Unstable INR results while on Warfarin.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Warfarin for many years and until recently would go to the lab monthly to have the INR test. Fortunately my INR was always pretty stable results being between 2.0 and 2.5.  I now have to go weekly to the lab because for the last 6 weeks the INR results have been going from low to high.  One week it is 1.8 and then the next week it is 3.5.  The doctor of course keeps adjusting the Warfarin dosage.  I am very careful with my diet and do not eat foods that are high in vitamin K..  I had pneumonia recently and was on penicillin for 10 days but finished that medication on the 7th December so that should be out of my system. by now. Quite the puzzle as to why the sudden change. Anyone experienced this? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marion,

Just over a year ago I had to go on a course of Amoxocillin (Penicillin) and my Dr. at the time reduced my daily dose of Warfarin to 5.0 mg a day for the duration of the course of penicillin, which was a week/10 days. He did this because it is a medical fact that penicillin and warfarin will interact - the penicillin will act in a way which can increase the risk of a 'bleed', i.e. your INR will destabilise and most likely increase - pretty well as yours has done. At the time I researched this phenomena on internet medical/drug websites and got this confirmed. As a result of 'pegging' my warfarin at 5 mg while on the penicillin my INR remained stable at around 2.6.

Hope this helps and that by now - despite all the seasonal festivities - you are back to normal.

John

• Posted

Hi John,

Thank you very much for the information.  My Warfarin was not reduced while on Penicillin maybe that would have helped.  I too hope it gets back to normal - my normal dosage was 3.0 mg daily for years keeping me in the normal INR range -  now each week it is different sometimes 3.0 mg for 5 days and 1.0 mg for 2 days and then it is changed again.  

On Feb 4th I will be having surgery so for 10 days prior to the surgery I have to stop taking Warfarin so it will be interesting after the surgery what my INR will be....I`m a little nervous about this.

Many thanks for your input.

Marion  

• Posted

Me again Marion,

I forgot to say that in my opinion your Dr's course of action is quite wrong and that its like a dog chasing its tail, and it'll take ages for you to stabilise. I would look at my records if you have them and take the average dose for a week and see what happens. Or maybe you can discuss this with your clinic/lab ... thing with Warfarin is when you are stable as you ( and I ) seem to be you don't need large adjustments to your Warfarin doses. I am fortunate though in that I self test with my own device and so can control my own destiny to a point. I treat my diet like you - the main thing is to be consistent with diet at all times. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi John,

I am certainly behind the times I did not know there was a device where you could self test your INR.  I`m not sure I could go that route but of course I have not really looked into it.

What is your opinion of the drug Eliquis where you do not have to have an INR test?  I`m thinking after I get over my surgery of going that route.  But my concern of course is that you are not monitored as you are when taking Warfarin.

Thanks again,

Marion

• Posted

Hi Marion,

The device I use to test my own INR is a Coaguchek XS handheld device and is 

manufacturered by Roche. It is a very similar device to that used by Diabetics to 

test their blood sugar. You have the device (fits into the palm of the hand which

you have to pay for yourself), test strips (available on NHS), little lancets too. 

You just prick your finger, drip some blood on the test strip wait a few minutes 

and .... Bingo ... You get your INR reading. 

I was diagnosed with AF in Jan 2010 and bought this device 4 months later when 

I was back at work. In those days I drove buses for a living and just so fed up with

juggling shifts and blood test appointments that I got this myself. With full support 

of my GP where I lived in Surrey at the time I might add.

I go to Australia frequently and take it with me - or wherever I travel , wouldn’t be

without it.

You ask me about Eliquis - also known as Apixaban - is one of the NOAC’S 

(New Oral Anticoagulants ). Personally, I wouldn’t touch any of them including 

Eliquis, so long as my INR was stable. The point is that with Warfarin - if you get a 

bleed, doctors can reverse things and take successful action by using any of a 

number of antidotes. With these NOAC’s (at this stage as far as I know) there are 

no antidotes !! None at all .... So, I don’t know how they deal with any ‘bleeds’.

Now, onto your forthcoming surgery and stopping Warfarin .... Try not to worry too 

much (easier said than done I know). I had to stop Warfarin when I went for a 

CT Scan - I had my last dose on 30 Aug 2012 and restarted on 7 Sept 2012 ... 

9 days - I monitored my own readings on my own device and my last reading

before stopping was 2.8, dropped gradually till 5 Sept when it hit 1.1...... I restarted again after the scan on 7 Sept and it then took me until 20 Sept to get to an INR reading of 2.0 a week later I was back to 2.3.

So it took me from 30 Aug 2012 to 27 Sept 2012 to get from 2.8 down to 1.1 and 

then back to 2.3 again. No ill effects from this at all.

Hope this helps you. Good luck. If you have any questions, just ask.

John

• Posted

Hi Marion,

The device I use to test my own INR is a Coaguchek XS handheld device and is 

manufacturered by Roche. It is a very similar device to that used by Diabetics to 

test their blood sugar. You have the device (fits into the palm of the hand which

you have to pay for yourself), test strips (available on NHS), little lancets too. 

