How i cured my Hyperhidrosis

Posted , 24 users are following.

I suffered from HH for nearly twenty years..

I wanted to share my story as within the last ten days my HH is now finally under control...

It was all about how I controlled my breathing.  Yes the thing we take for granted. The thing we don’t get trained to do.

Ive had ETS surgery and own my own Iontophoresis machine...but none of these actually get to the route cause. The ETS surgery stopped the sweating from my forehead and just pushed the problem to another part/parts of my body.

The iontophoresis machine was just a pain to use and whilst you use it you feel like a failure. It’s not exactly a pleasurable experience.

I also tried special deodrants, sage tea etc etc etc etc….

ive suffered in silence and now I know I can control it im so happy.

In my experience what makes it worse is the day when someone notices you are sweating. The start of the condition grabbing hold of you and making you feel insecure. You start avoiding situations you may end up sweating in – parties, business meetings etc…. You then are always in FIGHT or FLIGHT mode…. And its not the place you want to be.

Drinking ice cold water trying to calm your body down is again just another “band aid”…. Wearing vests in the summer , using hand dryers in the toilets etc is not helping you eradicate it from your life.

I truly believe that HH is curable but you need to get to the route cause. In my experience it was my nervous system that I just didn’t know how to control. This may not be the case for lots of other people but I now feel much better about myself. I used to ask the question – why me? Why do I sweat like this? It makes you angry and hopeless 24/7.

Yoga / and making sure you breathe properly has been my saviour.. Im now dry as a bone! I now don't feel helpless or angry I feel like a new man.... There is so much free information out there about breathing and controlling your anxiety. Don’t try and put a band aid on things, get to the route cause and you will also be dry!

It might take time for you to adapt the way you breathe but please stick with it. It will help you I’m convinced.

I hope this message can help other people overcome their problem.

5 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am also booked in for ETS surgery, is the CS really as bad as the initial sweating? mine is very bad in my hands and feet althought i do also get it in other areas too but not so bad. I may have to give yoga a try as this sounds like it really helped you. 
  • Posted

you certainly are one of the lucky ones . you've found the way to deal with your hyperhidrosis. With yoga and with breathing .You seem to have gotten to the root of the problem. good for you ! I  have also tried yoga and adapting the way that I breathe and i can verify that it has also helped me to keep my panic attacks about my sweating under control .But I still sweat excessively . However, I have managed to control my palmar Hyperhidrosis with Iontophoresis therapy . I do not feel like a failure  when I am using the Idromed 5 PC device , because I know that Iontophoresis works for me and keeps my hands dry. Yes in the beginning you've got to do treatments everyday and your are still not sure wether or not its going to work for you - that was maybe the hardest time . But I kept on with it and very soon the therapy was successful, my hands were dry. yoga and the breathing are  very helpful for me  in that they quiet me down and help me get deeply relaxed.I think that ,for me anyway, the yoga and the iontophoresis are mutually supportive therapies.
  • Posted

So what do you think is the root cause for your problem? I suffer from severe hyperhidrosis as well. I cannot concentrate on studying and doing other things. I suffer from anxiety. I would like to know what form of yoga that you practised to overcome the anxiety and sweating? Really appreciate your response?
  • Posted

I've had it for over 20 years too and doctors tell you it's harmless.  Maybe phsically it is, but mentally, not so much.  I've found chocolate aggrevates it too.  I never thought about the breathing though.  But I think you are on to something!  So grateful I ran across this site today and this thread.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to have surgery in my armpit to get rid of this one I have now.  And the surgeon would prefer to do both armpits at once.  If anyone has any thoughts on the surgery, or experience, I"d love to hear it.

• Posted

Falex,

Which videos would you recommend about the breathing.

I totally feel related to what you wrote.

Can you give more details about how you cured.

And now that you went through all that, what do you recommend to start.

Thank you!

