Atorvastatin

Posted , 10 users are following.

After a heart attack in May I was prescribed, amongst other things, 40 mgs of atorvastatin daily as a precaution.  My consultant cut it down to 20mgs in September as cholesterol levels seemed fine and I have no further appointments to see the consultant.  Latest blood test showed my cholesterol level at 5 which my GP said would be fine for most but, as I've had a heart attack, he'd like my level to be 4 and he's put me back on 40mgs of atorvastatin.  He'll do another blood test in a month or two. 

Obviously one heart attack was ample and I don't want another and my GP is great so generally trusting what he says but...was a bit upset to return to 40mgs. 

Has anyone experienced up and dpwn dosages with statins or have a view on my recent experience.  It goes without saying that I do my best to maintain a healthy lifestyle, watch what I eat and all that jazz.  Thanks.

Alex

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I havew 'yellow flacked' the drug.

It gave me, amongth others, muscle cramp, muscle weakness, nightmares, breathying difficulties.

Statins are NOT  the answer to preven  coronary decease, I think.

It is something, in my opinion, pushed by the pharmaceutical industry and rather naive medics.

• Posted

Whilst I'm one of those who had terrible issues with statins and decided it was wrong for me to take them, for women who have had previous cardiac issues, they are very much recommended.  The furore about statins is mostly related to them being prescribed unnecessarily as a 'just in case' measure.  For women with no history of heart problems there is no evidence they do any good whatsoever as a 'preventative measure'.  However for men with risk factors and for women with previous events, they are found to be very effective.  Unless you are experiencing any serious side effects, particularly muscle problems, it's good advice to keep your cholesterol level low to prevent another attack.  Just monitor your reaction to them carefully and obviously get your liver function checked regularly.  I do hope all the measures you've put into place are good for you and keep you healthy. xx
    • Posted

Thanks Loxie.  I was happy to stay on the lower dose of 20mg - just not happy for it to be doubled.  Anyway will wait and see the result of next blood test before doing anything drastic. 

Alex

• Posted

Yes a heart attack could be very scary,but it is not nice to live with joint pains 

on a daily basis.I hope your doctor can find a alternative for you with less 

side effects. 

Best of luck

Regards Eugene.

• Posted

I took simvastain for about two years and then had severe cramps and loss of function in both arms. It went when I stopped the drug. I tried it again a week later and had severe strength loss in both arms which again went when I stopped the drug. Since my colesterol level is now 7.9, they want me to try again this time with atovastatin. Does anyone know whether the side effects described in 1 in 10 people on the drug-ie. muscle cramps are reversable? I am worried about a repetition and permanent damage. My sister has tried three statins and ended up in hospital. Thanks for any information RosemaryW
    • Posted

Hi Rosemary.  I had the same problem with simvastatin, which is the first port of call for most GP's as it's off patent and therefore the cheapest.  It is however the one most likely to cause muscle problems and doctors will look to change to atorvastatin next if this becomes a problem.  My partner changed to atorvastatin and had even worse issues but as survivor has said, everyone is different and I do have friends who have taken statins for years with much less difficulty.  I think it's a matter of trying what's offered to see if it works without too bad a side effect.  I stopped taking statins two years ago and still do have some residual pain and discomfort which I didnt have before taking them but it's greatly improved from when I was on simvastatin, where I got to the point I couldnt function at all.  I'm hoping over the coming years the pain will eventually go but if not, then I'll cope with it because it's much less than it was before.  Unfortunately some people do not tolerate statins of any kind and you need to discuss further options with your doctor if this happens to you but it's certainly worth trying the atorvastatin in the interim.  My cholesterol was immensely high at 9 when I was first prescribed them but I'm now trying a more natural route to keep it lower by exercise, diet and supplements.  I've decided the risk of permanent disability from muscle damage is higher for me than the risk of heart attack or stroke but you mustn't let other people's situation influence your own.  Good luck. xx
    • Posted

Thanks for message.  Others will know more than me about side effects and permanent damage.  I'm not aware of side effects on 20mgs of Atorvastatin. 
    • Posted

Hi Loxie

many thanks for your message. I did speak with my GP today and we have made  plan that I will try again for 3 months to get it reduced with the more natural route like yours and then get it re-tested and review what actio  to take. Regarding any permanent muscle problems if you get a bad reaction, she agreed that these may continue after stopping the drug with some people.

The thing that has pushed me into re-looking at getting my colesterol down is that recently I had an episode of double vision and the doctor at the hospital thinks it might have been a small bleed in the muscle around the eye possibly not helped by any colesterol lying around there.

It's been really helpful to be able to discuss this with you all. Many thanks RoemaryX

• Posted

Hello Alexandra123, we are all individuals biochemically speaking. What works for one may not for another. Poor results/outcomes with one statin do not mean that others Statins will not work differently. My cholesterol profile led to MI's in my 20s, long before Statins were available; when they were I was tried on various drugs singly and in combination. I am on 80mg Atorvastatin + 10mg Ezetimibe for the last 10+ years with excellent control, this was from a Fasting level in the mid - teens originally. Muscle pain was horrendous at first but I was able to somehow get through it. Still surviving and still smiling! Best of luck.
  • Posted

This comment is not directed at "Alexandra123" Its more just an observation.

I'm a runner of 40 years with a monk-like diet, non smoker and a modest drinker. My cholesterol has slowly crept up to 7.2 and i was advised to see a consultant. He advised me that my problem was hereditary and not lifestyle. I take all the suppliments that promote lower cholesterol but still it rises.

To cut to the chase i had an angiogram and now awaiting a stent and in the interim have been prescribed Atorvastatin. I have seen all the webstes on the dangers and side effects of Statins. I dislike the phrase "side effects" because theare "effects" however you  you dress them up.

I have just started taking statins because i have no choice as my blockage in one of my my arteries were 90%. I am waiting for side effects to start and being a runner very scared of any irriversable muscle wastage.

My point is that this discussion page seems not very active for such a contreversial subject.... Im trying to find out how long does it take for the more serious side effects to kick in.  

Do any of you guys have any information? There is no advise on the tablets half life which incidentally is 14 hrs....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.