You just prick your finger, drip some blood on the test strip wait a few minutes 

and .... Bingo ... You get your INR reading. 

I was diagnosed with AF in Jan 2010 and bought this device 4 months later when 

I was back at work. In those days I drove buses for a living and just so fed up with

juggling shifts and blood test appointments that I got this myself. With full support 

of my GP where I lived in Surrey at the time I might add.

I go to Australia frequently and take it with me - or wherever I travel , wouldn’t be

without it.

You ask me about Eliquis - also known as Apixaban - is one of the NOAC’S 

(New Oral Anticoagulants ). Personally, I wouldn’t touch any of them including 

Eliquis, so long as my INR was stable. The point is that with Warfarin - if you get a 

bleed, doctors can reverse things and take successful action by using any of a 

number of antidotes. With these NOAC’s (at this stage as far as I know) there are 

no antidotes !! None at all .... So, I don’t know how they deal with any ‘bleeds’.

Now, onto your forthcoming surgery and stopping Warfarin .... Try not to worry too 

much (easier said than done I know). I had to stop Warfarin when I went for a 

CT Scan - I had my last dose on 30 Aug 2012 and restarted on 7 Sept 2012 ... 

9 days - I monitored my own readings on my own device and my last reading

before stopping was 2.8, dropped gradually till 5 Sept when it hit 1.1...... I

restarted again after the scan on 7 Sept and it then took me until 20 Sept to get 

to an INR reading of 2.0 a week later I was back to 2.3.

So it took me from 30 Aug 2012 to 27 Sept 2012 to get from 2.8 down to 1.1 and 

then back to 2.3 again. No ill effects from this at all.

Hope this helps you. Good luck. If you have any questions, just ask.

John

• Posted

Hi John,

Thank you for your explanation as to the procedure re the device you have. So once you have your reading and let`s say the result needs some adjustment to your Warfarin do you then call your doctor?

I have been reading up on the drug Eliquis and you are correct there is no antidote at the moment and yet when I mentioned  to my doctor about going on Eliquis she said she had a number of patients on this drug....are they not aware that there is no antidote!!!!!   So I will plod on with Warfarin and hope I will get back on track.

Also good to know there was nothing untoward when you had to stop taking the Warfarin.   

It was much simpler when I was on aspirin!!!

Thanks very much, John.

Marion

• Posted

Happy New Year Marion,

I knew you would ask that question, about what do you do if your dose needs 

adjusting.I was going to comment on this but decided to leave it up to you to 

raise the query ... It all becomes a little more complex BUT not to worry I will 

explain and will refer you to some extra reading.

Again - for me it all began in Surrey. I was fortunate to be on the books of one 

of the most dynamic, progressive and modern practices I could wish for. The 

practice nurses were all equipped with these Coaguchek XS devices which 

were used to test patients INR. The nurses then fed the result into their 

computers which were already set up with Roche’s computer software and 

the computer churned out the result - which was the new INR and the next 

test date and the new dose. So simples ! At the time of the finger prick and 

dropping the blood onto the test strip the patient would be asked three 

questions 1) have you changed your diet; 2) Have you taken any other 

medicines including herbal remedies and finally; 3) Have you missed any 

doses. All of this info would be put into the computer software and the 

computer itself would churn out the result. All over within the 10 minute time 

slot of a standard NHS appointment.

The nursing team also provided training for patients if they wanted to buy 

their own devices (such as me) and once the purchase had been made they 

checked its calibration once or twice a year. Brilliant.

But it went one step further. They also offered the facility for me to self test at 

home and phone in the reading to the practice Receptionist who then asked 

me the 3 questions above and then gave the results to the practice nurses 

who fed the data into the computer software and the Receptionist phoned me 

back within 4 hours. This is what I ended up doing and it was the perfect 

answer to my shift work problems as a bus driver !

In July 2012 I retired (well, semi retired) to Cornwall and immediately went 

back to the Dark Ages. They hadn’t heard of this system I described for you 

above. They only did the venous draw, they only do it on a Thursday and I 

have to wait 24 hours for the results. However, in fairness they will prescribe 

me the Test Strips (on the NHS) and so I keep monitoring their results with 

readings from my own device.

In September 2014 a big change occurred with NICE publishing new 

Guidelines on the use of Coaguchek XS devices for self testing and self 

managing INR. The following link should take you to the NICE website which 

you may find informative. Also below is the Coaguchek website which you 

may care to explore.

www.nice.org.uk/dg14

I’ve been using the Coaguchek XS System for over 4 years now and have 

now got to the point of contacting my Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) 

and seeking approval to not just self test but to self manage my Warfarin doses. 

There are various Warfarin Dose calculators available on medical websites as 

well as medical algorithms as a cross check.

