Big toe fusion after bunion surgery, can I run again?

Posted , 54 users are following.

I had a buionectomy about 8 weeks ago. It was a severe bunion that could only be corrected by fusing my big toe straight as my whole foot was deformed.  While it looks better I am still very swolen and can not wear any shoes. Will I ever be able to run or dance again since I will never be able to bend my toe at the joint.  Any advise would be so appreciated.

1 like, 163 replies

163 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello

I had the same surgery plus forefoot reconstruction also about 8 weeks ago.  My foot is still quite tender and swells a little so I am in post op shoe and do not expect to be in shoes for another 4-6 weeks.  I expect to have swelling for another may be 6 months and hopefully return back to more or less normal within a year post surgery.  I have had a lot of orthopeadic surgery in my life and had to learn to be patient and realistic.  I do believe that a big toe fusion should not stop you from dancing and runing but perhaps not at a competition level.  However,  in my expereince it is most likely that there will be other difficulties to arise later like arthritis in other joints.  This is simply because fusion puts extra pressure on other joints.

• Posted

Thanks much!!! I will keep a good attitude and believe it will all be well. I am not competitive at all and only use those things to stay in shape and for sanity.  When did you start putting weight on your foot. I have been in a boot after cast since surgery on Dec 1 but he says I can try to walk about an hour a day. I try walking around the house a little but toe is not flat on the ground and I certainly can wear no shoes.

So I shall just think wellness thoughts and again thanks for your feedback.

• Posted

I was not allowed to weight bear for 6 weeks and then I started gradually.  

I cannot put full weight on the big toe and the bones in my mid foot are not healed yet so I do limp around and only in a post op boot which has completely stiff sole 

My big toe hurts a lot if I move it even slightly eg while washing my feet.

But I consider it normal and am not worried.

The part under your toe will lose sensitivity over time so don't force anything,  slowly and gently is really the way.  I walk probably 3 hours per day and that is quite a lot so if you do less it is fine too.  The main thing is to note how much you do today and compare it to may be a week or two ago and you should see that you are making progress just perhaps not as speedy as you would like.  To be honest I find the progress slow too but what choice do we have.  So onwards and upwards and remember how it was two weeks ago.

All the best

• Posted

I had the same procedure as you almost a year ago.  I was able to start golfing again at three months post-op and started jogging again at 4 months.  The fusion of the smaller toes has actually given me more trouble than the big toes.  I've had no trouble at all with the bunion removal.  So take heart, be patient and don't push it.  I realize my feet will never be as flexible as they were before, but I'd do it all over again.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Lynn ,

I've had a fusion and in agony after a year. What shoes are you running in ? Stiff soled , rocker sole or general trainers ?

In desperate need of advice surgeons and all physios seem clueless at aftercare

• Posted

It will be ten weeks on Monday from my scarf op, it's a long  and slow recovery for me. It seems to vary from person to person. Some seem to make  speedy recoverys. Others like me are slower to see any progress. I've only just been able to get into a very loose unlaced shoe. For short periods only. The rest of the time  soft mules in a large side. See my  backwards  discussion and you will see the probs I had.  I keep looking into the shoe cupboard and seeing all my shoes I can't get into.........  Even now I've still got a swollen joint that really does not want to bend, this is with doing exercises .    Keep looking at this site, it's so helpful, I would have been so lost without it,  so many people  are helpful and come up with advice and  support. 
  • Posted

It will be 9 weeks from my big toe fusion and forefoot reconstruction.  I am still in post op shoe as there is no chance to even consider normal shoe of any sort.  But I walk at least 3 hours a day and even though I do have pain I noticed that my foot tolerates more and more every week.  In other words,  there is progress,  slow but consistent.  My previous orthopeadic surgery expereince (and I had quite a few of them due to being born with club foot) taught me that the recovery takes many months but in the end it is always an improvement even if only for few years.  It is very hard to be patient yet what choice do we have smile

• Posted

Did you walk 3 hours a day at 9 weeks post surgery? i am 7 weeks post surgery and can only walk about 15min at a time i am a runner and this has been frustrating hoping for some positive feedback 😃

• Posted

I know it is some time since you had your operation; I had the same done three and a half years ago.  Recovery was very slow, I was told to keep off if for 6 weeks but found I still couldn't put my weight on it.  I bought a diver's weighted belt and walked in my local pool where the water was up to my chest every day for a few weeks.  I had trouble finding shoes to fit as the swelling took months to fully subside.  However I am now so pleased I had the operation, the pain went completely, I have more of a choice of shoes than before but can't say that I feel comfortable in high heels or ones that press down on my toe.

I started running again after about 9 months, I had to get used to running differentlyand took it very conservatively as I wasn't sure I should be doing this.  The toe was set with a slight turn up at the end so that I could still round off but I had a flat footed sort of gait - probably I was protecting it unkinowingly.  I had used to run Half and full marathons but am really happy at 59 years to still be able to run.  I tend to run distance between 3 and 10 miles and am currently coaching a group of beginners.

• Posted

Beachybeach, I hope this finds you well. I am curious how you are getting along and if you are running again. I had surgery Dec 2 2015. Before surgery I ran some but became too painful. I also swam laps. I guess if the running doesn't work out I will swim more. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. Other's, please let me know how your doing as well. 
  • Posted

I had the same surgery in October of 2014 and is still having swellings at the end of the day, my foot also feels like there is a rubberband around it when I wear my shoes. I used to wear very high heels but was told that I can only wear about 1-1 1/2 inches heel, in the last month I have worn about a two inch and had no pain except for the feeling that a band was around my to, I also feel like when I am walking I am walking on a ball at the bottom of my foot. I told my doctor but all he is concerned about is that the fusion looks really and he wish he had more clients whose fusion healed as well as mine, I don't think he hears my concerns at all. I am at the point of going to another orthopedic to find out if there was a problem during this surgery that I am not aware of, cause I was told that I should have no swelling after about six months but it is over a year. and I find that I cannot even wear some of my formal dresses cause I cannot find any shoes that looks good with them.
    • Posted

Hi Pat. I hope you are doing better. I had big toe fusion in my left foot in December and should have read all these posts beforehand. I am panic stricken right now as it is irreversible and I can never wear any of the shoes I own again. I am 62 but have been hiking five to ten miles daily until now. My whole life has been altered and I am scared of the rest of my body falling out of alignment. Please let me know how you are doing now. Thanks!
    • Posted

I had bunion surgery with toe fusion 5 weeks ago and I have the same concerns you have. If I had understood the procedure and if I had a better surgeon, with more experience, to explain it to me, I would never have had my toe fused. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi Pat, I had my operation just over 3 years ago. I find it very difficult to find shoes and would be interested to hear which shoes you wear. I seem to live in trainers. Thanks
    • Posted

I had my big toe fused years ago. The only shoes I find comfortable in are fitflops, boots and trainers. Ok in summer with sandals and flip flops but I am thinking of saving to have a complete new joint put in , approx £3k. I'm short and my husband is tall, loved my heels. Cannot walk far without big toe and bones over the other toes hurting but ibulieve gel helps. But I used to fall before I had the op. So learning to get on with it. Regards Jan.

• Posted

Lisa,

I am 8+ weeks post op big toe fusion, and concerned that I'll regret this decision. I love to hike and run. I'm walking ok but scared to walk directly on the joint even though my doctor told me I can gradually put weight on it. Do you still have regrets? How long before you could get back to your normal activity level? Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.