nurse they assumed I knew but I am hearing the same story on here.

Mg toes were ver stiff when I came out of post op shoe and my toe was sore for a few days after pin removal . However amazing how much flexibility came back once I started walking in post op shoe. I do not know of any specific exercises yet but my surgeon showed me how to manually flex my toes.

When is yr next appt?

• Posted

Sorry I meant walking jn normal shoe. I am using fit flops at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi I was wondering how you are getting along now. I just had my second toe fused two months ago. Did this effect your walking gait ? Do you ever feel off balance ?
  • Posted

Hi Sheila.

i am not due an appointment til they contact me in either 6 to 10 weeks time where they will X-ray my feet.when I had my first set of dressings removed 2 weeks ago I was told to remove these dressings in 2 weeks which I have done. That I would no longer need to use my surgical shoes. I have been quite active for the past few weeks anyway such as washing up, unpacking dishwasher, making cups of tea and sorting out my own breakfast and lunches. Even did a bit of ironing yesterday! I just got the impression from my surgeon that be as active as I could and doing what my body was telling me I could or couldn't do. I hope you don't mind me have such I depth conversations with you on this! X

• Posted

Hi

I am happy to talk to you as I share what u going through. I too have been very active but was told to keep shoe for 6 weeks. But i did have extensive surgery so as long as u follow yr own instructions you should be fine. If you not sure of anything tho just give them a ring. After all they are your health advisers. Better to ask than to delay yr recovery because u dint know what to do.

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I did phone the hospital and was told to keep the shoe on 24 hours a day for another 2 weeks. As far as physio, they just said to flex my toes up and down. I have downloaded some physio and have done that today and my toes already feel a little more flexible! I have posted a photos. Don't know if you can see it. What do you think about the gap?, x
    • Posted

Wow looks great toe is straighter than mine. I think you will find gap will close a little as you progress to more weight bearing and gain more flexibility in yr toes. Most of us with bendy toes wld love that straight toe. Did you have fusion of 2nd toe ?

I had hoped to get akin but they didn't do it. However I am now very happy. It takes a long time for tissue to heal properly and as that happens your foot will change shape a bit more.

Good news about you needing surgical shoe for longer , glad you finally got the right advice. X

• Posted

Yes I am really pleased with big toes. I didn't have anything done with 2nd toes. I'm glad you are happy with your result as yours look great. Feel more comfortable with shoe back on. Thank you for your ears!! X
    • Posted

Hi. Toes look wonderfully straight. One of mine is like that but the other looks less straight than when it was first done. I too have a gap. Had MIS on both feet and hammer toe sorted on one foot 6 weeks ago. Lovely sandals now don't need to be worn now. Advised to now wear for separator to bel keep toe straighter as it continues to heal over the. Ext few weeks. Sure that everything will settle. Good luck for your continued recovery
    • Posted

Thank you Karen. I think these forums are great. It makes you feel you're not on you own and we can all feed off others best practices. Good luck to you too. Here's to next summer with a choice of lovely looking flip flops eh! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.