As I am still working (part time) I have already told my GP that if my work 

schedule clashes with my INR test then I will not attend my INR test but 

use my Coaguchek device  My GP is not happy so the coming months will 

be interesting. And this is the point - if I can achieve this level of excellence in Surrey why can’t I do it in Cornwall ?

Regarding your comments on what your GP does to other patients. Well I’m 

convinced that in many cases GP’s look down on their patients and just 

assume that they wouldn’t understand - so they don’t inform them. In other 

cases I am equally sure GP’s just don’t know. Also the cost of these NOAC’s 

is significantly higher than Warfarin and because of this they seem to be only 

prescribed to those patients who cannot deal with Warfarin because their INR 

is totally unstable. So it maybe that your GP has prescribed Eliquis to these 

types of patients. But what they do antidote wise I have no idea.

Yes you are right about Asprin - much simpler - except that nowadays NICE 

admit it provides no safety blanket against a stroke as Warfarin does. 

Apologies for the length of this reply. Hope it helps.

John

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the second link as it wasn't working when checked. Users can Google coagucheck to find the site.

• Posted

Happy New Year to you too John

Thank you so much for being so explicit.  I am amazed at the technology. Oh boy I am so far behind, got to keep up!!  I live in Canada and I have googled to see if they have this sytem, I`m sure they do.  Sometimes there are mixed messages when trying to find information on the net.  Thank you for providing the link which I need to check out a few times to take it all in. (Senior moments these days).

The fact that you can get your results in such a short time is impressive. As you know going to the lab it`s a 24 hour wait. I once made a mistake fn going to the lab on a Friday as you can guess I didn`t get the results until Mon.....not good.

My doctors reaction when I did ask about Eilquis (although I do realise now it is not the way to go)  was that it was very expensive and that`s all she said.  

When I go to the lab next week I am going to ask one of the assistants regarding taking my INR at home and see if they have this system. Although I am sure my doctor would not approve!!!

I`ve always found it difficult to be consistant with daily vitamin K but for years as mentioned my INR would always be between 2.0 and 2.5 and that was with having brocolli every other day and the day in between I very rarely had vitamin K.  Right or wrong this worked and I got good results.  Do you manage to have vitamin K everyday.....to be up front I can`t seem to incorporate it in my daily food consumption. I love spinach which I know is very high in vitamin K and when I first started on Warfarin...being a newbie...I was merrily having spinach salads every day...so when my INR test came in my doctor asked me what had I`d been eating as my INR was sky high......so I said spinach!!  He said that would do it.......so I haven`t had spinach since. I like brocolli but I would not like to eat it every day but just can`t think what to have in the days between to be consistant with the brocolli.  You may wonder why I am hooked on brocolli just got it in my mind that it wards off cancer (crazy I know) but I am a cancer survivor and brocolli is a good antioxydent so I believe.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to explain this system and how it works.  You are certainly in charge of your health and basically that is how it should be.  I battled for 6 monthly mammograms instead of yearly ones...I did that for 5 years...my doctor was reluctant but she eventually gave in....I have learned to be my own advocate. Although at the end of the 5 years she told me that was it...end of...so I did succomb!!!

Thanks so much.

Marion 

• Posted

My understanding is that the 'secret' is consistency. Even if you eat a lot of greens, they can allow for this. 

I've been on warfarin for 3 months now and my levels have never stabilised - ranging from 1.8 to 9.6 and I've changed nothing in my lifestyle. 

I'm just told that I'm 'unusually' sensitive to it. 

After weeks of really worrying about it, I've taught myself to relax. There's nothing in my power I can do about it, so I just chill. 

• Posted

Thank you for your input.  Maybe I should relax as you say because in my case for years I was not consistent with my vitamin K and yet I had good results 2.0 - 2.5.   I have not changed my diet it`s still the same and my INR results are now bouncing all over the place.  I was going to say "go figure".   On second thoughts there is no figuration.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Ha!  Have you discussed this with your whoever-it-is (at Warfarn clinic)?

I'm sure that, if there was any real cause for concern, they'd have scheduled further tests. 

I really do know how distressing this stuff can be, but, as I said, I think the only thing we can do is be consistent and sensible, and leave the rest to…

Good wishes. 

Elaine 

UK

• Posted

I used to go to the lab once a month when my INR was stabilised but now  have toI go once a week and the doctor`s office phones throug the next day with the results. I do have to see the doctor in a weeks time so I will be discussin it with her.

I had this idea of....on the day I do not have vitamin K if taking a vitamin K supplement would be in order?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Best to you,

Marion

Canada (orig. UK) 

• Posted

Good that you're bei monitored closely. 

I really, really would suggest you relax about the Vit K thing. Recent research has shown it's been hyped. As I suggested, it's much more about consistency 

Discuss this with them. 

Elaine

• Posted

Thanks Elaine.   Actually on the 4th Feb I am having surgery, a cochlear implant.  It`s a 2 hour op.  So for 10 days prior I will have to come off Warfarin so it will be very interesting my INR results when I start back on it. It was much easier being on aspirin!!

Marion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.