Not the right time to detox from tramadol.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I,m not sure if there will ever be a right time to get off this drug with the prospect of further surgical intervention . I still might try to cut down from the 16 to 20 tabs a day that i,m currently taking. I will discuss this my surgical consultant as it may be that surgery would not be viable due to the quantity of trams and other meds im taking. Lets see how it goes after the consult..jx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

8 a day is the max to take with tramadol your liver and kidneys must be shot sorry to be blunt but that's a very high dose which is dangerous and needs address you really should get some help 
    • Posted

Thank you marshall for your blunt but truthfull reply, and yes probs with kidneys liver etc. The only help my G.P offered was a verbal "try to cut down a little" then hands me another script for 200 more. Then that leaves me thinking and feeling, well its not that bad a situation as the G.P is not concerned, so why should I be.? What I see as a problem obviously my G.P does,nt . Thanks again marshall jx
    • Posted

Can you find a new doctor?  I went to an OD who specializes in pain mgt.  She also said 8 is the max a day, I'm too scared to go higher than 4.  If you can stand the pain, you can probably drop down a big chunk on the outset, then taper (slowly) after that.  I can cut mine in half with no effects.  It is tapering beyond that that causes withdrawls so I just cut a half a tab a day.  I was down to 2, then started hurting and I went u0o to 4 again unfortunately...though they work again better which was a surprise.  At your dose, it will probably take a long time to taper off.  Your doctor sounds awful.
    • Posted

Time to find another Gp that's shocking to hear that and very foolish from the doctor to say don't understand doctors at all I told mine I was getting nothing from

Taking 8 day and asked to be put on something stronger that co codamol he then said tramadol or co codamol ? Dunno I never been to med school for 7 years 

• Posted

Hi lin I spent 12months going through pain management having steroid injections etc etc to be told surgey is the only option left.. My G.P sounds awful but actually she is very pleasant I just feel that she has,nt either the time, or even the knowledge of the drug and its properties. Maybe I need to shout a little louder. Thank you jx
  • Posted

Hi Jayne annd welcome,

I'm on 20+ tablets a day, only 3 of these are Tramadol, they wanted me to take more than 3 a day, which would make my 150mg a day a lot higher, bearing in mind I was told I coiuld take upto 8 a day, 8 paracetamol and 8 Neurophen. This to me is far too many painkillers - they can be taken at these levels and all at the same time, because they are all different types.

At one time I was on morphine after surgery, 2 operations that I nearly died from, and pain killers were Morphine and an Epidural, these drugs only were just taking the pain off what I had done in the operation. Since leaving hospital I was put on Tramadol and was told I can safely take 8 a day! No way will I take that many, they added Amitriptyline to these as well. Okay, maybe for someone that does not suffer from seizures - but strictly off limits to Epileptics.

The dose of Tramadol you are on is far too high, doctors these days prescribe Class "C" drugs like they are asprin these days!! They are not, and should be lowered especially if you are having surgery soon. Tramadol can be prescribed after a surgical operation to go home with, but not as a permenant, unless they are really needed. It's going to take me awhile to get off three a day, so I dread the problems you would have getting off that dosage.

Which ever Doctor prescribed that amount per day, should be struck off the doctors list, it is way over the amount prescribed. I was told upto 8 a day max, but I know and seen the side-effects of coming off a high dosage is not that easy. I would ask to see another doctor or get a second opinion, which you can do.

I wish you well...

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank you disabled-les for this valuable information and yes maybe I should consider seeing a different G.P. I,m really cheesed off ( in polite terms)  you tend to trust the medical advice given, not anymore . once again cheers for your input jx
    • Posted

Hi Jayne,

I stopped trusting doctors along time ago, and for a good reason. My own doctor at the time was treating me for an infection in the testes, how far wrong were they!! I asked if they could refer me to a Consultant Urologist at the hospital, he sent me on the same day for an Ultra-sound scan, it came back I had testicular cancer - and I was being given Anti-biotics by my Doctor!!! Needless to say, I am very wary now what doctors say, and if I am not satisfied I ask for a second opinion from another doctor.

Tuesday this week, I woke up with very sharp pains in my chest, I phoned the surgery and made an appointment for about 30 minutes later. My wife got me to the surgery, but my breathing was becoming worse, my wife said to the receptionist I think he needs to be seen quickly, and they took me into a room, I managed to take the asprin they gave me, but went into a seizure for roughly 10 minutes, by which time there was an ambulance on the way, the chest pains seemed to calm down while I was on the oxygen. 4 of the downstairs doctors rushed to my aid, leaving their patients, just to make sure my own doctor could cope until the paramedics arrived. Once they got to me, I was rushed to hospital, my heart rate was up, and I still had this pain in my chest like I had a "stitch". They done a blood test, it showed I had an infection somewhere, so then I was sent for a chest x-ray. In the end it turned out I had pleurisy. I was told to take painkillers (up to 8 a day) Paracetamol, I was already on Tramadol - but was told you can take both together. Now, the pain has gone, thank gawd.

