Muscular Weakness caused by Bendroflumethiazide

Posted , 3 users are following.

Several years ago, I strained my back when loading a skip, shortly after starting on Bendroflumethiaze tablets. I then had back pain for years, despite the efforts of osteopaths and physiotherapists and a facet joint injection. So I assumed I had done some irreparable damage to my back loading the skip. Shortly after stopping the Bendroflumethiazide the back pain went away, but I did not make the connection. A few months ago, I was prescribed the medicine again and shortly afterwards my back pain returned - without any obvious cause this time. I came off the Bendroflumethiaze about a month ago and the back pain has now gone away again. Now I am making a connection and believe I suffered back pain unnecessarily for years as a result of Bendroflumethiaze.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am having severe back pain with this drug as well. I was on a similar drug many years ago to bring down my blood pressure and I was in a lot of pain but couldn't understand where it was coming from. I eventually linked the two together and felt much better when I came off it. I have again had to go on this type of medicine to bring down the blood pressure prior to a general anaesthetic and the same back pain is there. It is so bad this time. I guess I will be coming off of this again.
  • Posted

I realise your orginal post was over a year ago but hope you may still log in to this site.  I read your post with interest.  I was changed from amlodipine to Bendroflumethaziazdie because of swollen ankles.  I did have some dizzy spells during the first couple of weeks but it soon settled.  I have been on the diuretic for about 3 months now.  I have been experiencing back and side pain on the left hand side.  Now I am used to having some pain as I have arthrtis is knees,spine and neck and possibly hips.  However this seems more unrelenting I am going to get an appointment with gp.  I am 69 years old on various medication.  I just wondered if you could tell me a bit more about the pain you got from taking this drug and whether it was immmediate or after a period of time.  Thanks
    • Posted

As far as I recall, it started fairly soon after starting to take "Bendro" and stopped fairly soon after stopping Bendro on each of the two occasions that I was prescribed it.   I haven't had any pain since.  As far as describing the pain, all I can say is that it was classic debilitating lower back ache.  Hope this helps, John

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I will speak to my gp.  
  • Posted

I realise your orginal post was over a year ago but hope you may still log in to this site.  I read your post with interest.  I was changed from amlodipine to Bendroflumethaziazdie because of swollen ankles.  I did have some dizzy spells during the first couple of weeks but it soon settled.  I have been on the diuretic for about 3 months now.  I have been experiencing back and side pain on the left hand side.  Now I am used to having some pain as I have arthrtis is knees,spine and neck and possibly hips.  However this seems more unrelenting I am going to get an appointment with gp.  I am 69 years old on various medication.  I just wondered if you could tell me a bit more about the pain you got from taking this drug and whether it was immmediate or after a period of time.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.