Starting Escitalopram tomorrow.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do I take Escitalopram in morning or at night. I've been taking Sertraline at night and am switching tomorrow.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy, I was on sertraline - not good. I have been on escitalopram for about 3.5yrs currently on 15mg daily which i find best taken in the morning with breakfast usually between about 9 -11am. Give it a good 4wks to get used to, but they work for me without side effects & do not affect my sleep or clear thinking. good luck xx
    • Posted

Thanks looloo43. I'm glad they work well for you. I'm taking my last Sertraline tonight (50mgs) and don't know if I should take the Escitalopram tomorrow morning or leave it til the next day.
    • Posted

Hello. I'v been on Escitalopram now for 5 1/2 wks. 10mg. I break mine in half an take half in am an half in pm. Around same time everyday. It doesn't cause me nausea an I sometimes take on empty stomach. I did take Zoloft an it was working mentally but the side effects were horrible for me. So far not really any sideeffects. Except dry mouth an a little increase in anxiety but I think that is from getting use to the med. You didn't mention how much you will start out on.some people say it makes them sleepy so taken at night might help with that an any nausea.
    • Posted

Thanks Zio10. I took 5mgs this morning. GP said take 5 for a week then up to 10. Hope it works.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy

I take mine in the morning cuz I don't like taking stuff at night, just the way I am. My Doc and Pharmacist told me to take it at the same time each day. So I take mine at 10:30 a.m. This is Day 9 for me. Did you start yours yet ?

• Posted

Hi Damon

Yes. I started it yesterday. 5mgs. GP said to increase it to10mgs after a week. So far so good. I've not had any side effects. How much do you take? How are you feeling on it?

• Posted

Hi tracy

I started with 5mg for 7 days and increase to 10mg. I started the 10 today. Noticed a little dry mouth which doesn't really bother me. But the other thing that does bother me is the jitters, racing heart, nervousness. I told my doc about it and she told me to continue cuz it takes up to 3-4 weeks. Maybe the jitters I am having are just my anxiety, I hope....

• Posted

Stick with it Tracy & damom; it does take a good 4wks to feel the benefit, & if you're changing from another med you may find some subtle side effects while your body gets used to not having one med & starting a new one. xx
    • Posted

Thanks Looloo. My anxiety is bad this morning but I remember this when I started sertraline so I'm hopeful it is just a side effect. I am going through a very stressful time at the moment. After 7 years of caring for my grandad with Altzeimers, he's gone into a nursing home and now my cousin who only visits once a year has accused me of stealing grandads money and has taken me to the court of protection. He tells social services that I don't visit the home enough and he wants to take over the power of atourney from me. I have never been so worried in my life. I feel bullied daily and although my husband is dealing with the solicitor I keep thinking I'll go to prison for not having receipts etc. It's been going on for 3 months and may take up to a year to resolve. I have even been suicidal over it. I can't tell if the anxiety is the meds or the stress but I can't go on like this. Sorry to rant I just had to let it out. It's a living hell of worry.
  • Posted

Tracy I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It's often the selfless people that help others who get all the s--t in life. family members can be awful when they see possible pound signs ahead. I have seen a similar situation in my family. If you have had help from social services or caring agencies coming into help you with your grandad, see if any of the regular carers will give you witness/character statements to support you, & it sounds your husband is helping to support you by dealing with the solicitor. Do you have any other family members that would support you & back you up if necessary? Or your grandads gp? Persevere with the meds, I hope they will gradually help you to cope better & get stronger & help your thinking be clearer & in more perspective as they have done with me. Depression is a horrible condition if uncontrolled, as you just cant think straight, concentrate, & you worry about everything big & small all at once all the time, & can't make the simplist of decisions or know what to do next. I do understand. If you think about suicide, try & bring your sadness back from the brink & think of your most loved family & friends, and how it would destroy their lives too if were no longer here....It helps when you are really low to bring you back to perspective. I will keep an eye for your posts to see how you're getting on. take care xx
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

How are you doing with the Cipralex ? What week are you in ? I am not doing well, went from one symptom to another. The tremors have gone, but still get the shakes and nervous energy in the mornings. Had a bad awful chemical taste in my mouth for a couple of days last week, that has disappeared. Now in the past couple of days, my heart races periodically and it is very worrisome. This is my new side, and praying it goes away as the others have somewhat. Saw my Doc last week and she wants me to go from 10 mg to 20 mg. She actually wants me to start ASAP on the 20mg. I am nervous about the increase. Getting really hopeless as I am starting week 4 tomorrow and see no hope to feeling good yet, am so close to stoping this med. Everyone is saying to wait it out, and it takes 3 to 6 weeks, but so far don't see this at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.