Which operation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,just need some advice if any plz

Just out of ecography which shows alot of fibroids from 4.3mm and up,1 polyp 7mm & small others & uterus is big 124mm,she told me my uterus envelope(linning) is growing thick n thick n so i should have operation because it cant stay this way untill menopause it can lead to cancer,

She decides removal of uterus n i dont want this,am 45 no kids n not sure if its possible to have some but i dont want ma uterus removed.

Any advice or any1 whose uterus linning had being growing thick?

Infact i dont have heavy bleeding,no pains only same sharp small pains round my abdomen n my lower back(which worries me alittle)

Tell me anything however tough it is coz am now to make a decision

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I can only tell you of my experience, I too have fibroids, an enlarged uterus and thickening of the lining which they were concerned about. I had a hyteroscopy (camera) and they took a piece of lining for biopsy. I had symptoms of severe continous bleeding. The biopsy came back OK and the lining was thickened mainly due to polyps which were removed during the camera operation. I was not suitable for ablation which thins teh lining permanently (this means no children) however, if you do not want children then I am surprised that this has not been discussed with you. I had the mirena coil fitted 7 weeks ago which keeps the lining thin. This has been good so far and will hopefully stop me having to have a hysterectomy. If I were you I would go see a gynaecologist as the person doing the scan normally are not qualified to give advice. If it was a gynaecologist then i would consider changing them and making sure that all options are discussed before even thinking of a hysterectomy. Hope this helps smile
    • Posted

Thank u shaz,sure it helps,am on a look out for a good gynaecologist,as its a serious step of my life.

Thx

• Posted

I just thought this thickening sounds abit not good,i wonder if it stops after opetation,or does it remain so if one does not have mirena coil?

Thx to read your experience

• Posted

Hi,

I must admit to panicking when I was told that I had a thickening in the uterus. However, my doctor reassured me that the ultrasound can only say there is a thickening and not what it is. This is why I had to have the camera and biopsy. My doctor said that the most likely cause is a polyp, very common, rarely cancer but as there is a very very small chance they have to be sure and do a biopsy. If it was cancer then you would have a hysterectomy. But it is the least likely, especially considering your age as it is more likely in post menopausal women. If it is a polyp then they take it out there and then. I had mine done under genreal, took 20 mins, bit of bleeding after, no pain. Re the mirena, the gyny told me that it stops the thickening of the womb each month to control bleeding which was my problem. With a polyp it is usual for the lining to grow around it which is why it causes the thickening, I would suggest that if it was this and you dont suffer with heavy bleeding then you wouldnt need a mirena just the polyp removed.

I am not medically trainined just someone who has gone through what you are going through now so am empathetic and also was very worried and asked loads of wuestions to my GP and gyny and read loads too.

• Posted

Fine and thx so much shaz,great important information for me,i need to remove polp n fibroids too,will hear th advice of gyno about this.

Thx

• Posted

i suppose i'm in the same boat as you but 20 years older.

the technician had a poke about a couple of weeks ago with the intention of taking a polyps out.

however i think he found a bit more and i await a phonecall for my operation.

when i sign the consent form, that gives em the right to diversify.

after over 3 years belly pain, bloating etc etc i am ready for anything they want to do.

i see what you're saying about wanting to keep your uterus.

all the women i know who have had 'it all taken away' are happy and say they made the right decision.

and yet i've read on the internet horrendous results of this op.

also i am a bit of a cynic these days and worry that the gynnos are trained to whip it out as thats the easiest option.

i think we should take another look at the 'historectomy' topic on this forum and then maybe be better informed.

best wishes

• Posted

Thank u chica,i believe too there r gyno doctors who can wipe out the tumors & and leave th uterus.

If its not so serious a case,no need of plucking it out.sure lets search & see if anythg better out there.

Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.