inr levels dropped below 2.0 so atrial fib procedure cancelled

Posted , 4 users are following.

told my inr levels had to be between 2.0. -4.0 for a 4 week ongoing period - had them checked each week went to 2.1 on 3 3 4 1mg per day then 2.3 of 3 3 4 1mg per day - then 3.0 dropped to 3mg per day then dropped to 2.0 on 3mg per day - then told to stay on 3mg per day after which the inr dropped to 1.4 - op cancelled - who should i be complaining to the nurse or the GP?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

that is SO disappointing when that happens, same thing happened to me last year, stayed overnight at the Brompton ready for op, an hour before I was due to go down they said that my INR the day before was 4.1!!! never ever been that high, have always struggled to get it in the range! hence why I am now on rivaroxaban - much simpler!

I would discuss with the person who sets your warfarin dose.. do you have to wait long for your procedure now? 

• Posted

I was on Rivaroxabon - and over the months had several declining episodes which resulted in serious pain in my stomach area and being in decline-.  Each medicine has a specific duty for each person.  Many other others often do have not easy times - what seems perfect is not always the case! 
    • Posted

hi Susan many thanks for your reply - that's even worse being at the hospital - now have to go another 4 weeks within range before they put me on the list
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you are having problems with you INR.  Have been on Warfarin for 16+ years and know how your INR can go up and down for no reason whatsoever.  Suggest anxiety could help push up in your case?  The person who sets your Warfarin dosage should be the one to consult.

All the best.

• Posted

thanks betty - have made an appointment with GP for next Monday
  • Posted

Love to know how we can get the right INR? Is it vitamin K that dictates the outcome? Good Luck with the future? 
    • Posted

thanks Mary reply appreciated - did have moe vitamin K over xmas with sprouts and cranberry sauce but thought the amount would not affect the INR
  • Posted

Hi again,

As Mary has said, Vitimin K is notorious for upping your INR.  Cranberry is a no no, as is also a large amount of broccoli and brussels.  If eaten/drunk in large quantities grapefruit/grapefruit juice can also affect same.  Dark green vegetables also affect your INR reading, although funnily enough I eat a lot of iceberg lettuce and that does not seem to affect it! Also alcoholic drinks taken in quantity can also affect it.

Good luck with the Dr.

• Posted

thanks betty have just had reading for this week gone up to 1.8 on a silly combinaton of 3 3 4 4 3 3 4 -(24)  reverting to 4 3 4 3 4 3 4 (260 only 2 more for the whole week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.