Is this really IBS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So it all started roughly 3 weeks ago where suddenly one day I was getting really bad stomach cramps, bloating, a lot of gas especially after eating (my stomach would literally rumble all the time, eating or not eating), had very little appetite. Went to the doctors a few days later and they said I had a stomach infection, I wasn't having diarrhea or vomiting at the time.

I started to worry a lot during the next week or so as I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and the symptoms weren't changing at all. I lost about a stone of weight in a week and a half which I assume was down to not eating  (I could only manage a few bananas a day) 

About a week and a half later my stomach cramps seemed to stop and a pain developed just under my right set of ribs, which seemed to get worse and worse as the days went by. I started to get really loose BMs of a weird greeny dark orange colour which seemed to reduce the pain and would find myself going 2/3 a day and not feel empty after the first. I find myself needing to urinate a lot more frequently too, maybe cause I'm drinking a load of water? 

I went to the doctors a few more times and got shrugged off saying it was all down to my anxiety which was causing the issues?

Finally I got to see a good doctor who gave me a blood test which came back with nothing and said I had IBS which was developed as a post-infection mixed with my anxiety levels. I kept asking if any other tests were required and he kept saying there is no point. 

Now I usually have a constant pain under my right ribcage, which comes and goes through the day, usually worse after eating, sometimes under my left ribcage is a feint pain too and sometimes it'll rise into upper abdomen, where I'll get what I assume is heartburn? A weird burning sensation behind  my left, sometimes right breastplate, is that what heartburn is like? I have no idea. I have a very small appetite. 

I'm still getting the bloating, a lot of gassiness especially after eating and slmetimes getting these weird pains in my lower and upper back. I'm also these getting random twitches and aches round my body at times. Including a weird stinging pain sometimes in my neck. I've  had a Swishing in one ear for a while which the doc has guaranteed is due to a lot of wax build up so I'm taking ear drops for that which aren't doing anything. 

So what the hell is going on here? Sorry for the massive essay sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm also constantly worrying about my weight and usually weigh myself every day.  I'd say I'm eating around 1000 calories a day which is obviously not as much as I need, but I find it very  hard to eat more. If my weight is fluctuating by a few lbs every day is this normal? 
  • Posted

this is the way i feel about my IBS....havin lots of anxiety issues....this is for some reason a common feeling....you feel the symptoms you have have to be worse....but blood tells all....if the doctors have no reason to send you for further tests....feel happy about that....i have the same feeling....i feel something is wrong, despite suffering for 12 years with occasional IBS and anxiety buildups...
    • Posted

Are you having similar symptoms to me then? I think I'm super anxious because it's only been going on for a few weeks now so I'm new to these horrible symptoms. 
    • Posted

I experience this....wake up feeling stressed, i go to the bathroom worrying about whats going to come out....then I spend the morning trying to get my mind clear and positive....throughout the day at work, I feel my stomach doing all kinds of things...sharp pains, stomach cramps, full of gas and sometimes pains that I dont know how to describe....this in turn creates a lot of anxiety and fear that maybe I have something worse....but I had blood tests and ultrasound and now 2 months later, my mind wont accept....because I have developed a health anxiety issue as a result of my IBS as the symptoms can be the same for so many illnesses....but I dont have them....try doing Tai Chi...when I was 17 was when I first experienced IBS to my knowledge and this led to a 6 month panic disorder...I only got over it by talking to people and doing Tai Chi and mediation...it is no miracle worker...it will take some time....but for me it worked and I am trying to do this again as I feel a little helpless....just remembrr, if the doctor diagnosed this....they know best....be confident and understand your mind always works....you can tell yourself you have wings and can fly....and your mind will say it to you and believe it....but you know you dont and cant....its the same with the anxiety about your health

• Posted

I am suffering too and in the middle of tests and doc wants me to take antidepessnt celexa.  not happy, tired, no energy, gas, abdominal pain and bloating and all this came about syuddenly.just so disgusted.  had something wrong all year. ugh
    • Posted

I've been experiencing symptoms for 20 years...sometimes they really act up and sometimes they are dormant. I've bene put in the 'IBS bubble' ... as I like to call it, but quite honestly the symptoms suck and I'm so disguted, as well.  So sick of feeling sick with no relief!  Nothing works for me, it so discouraging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.