Questions, questions etc, just want to clear up a few

Posted , 2 users are following.

New experience to me, I am looking at it philosophically but I am a bit of a control freak by nature, I need to know the whole thing, what will happen when I get there, what induction? who will attend and who will be present, can I opt to have drugs or not, can I change my mind mid-way, so many questions.

how do you make this an experience that is not embarassing and awkward?

Pain etc, I treat it like most things Docs say no, victims say yes, Possibly.

if anyone can give me a run down I'd appreciate it,

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you look at the post 2 down the list it gives an idea of how the day goes, although hospitals work in their own ways so may be differences.

If you want to know more then I can maybe help with your questions.

• Posted

That would be good of you, if you have been through this I'd appreciate the offer. I have concerns and I'm sure they are the same concerns as others.

I've read that there are generally an Endoscopist and two nurses in attendance, are these the same nurses that carry out the inductions?

• Posted

Yes I have to have one every 2 years, shortly it will be annually, great !

There will be a Dr and one or two nurses who will usually be the theatre nurses, not the same nurses that you will have seen on the day ward.

So you will be seen by the staff on the ward first for forms and BP and so on, then a nurse from theatre will come and get you when it's your turn, then you may go into a recovery bay afterwards so another nurse will be there, then back to the ward until you go home.

Remember you will have to be collected by someone if you have sedation, not allowed to drive for 24 hours.

Hospitals have there own routines so may not go exactly like that but probably not far off it.

• Posted

Thank you, it's nice of you to help out, these questions are virtually laughed off when I ask the Professionals, they see too many to be realistic.

What about the actual procedure, I find the thought excruciatingly embarassing, and I simply don't know enough, how do they do it, and how can they allow you to retain some dignity, I know this sounds ridiculous, my Doctor, wife and the endoscopy person at the hospital I spoke to said the same but for me it's a real issue.

• Posted

If you look on You Tube I seem to remember there are some videos of the procedure. You lie on your left side, canula in your hand, oxygen up your nose, BP cuff on your arm, scope with a camera on the end and off they go.

The lights will be turned off in the theatre and you will be able to watch it on screen, you will be covered with a sheet and at no time should be left with

anything on show although they have seen it all before so you really have no need to worry.

• Posted

Thank you, I've spoken to the Hospital today and they have agreed to contact me at the first opportunity of an unfilled cancellation, I just need this to happen soon, the wait is worse than the procedure!

I would never want to make this an urgent case I couldn't live with myself if I thought I was queue jumping, but I will fill any cancellation they have at short notice just to get it over, Thank you for taking the time to listen and respond it has really helped, as did speaking to the Hospital Patients association, very worthwhile and has certainly put my mind at ease.

• Posted

Hope it all goes well for you and the wait is not too long.
  • Posted

will post on here how it goes, scheduled dec 6th here's hoping they can pull forward
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday 29th Nov 2010. I too was very anxious about the whole embarrassment side of it. You will be well covered up. They gave me a pair of paper shorts with a hole in the back. I had a gown that tied round the back of my neck then a robe on top of that. I lay on my side and was covered over with a sheet. So it wasn't so embarrassing. I had sedation although I was awake but it relieved the anxiety. In parts the procedure was slightly painful and I was able to use the gas and air at those points. The staff were very nice and took great care of me. Try not to worry too much, I know it's easy to say but it is soon over. Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you for taking time to do that, I appreciate it, I am completely mortified over the whole thing, but it's coming around now, less than a week then maybe some sleep!

I am less concerned about the pain aspect than I am about the embarassment to be honest, but the sooner the better really, glad to hear you fared well, I hope I can say the same.

• Posted

Hi, I have had this procedure twice. Each time I chose to be unsedated then I could write about it afterwards. If you have any more questions you can send me a PM and I will do my best to answer. It's nothing to worry about.
  • Posted

You would have probably had your colonoscopy by the time you read this but if not hope this helps.

A nurse will admit you to the unit, asking you your medical history, checking you've had bowel preperation, making sure you have a responsible adult to take you home and stay with you overnight if you want sedation and checking your blood pressure etc. They will also need a list of any medication you are taking. You will have a cannula put in for the sedation.They will ask you to changed, take a dressing gown with u to put round the gown while you wait. Before you go in the endoscopist will come and speak to you, explain the procedure and the risks and benefits and you will be asked to sign a consent form.

The nurses come to get you when its time for you to go in, there will be two nurses in the room, one to sit with you and maie sure you are ok, the other will do the paperwork and assist the doctor with any biopsies or polyp removals. You will be asked to lie on your left hand side, you will have a peg on your finger that monitors your pulse and oxygen levels and an oxygen tube up your nose. You will be covered with a sheet to help protect your dignity. You will then be given sedation and a strong painkiller. The sedation will make u feel a bit drowsy however you will still be awake during the procedure, you may be asked to change position during the procedure to help move the scope round. The endoscopist does put air into your bowel to allow them to see, this may cause you to pass wind however this is nothing to be embarassed about and the staff expect this to happen, its normal. Once the procedure is over you will be taken back to the ward to recover, once your awake and feeling ok the nurse will give you something to eat and drink, after eating and drinking your cannula will be removed, you will be given an after care leaflet and send home with a responsible adult.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for that, you're absolutely right it's virtually how it went, I didn't feel anything really (even retroflexion) I was told it would be painful at points but thankfully it wasn't. I was conscious and watched the screen throughout, I didn't get to speak to the Endoscopist and left with a report sheet that mentioned Diverticulosis, so will arrange to see my own GP.

I have to admit I didn't find the experience at all embarassing but had feared this prior to it. Quite a relief really.

The one issue was how I could spend 35 minutes watching a screen to remember absolutely nothing but the first minute and the last minute. Still I would imagine most people would prefer it that way

Thanks

• Posted

Can anyone tell me, is there any follow up required if Diverticulosis is diagnosed? and if so, what would it entail/

Thank you

• Posted

You should have an appt with your Consultant if you have one or GP if not.

They will go over your results and sort any drugs if needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.