Is this easier for men than women?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm hearing a lot of stories that suggest the procedure is more of an ordeal for women than it is for men. I also looked to see any research stats and they seem to back this up, there was also a distinction between the amount of body fat and the pain or discomfort felt.

Apparently the greater waist dimension the easier the process was, does this make any sense? I have a visit booked in the next 2 weeks and was concerned, as I'm sure most are, I was worried my BP would escalate in the run up, but I find that getting to know and learn as much as I can is important to me in making this bearable.

I have to say I was really concerned almost panic-stricken when I first got news of my appointment, particularly about the pain issue and I was really wound up and worried about this, I saw my Doctor, and he is apparently an old hand at sending people and when he checked me out he looked at general fitness and state of health and recommended I take a mild sedative for three days beforehand (including the day of my appointment) and that I tell the hospital about this, on the day I am to ask the hospital to have sedation on hand but to request it only if absolutely necessary.

I'd be interested to hear views. Also I would recommend to anyone concerned that by visiting your GP and telling them your concerns, you can actually feel better and almost relaxed about this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy today for the first time and an upper endoscopy. I am a 41 year old female of average size and weight. I was given a sedative administered through a canula and also some analgesic. I felt absolutely nothing and remember very little of the procedure. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I have read what people say and I don't worry about the pain or otherwise, what happens will happen, I just find the waiting and the condescending attitudes terrible, you ask questions to prepare yourself and you're treated like you're a pest.

Shouldn't be like that, American friends tell me they are invited to a small seminar where everything is explained and everyone is invited to ask questions.

In the good old NHS we are supposed to keep quiet, turn up, shut up and leave

• Posted

I had the procedures carried out on the NHS and was given loads of information beforehand. My doc was brilliant and the hospital sent me out an information pack that was really informative. I suppose not all health authorities are going to be the same.
  • Posted

It's good you had that, I got an info pack but I felt I needed more.

I'm in the Cheshire area and although I've asked they don't seem too keen to tell me much. I can't see anyone would ever look forward to this and there are so many questions, I know we're all different but for me to feel confident about something I need to know as much as I can first.

They do make me feel like I am being a nuisance

• Posted

Hi \"Really frustrated\"

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy a couple of years ago and can honestly say that Ididn't feel a thing as the sedation given knocked me out for the whole procedure. The stuff you have to take 24 hours before the colonoscopy is NOT pleasant...you will spend the day in close proximity to the nearest loo :oops: ......but it is important that you follow the directions carefully as if the colon is not clear the test will be inconclusive and may need to be repeated.

Keep asking your doctors to give you better idea of what to expect....they are getting paid for giving you information and should be trying to re-assure you.

good luck, Pauline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.