I did not up the Tramadol to 8 a day either, I relied on the paracetamol - Tramadol is the last drug I would never increase - I have seen many cases, even one on these forums where the person was taking 40 a day, and would literally do anything to get his 'fix'.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi disabled-les sorry for the late reply to read why your trust in the medical profession is zero. I have told all of my family that I intend to go into detox in the New Year i,m going to try going it alone first before asking for medical assistance.. Its sad to read 40 a day to get a fix ..Thank you jx

• Posted

Ok. Tramadol recovering addict here. You don't want to hear or read this but its highly unlikely you are going to be able to taper off that high of dosage by yourself.  I'm talking detox here. Medical detox. Under supervision of a medical detox facility.  It's dangerous at this point. You could have a seizure or blood pressure go to high an extreme heart rate (tachycardia) cutting down yourself.  An you prob wont be able to actually allow yourself to cut back. Your body craves it to much now. Yes, you need to get new Dr an discuss detox medically for your health. Bloodwork should be done.

My story is took Tramadol for 7 yrs. Normally at first but eventually uped the dosage to last two yrs. 20 a day. Some people don't understand how you could get to that level. Tramadol acts different in different people. Not only does it have opiate properties but antidepressant/anti-anxiety properties also. I was obviously depressed.  Our daughter died an had anxiety but didnt realize it. Was given Tram for tibial stress fracture by Ortho dr. Then took it for lower back pain an fibromyalgia. It made me happy. Not high. Calmed me down. At last two yrs was getting off internet.  Expensive. $350 a month. Well got sick in May of this yr with Adnovirus.  Like flu kinda. Started having palpitations an skipped heart beat.  Freaked me out. Went ER. All tests normal except high heart rate high b/p. Had to come clean about quantity of Trams I was on. It was like getting a wt off my chest! I didnt have to lie anymore! Two days later, on my own, went into a detox facility for 5 days. I dont remember much of it. All I knew was I was free fr the withdrawal hell. I tried an tried to stop on my own but when its 20-25 a day, impossible.  I know some are thinking how mean that sounds but its the hard reality of the situation you have gotten yourself into. I had no excuses. It can be done at high doses but medical supervision is advised. Its been 7 mnths Tram free. Its not easy even after. Mentally there are struggles. Im on a antidepressant Lexapro rt now. An Klonapine (anti-anxiety as needed). Id tried Zoloft but it made me very sick. Its still a struggle but gets easier as days go. Concentrate on something else. Exercise. But first you need to get the medicine out of your body. Please do not go cold turkey or do it on your own. I had a seizure.  Taken to Er. Had fallen into a tv cabinet corner an cut my head. That was 1 1/2 yrs b4 detox. Its scary but it has to be done. Or you could suffer permanent health damage. Do not feel ashamed. You would be seeking help in helping yourself. Thats not weak. Thats being stronge an smart. Whats stupid is keep putting 20 in your mouth. After detox look for NA meetings or recovery groups at a church. I went to NA an a psychologist an now go to my church recovery group. You will miss your habit. But replace it with a better one. Goodluck.

zio.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your struggled history with tramadol and truly sorry for the loss of your daughter. It,s encouraging to read how people in my situation have managed to get off this drug thank you. It is,nt mean or harsh what you are saying its fact it is what it is. Some nights I go to bed actually wondering if I will wake in the morning so you would think that would be enough to stop taking them. I have been open with all my medical team regarding the amount im taking and the only one that commented on it was the anaethetist (sorry probably incorrect spelling) after having my gallbladder removed. He said maybe I should consider morphine instead of the high dose tramadol..Thats it as far as medical advice goes...Thank you again Zio for taking the time to reply jx
  • Posted

I really do feel for you and the situation you are in.  I was caught in a deep depression because of horrible chronic pain.  I could sleep only 3 to 4 hours aqt a time and hurt so bad I had to get up---I would walk in a circle, fast, crying, while waiting for the hydrocodone to kick in because I hurt so bad I couldn't hold still.  Being in pain so ba you will do about anything but then you get caught up in the only options you have for getting out of the pain....it's a horrible situation that has no winnning option.  I was lucky, Gabapentin/neurontin and Tramadol finally dug me from the hole but without finding something that alleviates the pain? 

I can absolutely see how you ended up where you are...but the doctor was wrong to ever give that high of a dose.  The reason it's 8 max is because of the risk of seizures, for one.  My OD had someone on 10 and it was barely working but she too let someone go beyond the max. 

