Spinal Fusion Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys! Some of you may recognise me from a previous post - the responce that I got from that was truely amazing so thank you all very much!

Anyway, to the issue at hand:

I am a 15 yr old female with scoliosis, kyphosis and lordosis - but I have also been recently diagnosed with having holes in 7 of my lumbar vertebrae. My scoliosis has been worsening for the last 2 years quite rapidly, despite the fact that I have reached spinal maturity and am no longer growing. My main curve now is in the region of 50' and so due to this and my other spinal conditions I was advised to have the surgery, which I have now agreeed to have and am 'going under' on the 8th of July.

This was a really scary decision to make, so for this reason I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that had any advice? Like, what to take to hospital, how much it will hurt, anything at all! Everything and anything would mean the world to me!

Thank you guys, Izziexxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Sorry to hear you have to have this operation, im 26 and had the spinal fusion when i was about 14(i also have scoliosis and kyphosis).. its a tough operation but its worth it, my curve is now fused at approx 72°.

Its painful but not as bad as i thought,the hospital will keep ypu well dosed on painkillers, i had a morphine drip so i could press the button whenever the pain increased so it would give you a dose,

I took pjs,slippers,phone and charger so i could talk to my friends(they dont really mind you using mobile as long as you dont disturbing anyone)take books and magazines to stop you getting board...also i took food and drinks as i hate hospital food and would have starved lol

I know its very scary but try not to think about it to much and think about after the op how much easier life will be, ive had 7 ops as had harrington rods in and out before fusion and also others after as i have quite a big hunch one one side they shaved the ribs down to reduce its size(thats was sore)

Where are you having the op? Is it in the UK? I am at stanmore hospital near london.

I wish you all the luck in the world and am always here if you ever want to know anymore about it or other scoliosis/kyphosis things im sorry ive not heard of lordosis

Stacey

• Posted

Stacey, thank you so much!! This has really helped put my mind at ease smile

To answer your question, yes, I am in the UK - currently based near Oxford so that is where I am set to have the operation. I am sorry to hear about all your surgeries! I've had a couple (5 or so I think) in the past but nothing too major!

I hope you're all fixed up now though smile

Just one wuick question, how long did it take for your scar to fade? I am a bit worried about it as I have scars from my others ops but some of them are still prominent after 6 years! Thanks

Izziexx

• Posted

Thats good thay you dont have to go far,hopefully you will have lots of visitors to keep you company,my hospitals 2 and a half hours drive from my house.

My scar is pretty bad as its been cut down 6 times already the last time it would close up so had another op to sort that out, i imagen that within a year it should be pretty faded,i have one on my side from 1st op that you can barely see as it was just the once with that, the good thing with the back is that youll be able to cover it with vest top and ypur hair down until it fades if it bothers you, theres oils and creams you can buy to help fade it aswell, and make sure you put sun cream on the scar in the summer as it burns more easy.

Stacey

• Posted

Hey I've been meaning to reply to the first discussion you started, so hopefully I'll get round to it soon, I can tell you lots about the whole hospital experience as I can remember it like it was yesterday! I'll send you a message soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.