Candesartan ups and downs

Posted , 6 users are following.

After taking the Amias version of Candesartan for some weeks I took two doses (8mg OD) of the generic version produced by Sandoz. Then I woke up during the night really struggling to breathe. It lasted about two hours. My nose was blocked and I struggled to clear my throat. A strong allergic reaction to a different ingredient in the tablet. Thankfully, I was able to change back immediately to the previous version but I wonder if anyone else has also reacted to one of the generic versions. (I know there are sound reasons for generic versions of drugs because of cost and also that there are variations in the formulations, indeed some years ago I had terrible leg cramps with Istin but not with the generic version so they are not all bad).

When I first took Amias (8mg OD) it reduced my systolic pressure to a regular 150, which was marvellous for an 86 year old. Then, after some eight or nine weeks, the reading began creeping up to the high 160's and low 170's. A cadiologist couldn't offer any explanation. I wonder whether, after that length of time, I am experiencing a buildup of one particular ingredient in the drug. Anyone else had the same experience? Would be very interested to know as I am thinking of reducing the dose to see what happens.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

had simular experince except coughing up blood high b,p this medication contains maise starch which when manufactored, the manufactors add sulphites as a preservetive to stop moulds growing on it. sulphites are well known to cause lung problems  and they are used  in many medication which doctors do not know. 
    • Posted

Hi tanya - very interesting, I did not know about the addition of sulphites to medications or the effects they can have on lungs.  This has given me something else to research, I am taking irbesartan for High BP and I am worried about my 'breathlessness' on exertion such as walking up a rise.  I used to be quite fit and walked a lot, now it is very difficult for me.  Thanks for this information! 
  • Posted

I started taking Candesartan 18months ago--since then I have been on a Brown inhaler used morning and night--a blue inhaler for daily use--bought my own Nebuliser--told I have asthma--a heart murmur--seems to be endless. I will take this information up with my Dr this week as I am not to have any preservatives which cause me allergies. Thanks for the information, it could be the cause of my troubles.
  • Posted

Hi Colin

Just started on Candersartan 8g last night as I wanted to see what side effects i will encounter. I read that one of the side effect affect the respiratory. I also find out that it can increase your potassium level which means if you eat potassium food .It will add to the high potassium level. I am watching what i eat to not eat banana, and lemon which i usually have in the morning. My Bp gone done from 183/123 to 163/113 this morning. I am keeping an eye on my bp cause i need it down so I can have my operation for endomitosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.