Confused - 8 months on Lofepramine and in need of a bit of advice.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 41. I have been suffering anxiety for 10 years and because it knocked my confidence and esteem, I became depressed. Except for a short stint in Citalopram a couple of years ago (20mg) which did nothing for me, Last summer my anxiety came to an all time high, I couldn't sleep, was agitated, couldn't see the point of tomorrow, was having obsessive thoughts etc I have been on 140mg lofepramine for 8 months now ( 1x70mg morning and night) and although I don't feel quite as bad as I did las summer, I really can't say if this drug is helping as it should.

The side efffects I have on them are very similar to many others of you on here, constipation, speedy heart rate which sometimes goes on to palpitations and waking in the night. I read an older post on here from a man who said that he gets feelings of despair and then uncontrollable crying which I seem to as well and I am not normally like this. Also, when I get a stomach upset and do go to the toilet, it seems to make my anxiety worse, I am not quite sure if this is because it is a bout if nerves/anxiety that sets off the need for the toilet or that I relate those symptoms to being anxious, either way it puts me in a very low mood.

I still have little enjoyment of things, even though I try so hard to get up and do things. I go swimming, walk a lot etc but I just sometimes don't feel connected with anyone or see the point of anything. Do any of you out there think I need to go higher, or try something in addition to this? My Doc who is really good has advised to stay on 140mg and take our time with getting better as going higher isn't always the answer to getting better quicker. I am on the wait for a mental health assessment to have some psych help as CBT didn't really do anything for me. I am seeing a counsellor through anxiety UK who is very good but she can't prescribe obviously. I am just confused with what I feel, is it me, or is it the side effects of the drugs or something inbetween?? I have also recently started to volunteer a couple of days a week to get me back into a work environment ( which is where I get most on edge and panic) but the tablets don't seem to have helped the nerves any. I cry a lot through frustration that I don't feel better with the anxiety, not because I eel depressed ...... Any advice would be great.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I too am on Lofepramine , have been for 6 months after trying lots of others and combinations with lofepramine. 6 weeks ago I was still really struggling, coudlnt see any improvement, my psychiatrist then stoped my addditonal meds and I went up to 3 lofepramine a day ( 2 am and i night ) and suddenly life seems rosy again ! I was surprised by improvement but it was def worth increasing . Hope this gives you some hope x
  • Posted

Hi coggy, thanks for the response. I am due to see the Doc tomorrow and will discuss options then. I am so scared of taking tablets in the first place, so frightened to go up and I suppose frightened if I have to come down off them to try something new. I will see what he suggests.
  • Posted

Hiya Jlc, I fully understand where you are coming from regarding medication and I felt the same as you. It got to the point that I so needed soemthing to help me carry on - I was managing work (as a practice nurse of all things!) but rest of my life wass rubbish. Eventually I was seen by a psychiatrist who I am really confident in and who I see very 4 weeks ,and who I feel has a real hold on whats best for me . I too had problems with waking at night (I was told to alter dose so to take 2 in morning and nothing at night which helped) and like I said the increase has helped enormously and i take that tablet mid pm and so my sleep not disturbed. Drink drink drink for constipation which yes, has been a problem but is now improving a bit with changes to diet and fluid intake.I also didnt wnat to go on them for the propblem of coming off but I must admit, if I stay on them for ever , I will now accept. I do undertand you though and I hope your GP is helpful x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.