Allergic to Tapazole after 22 days

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was told it is impossible to become allergic after over 20 days. So I continue taking 5 times more. Now nasty rash all over my body, none stop itching. I figure I have to stop Tapazole now.

Anybody knows will the rash go away after stopping Tapazole? Will anybody know should I change to PTU? 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to speak to your doctor sick.  I had awful itching with carbimazole (tapazole) and it did stop after I stopped taking it.  I was changed to ptu which seems to suit me better
  • Posted

Many drugs have very long half life which means you can get problems for months after stopping which makes it hard to pinpoint problems. Are you taking anything else that it could be interacting with?
    • Posted

Thanks both.

No, just atenolol and Tapazole. I first thought it was pecan, but then I realized it is not. I was just happy that I start to feel better, then allergy happened. Now my fingers swollen. Do I need to anything about it?

• Posted

It's very common with patients taking Tapazole, especially at higher doses.  Some people say that it is not a true allergy but most people stop taking it because of the effects. 
  • Posted

how stupid can some one be [not you ] if your alergic to peanuts one peanut can kill you , so if your allergic to this med your allergic you don tneed time to become allergic ,

i dont know about p t u hun hope someone can help u with that  ,i certainly stop the one thats making you ill . 

• Posted

There are different types of allergies.  One is called serum sickness that manifests much differently than the usual allergic reaction and is an autoimmune reaction.  I took a certain antibiotic for years with no problems and then had a serum sickness reaction to it and now no longer take it.  Wayne Dyer in one of his books talks about his brother who almost drowned and then since that episode always had hives around water, even if it rained.  Much later, he was able to help him stop this reaction.  So autoimmune reactions are not simple things and I can tell you most of medical practitioners do not understand serum sickness.

• Posted

Hi there i was the same on carbimazole i had massve red itchy dry bloches all over my neck line and some on my face.An di was only taking them for 6 days i got told to stop taking the straight away and now i am put on Tapazole on my 9 day so fingers crossed hope am alright on these so far so good.
  • Posted

Hi there i was the same on carbimazole i had massve red itchy dry bloches all over my neck line and some on my face.An di was only taking them for 6 days i got told to stop taking the straight away and now i am put on Tapazole on my 9 day so fingers crossed hope am alright on these so far so good.
  • Posted

I had itchiness when taking high levels of Methimazole (generic Tapazole) and went off it for a while--a few weeks.  It stays in the system for about 3 months.  I had to restart it, but at lower levels the itching did not return.  

I also had a test that showed I had drug-induced-Lupus, but Methimazole is not on the list of drugs that could cause it.  Nor was I taking any other drug at the time.  Who knows?

• Posted

Thank you all so much. Now The hive has covered every inch of my body except face. Any idea to stop the unbearable itch? And if I will take put, do I need to wait until the hive disappear? 

I have been waiting for Monday, so I can call my Endo. After stopping Tapazole, I went right very weak again. After 3 weeks on Tapazole, my T3 dropped to 12+ from 19+, and my T4 dropped to 3 + from 6+. As I am off Tapazole now, I am so afraid the numbers will go back again, and all the suffer was invain.

• Posted

yes i had a very bad rash like yours caused by an antibiotic 

every where except face i could hardly move my skin was so tight 

i had to have antihistamins .to clear it. 

best sort it that way as its such a large area .dont take risks 

• Posted

I would go to the Emergency Department of a local hospital.  This is nothing to fool around with and you may need a prescription medicine to help you with the hives. 
  • Posted

My doctor prescribed strong antihistamines which really helped. 
    • Posted

Thank you! I guess it is a pill. Did the pill make your heart palpitation?
    • Posted

Went to get 3 shots for crazy itching this afternoon, still itch, doctor said couldn't give me the fourth shot because my raising heartbeat. It helps afterwards. In the evening some itch comes back. What a touring disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.