Issue lifting one leg while sitting

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't actually know that much about scoliosis etc, but I've known I've had one for probably a decade or so (I'm 31 now) - last time I saw the osteopath it had gone from being referred to as slight to moderate. My mother also has a scoliosis - her spine is both bent and twisted - she now has a sort of bump in the kidney area of her back and has shrunk several inches.

I've had all sorts of health issues since I was 10 - so mostly spent my teens curled up in awkward positions in armchairs and on sofas etc.., and currently am mostly being suspected of having either chronic fatigue syndrome or some form of autoimmune issue - with fatigue being a massive issue.

Osteopaths and chiropracters have always told me I have 'loose ligaments' - and I've always known I'm fairly flexible, although pretty clumsy and rubbish at sports, I'm only now questioning if 'loose ligaments' meant I was hypermobile?

Anyway...for the last 6 months I had pain in my right knee - no idea why, and nobody could figure it out - so saw a physio for the first time and she said I had some muscle weakness in that leg and gave me a couple of exercises to do for a bit (though I didn't do them as it hurt badly for the two days after that and then stopped since). It was after that appointment that I sat down and tried to lift each leg indepently and realised I had serious difficulty lifting my right leg, or holding it up. Left leg - no problem whatsoever - has anyone else experienced this maybe due to their scoliosis - I thought I'd like to check if it was that causing it first. I was very tired today as did a lot - for me - and it was so so difficult to lift my leg. I've got a rheumatology appointment 5th jan, but wanted to find out from others first? So any ideas please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I also have pain lifting my right leg, I am due to have surgery in January for adult degenerative scoliosis. I have written about it on here but if you want to ask any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Best wishes Jean 

• Posted

Thanks for replying - the weird thing is - I don't (fingers crossed) have any pain with it - I've got problems with intermittent stiffness in my back when I bend over - as usually I am flexible enough to bend over and lay my palms flat on the floor - but recently I've got some days where I'm really stiff when I bend over and other times the stiffness just isn't there. So I'm feeling really confused - my scoliosis seems to cause me pain only when I'm working and I have to stand for any period of time or do lifting - when I then end up getting what I can only describe as severe discomfort - I just can't get comfy or make it comfy - I end up trying to crack my own back with my arms behind my back but even though it will pop lots and gives a little relief, it doesn't get rid of it. So I usually have to either lay down with it, or put heat on it - or both. 
  • Posted

Hi I have similar problems as you but with my left side. I have scoliosis and kyphosis and have lots of issues with my left side, including muscle weakness and fatigue. I suffer with fatigue generally and have also just been diagnosed with possible having CFS. I also have muscle and joint stiffness, clicking, popping, etc, but have never hear of hypermobility until now. Unfortunately for me as the years go on (age 36 now) the back pain gets worse and subsequently affects knees, elbows, ankles ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.