Does anyone have experience using Slippery Elm for diverticular pain?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with diverticulosis and with my doctor's knowledge have been using Slippery Elm for a week.  It is working, but I have questions about it.  In particular, I'd like to know if it's better to take it before a meal or after, and when I should take a fiber supplement, and other medications in conjunction with it.  

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on this stuff.  The action appears to be to create a gloopy layer on the gut lining, but it also implies that there may be some sedative effect to the surface of the lining.  If this is true then it might explain why it might possibly relieve discomfort - but - if the gut is anaesthetised, surely the peristaltic action that should move matter through will also be further reduced?  That in turn must make the gut less motile and the whole diverticular situation is worsened, long-term? 

Whilst no doubt a lot of important drugs are based on 'natural' plant extracts - so is methanol!  (Methanol is a lethal neurotoxin in only small volumes!).

So, the 'slippery' bit sounds fine - much like the action of lactulose, maybe? - but its the anesthetic bit that aims to relieve the pain (possibly) but might be counterproductive if it stops the gut from passing stuff through.... chicken-and-egg ..... Catch-22?  :-(

Cheers,

Pete.    

• Posted

Hi Pete,  Thank you for responding.  I looked at Wikipedia and couldn't find anything about a sedative effect.  One article, and I wish I could cite it, did mention that if one takes it at bedtime one should be prepared to go to sleep.  That would be sedated. The articles I've read make no mention of an anesthetizing effect, but rather of a soothing and mildly anti-imflammatory effect.  Several sources have referred to it as an "internal Bandage", and "soothing and healing" .  It's a demulcent.

I have, that said, noticed a difference in my bowels.  I've had a lot of gas, but it took me a while to twig to the fact that I shouldn't be eating broccoli.  Gas aside, they do seem to be moving more slowly, but the results are good.  I think my problem is in figuring out what to eat and when, and I got some information on that so now I can start taking a fiber supplement (is that recommended for diverticulosis?) and a probiotic (which jacquie (sp?) has had success with).  There was a list of foods that was mentioned somewhere in this foroum, among reams of other back and forthing. Is there a way I could get ahold of that list?

I'm going to give it a little bit more time   If you're interested in reading more about it, I did manage to jot down some references

As for "gloopy" - it's slimey (ick) and blobby, but it doesn't taste bad and goes right down, and things do come out the other end.  Give it a trybiggrin

Cheers back at you,

Carol

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as they were to sites unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

There was a list of foods that was mentioned somewhere in this foroum, among reams of other back and forthing. Is there a way I could get ahold of that list?

If you mean the DIVI DINERS discussion it is here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/divi-diners-246516

If you go to the top of this page and click "Diverticula" in the breadcrumb you will see the full list of discussions.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you, Alan.

I thought I'd have to wade through lots of discussions, but your directions got me to the list quickly.

Carol

• Posted

Hello Carol

iv just started using Slippery Elm the last two day and I have not felt so good for a long time

I know its early days.

I have no pain in the Colon no problems going to the toilet and no bloating

im still very careful about

what I eat

even my GP checked it on the Net and she said there was no reason not to use it

with the medication I'm on

I would suggest anyone thinking of using it to check with their GP first

K

• Posted

How do you use your slippery elm. Do you take powder or capsules? I was wondering how much water you use.
  • Posted

Hi Kieran,

It's good to hear that Slippery Elm is working for you, and that your GP cleared you to take it.  I've had to stop taking it because I have to have some allergy testing and the allergist doesn't know what the chemical makeup of SE is.  Fortunately I'm not in a lot of pain, but I'm having discomfort, so I'm going with the really bland diet for a while (5 days til I have the testing).

One thing I thought of  tonight is how important it is to chew.  The digestion process starts in the mouth.  I never think of that and because I'm hungry, or thinking of things, I think I sort of half chew my food.  I'm going to try to be more aware now, maybe it could make a difference.

Why I thought of that is, I asked my GP for a list of foods and she gave me one that she got off a popular medical website.  The subject was how diverticulosis is treated, and the first thing one the list is to avoid constipation.  Then there was a really brief list of foods (broad categories with no mention of removing the skin) - fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains/high in fiber. Yikes!  Maybe the difference in the two diets is "diverticulosis" vs "diverticulitis".  Also on the list is (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to quote): plenty of fluids so urine is light yellow or clear, exercise, fiber supplement (starting with a small dose).  Now beans??  Doesn't sound like they mean string beans, but the next paragraph says (again) that treatment involves adding fiber, and not eating foods that cause gas, pain, or other symptoms.  What's gassier than beans, other than broccoli maybe?

I think it's a learning process. Because we are all different each one of us has to find our own way, and discussions like this make us aware of options.

Be well,

Carol

• Posted

Hi.  I have  diverticulosis now.  Just had my colonoscopy last week.  Yiks!  Anyway, I was taking Slippery Elm for severe constipation which I believe is what brought on the diverticulitis...I took the Slippery Elm and it did relieve the pain and constipation.  I take one drop full in the morning and before bed.  I get the drops from Amazon.  They work better for me.  I did try the herbal capsules but not as good.  It's no fun going through this so anything that helps if natural I will take.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Has anyone had a problem with sleepy elm making stomach hurt! I broke two open last night and poured water on it and drink it and as soon as I did it made my stomach hurt. 
  • Posted

Does anyone get a stomach ache after they take slippery elm? I broke two capsules and put them in water and drank it and after I did I had a stomach ache! I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem. I understand that taking them that way it works quicker. Should I just try one capsule or none!
  • Posted

Does anyone else have a stomach ache when taking slippery elm. I broke two capsules into and added water and drank it and after I did my stomach started hurting. I know taking this way it gets quicker in your system. Should I just try one or just forget about it since it makes my stomach hurt.
  • Posted

Does slippery elm make your stomach hurt! I opened two capsules and pour water over them and drink that slimmy stuff and then it made my stomach hurt. Does anyone else had this happen to them. Any suggestions on what I should do. Maybe just take one and see what happens or just forget about it.
    • Posted

Come on now I can't be the only one that this has happened to! Nobody else has any stomach pain after taking slippery elm!

• Posted

Not me either. I've had good results with no side effects from slippery elm! I haven't ran across anyone but you and my daughter so far with having trouble with it! My daughter has onion, Avacado and banana allergies! We believe it's an allergic reaction.Yoy may very well be doing the same thing!

• Posted

Do you have any stomach pain using sleepy elm.? I took 2 and it made my stomach hurt. Do you use powder or capsule. I used somebody suggestion of opening two capsules in water and drinking it that was a big mistake. I don't think you are suppose to eat the herbs that way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.