Respite from Indapamide

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Indapamide for 8 months (along with Enalapril and Amlodipine). I am nauseous often, get up in the night three times, have a nasty taste in my mouth and much food tastes horrible. I bruise easily, have ferocious leg cramps and am very tired, having slept fpr 12hours recently. However my BP is below 140/80. Manufacturers suggest simple management techniques without considering the severity of the undesirable side effects. At 65 I am not ready to be disabled by my medication.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have just started taking this medication and have similar symptoms, however I have been told to drink plenty and the side effects should gradually improve
    • Posted

I have just started taking this as well and am also getting similar symptoms.  I have debilitating trapped nerves in my lower back from a hip operation and it seems to be making the pain worse, at least it was this morning.  I also have a funny taste in my mouth which seems salty and it can't be salt because I don't have it.  Oh well, I will try more water as someone said and give it a bit of time.  Hope you are now improved.
    • Posted

Annette - Interesting that it makes your back pain worse. I found that it made my hip pain (which is due to mild arthritis) almost unbearable - since stopping Indapamide about 10 days ago it feels back to normal. I believe it will take a few weeks to clear all the symptoms of Indapamide out of my system (hopefully).
  • Posted

Indapamide is my fourth BP tablet (the first one, Bendroflumethiazide was becoming ineffective) which I was prescribed after the previous two (Amlodipine and Ramipril) had unacceptable side effects - pain and swelling in all limbs and as you say, have ended up feeling a disabled wreck.  The Indapamide added a feeling of nausea to the list so have given up until my next visit to the doctor.  In the meantime have resorted to Ibuprofen with Codeine to deal with the pain.  I could only use paracetomol when taking BP tablets as NSAIDs have to be avoided.  On the plus side, my BP last week when I wasn't taking any BP medication, was high normal (140/82)
  • Posted

It's interesting to read these comments. I have been taking Indapamide for about 9 months and recently have had ongoing nausea, leg pain and feeling very tired. Unfortunately, I am running out of options as I've tried several other BP medications which have also gave me side effects. Will try drinking more water to see if that helps, otherwise I need to take another trip to my GP (who has been very supportive but must be sick of the sight of me !!!!)
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have been taking this for a month now and it has definitely lowered my BP but at a cost.  For the last two days I have felt very nauseaus and dizzy and not in control of myself.  Everything I eat seems to stick and I am also not willing at 68 to be disabled by my medication. Half the time I am asleep which is very inconvenient as I look after my Father who is 102 and doesn't live with us but on his own.  I have to see the Doctor on 7th October but I think I may hve to go before then.  It seems to be low BP or bust regardless of how things make people feel.  So sick of it now, it's been going on for 10 years which is really tiresome. I hope you are feeling better now and tht you have got some sort of resolution.

• Posted

Annette I must sympathise with you and all others who are suffering from the side effects of BP medication. I have stopped taking Indapamide as it was making me feel absolutely aweful. I still have nausea even though I have not taken Indapamide for over three weeks. This is now accompanied by stomach cramps and flatulence which I am assuming is the after effects of this medication. I can't believe we have to go through such misery so I urge suppliers of these medications to carry out more stringent tests before they put them on the market. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.