• Posted

Sir  iam a 23 yrs old boy.i think I have hyperhidrosis.i sweat more than compaired to others .Even after doing some task it takes lots of time for my body to cool down compaired with others.My forehead ,head and neck sweats more than other parts.Because of this iam uncomfortable to go outside and do some task .I cant manage with my forehead sweating than any other parts.It can be hereditary since my father also sweats alot.Is there any permanent measures to control this.Plz replay me...
  • Posted

Good discussion.  I am a 58 year old man who has suffered from excessive sweating since roughly the age of 16.  Armpits in particular - real bad, even in winter, and I live in a cold climate.  It has affected every area of my life including general socializing, dating, employment/career and most certainly, my mental health as I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was a teenager.  The condition is REAL but there is something of a chicken or egg question when it comes to anxiety and sweating.  Which one caused the other?  My belief is that this is not an important question to answer.  I really like the commentary in this discussion about the importance of breathing.  For me, it has not been a magical cure for HH, but breathing, meditation, yoga - are all holistic ways of treating your mind and body which can measurably improve the condition.  And these practices have a positive impact on my life as a whole.  I feel calmer, I reach out to others more readily, am more connected to my inner self.  I have great empathy for all of you out there who are dealing with this problem and its effects.  You are not alone.  I also attend an anxiety support group that is helpful.  Being able to open up about the problem with trusted people relieves for me a lot of silent shame and bitterness.  I will check in later - Peace and perseverance to all.
  • Posted

Hello, can u tell me what form of yoga u use, please. 

Many thanks.

kind regards,

Philomena

• Posted

hi i am one of the suffer for this condition since my childhood and i have read your message and i would like u to suggest me which yoga should i perform to treat my hyperhidrossis

• Edited

Hi, I had suffered excessive sweaty right arm pit since my early 20s (now 50something.....) I could soak 3 layers of clothing easily even on a cold day.

By chance last October (2020) I cured the problem.

I broke my right arm badly and as a result of my arm after surgery being against my body for a week, the sweating caused me to have an infection in my arm pit. Called my doctor with all the details who said I could do one of two things, take antibiotics or try something like a hot poltis to help increase blood flow around the area of infection. I know taking antibiotics is bad if not really needed so chose the hot poltis option for a week to see how it went.

This involved me keeping a hot water bottle (obviously filled with hot water wrapped in a small towel to reduce heat) tucked into my arm pit for around 30mins across 7 evenings.

The heat needs to be just over the cusp of comfortable to ensure the skin around your armpit is pink with the extra blood flow

Cured the infection but also cured my sweating arm pit to the point it's NORMAL and has been ever since.

I hope this will also help someone else.

Keep safe and well

Best regards

Tom

• Posted

Wow, what am amazing story. I'm so happy for you. How amazing for you to be free after all those years. I'm also fifty in a few weeks and have suffered from hand arm pit sweating etc since I was 5 years old. I feel very inspired to heal myself given what Fallax (apologies if I've got your name wrong) said earlier about yoga and breathwork and what you've said here.This also is in line with some posts I saw on readit a few years back where two separate people cured themselves with breathwork. Interestingly, (given what Fallax said in the original thread about it starting when someone else noticed it), I do remember feeling deeply ashamed when it began. I was in the school playground in my first year of school-five years old, as we went to hold hands to form a circle, another child who I was about to hold hands with made an unkind remark and I remember feeling really embarassed.I'm actually a Clinical Psychologist and yoga teacher. I've had very deep powerful some breathwork sessions which I have found to be totally transformational. My hand sweating has not yet stopped but I believe this is because I still have deeper to go and more to learn. I believe trauma, shame and fear are at the root of most excessive sweating. It's fascinating that the hot water bottle poltices healed you. i wonder if the heat via the increased blood flow is helping to reset the nervous system in some way. I think you've discovered a nervous system hack my friend. Your an inadvertent wizard. Anyway thanks again for sharing your experiences I will try it. Many thanks again Victoria

• Posted

. Hi

My 76 year old neighbour started suffering from excessive sweating about six months ago. She only sweats from her head and her hair is wringing wet. This only happens for a few hours in the morning. Her doctor just fobs her off. She is fed up as she can't go anywhere in the morning due to this problem as it is so obvious. Can you please suggest or provide a link to any videos that may help her control this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.