We undertreat pain in this country (not sure about UK, which I'm thinking you must be?  I am in the US) because people abuse it.  The had to give me oxycodone when I got my gallbladder out because hydrocodone had been perscribed so much for my other issues that it didn't work anymore.  The surgeon was a jerk and I could tell he was waiting for me to ask for a refill.  I am a lot of things but I'm not an addict looking for a high.  I won't lie, sometimesI do enjoy the happiness feeling that goes with all of these meds but if I take them I take them because of pain.  It p*ssed me off that there is an automatic jump to abuse.

There has to be some medical doctor who will address your needs.

• Posted

Thank you Lin for sharing the situation that you were in. I agree you will try almost anything for a break from the pain, I too spend half the night just trying to get through it the best I can. Quite often I am reduced to despair where I then go and sit in a wonderful rocking chair that I have and cry...Then pick myself up out a smile on my face and pretend everything is fine jx
    • Posted

That breaks my heart to read, Jayne.  You deserve more out of life than to hurt that bad.  I have never felt so beat down than when I hurt like that.  To know you are still dealing with it....chronic pain is so miserable and because it's not on the outside others don't usually understand what it does to you physically and mentally.  There is nothing they can do to help alleviate the pain?  I found a med combo and I don't think I've had a flare up for more than 2 years now...looking back it hurts to even think of how dark that time is.  No one should have to live like that.   I'm so sorry to hear you have to fake a smile and try to cope.  Hugs to you, I hope there is some answer out there for you. 
    • Posted

Thank you lin06321 for your understanding of the situation some of us are in or the ones that have been there , it,s great to read some positives how people have gotten through dark times . I don,t blame anyone other than myself for taking such a large dose I made that choice due to the chronic pain. I will find a way out of this hole,, before all of these meds im on cause more damage, than they have already have. I also agree with you on the mental aspect of chronic pain. My thought processes at times are completely off the wall, for example feeling that im a burden to my loved ones and how my children deserve better, and I know thats irrational cause despite everything Im a good Mum. I have mastered the art of a fake smile a cheery tone. Hope to find the answer soon...Hugs returned many thanks jx
    • Posted

Tramadol affects your seratonin...some of that thought process may be because of that.  I used to be a case manager at a mental health center...worrying that your kids deserve better, that you are a burdon...that sounds like depression talking.   It did the weirdest thing to me when i stopped taking them one time...I don't normally feel depressed but I found myself thinking a lot about suicide and sometimes it was so strong I couldn't hold still, I would find myself laying down and just tossing and turning around sort of lost at in a sea of mental pain.  You are taking them because you have physical pain--it's not your fault, the situation you are in.  The dependance on tramadol is not the same as being an addict...and I am sure you very much are a good Mom.  I know that no matter how much I hurt I found a way to do what my kids needed me to do, no matter how miserable I was.  You deserve better than to hurt all the time--and you deserved better than the doctor gave you, giving such a high dosage.  I am sure it seems so dark, but there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere.  I hope you find it!
    • Posted

Thanks again Lin for your reply. Well I am just awaiting a call from my G.P where all my cards will be put on the table and that I need some help to get off these drugs...If her response is as before (just try cutting down a bit) I think I will go nuts. Wish me luck I think I may need it. jx
    • Posted

Watch out for depression an Anxiety coming off Tramadol.  It effects your serotonin an norepinephrine in the brain. Its effects are different on brain than alot of other opiates so talk about an antidepressant if you can. Im a recovering Tramadol addict.  7 mnths free. On Lexapro an weaning off Klonapine (anti-anxiety pill). I became very depressed 4-5 after I was sober. Also started menopause, which I think Tramadol through me into. Im 46 an was 20-25 a day for 2 yrs. Got to where I had no periods for a yr before I went into a detox facility for 4 days. Two wks later got a period an two mnths after that then no periods. Then got depressed bad. Went to Ob/gyn an was tested an found out Im n menopause! ! So on bio-identical hormone therapy an Lexapro.  On Lexapro now for 4wks. Tramadol at high doses is very hard to detox fr on your own at home. I was taking very high dosage. Seizures are an issue an high blood pressure.  Be careful. If you can taper yourself then talk to Dr about a specific taper schedule or go to a pharmacist. They will know. Goodluck. You will have withdrawals even if you taper but stock up on supplies an take o.t.c. stuff to help. Antidiarrhea med, ibuprofen, epsom salts for hot baths, cold medicine for runny nose an sneezing,  etc..just look up Tramadol withdrawal symptoms on internet.  Anti-anxiety meds can help to like Xanax, Atavan an Klonapine for restless legs an insomnia. Talk to dr about them. Goodluck. I know what pain feels like but the pills can sometimes cause more pain. I dont have certain pains anymore since I quit. Lost wt an walk. God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.