Esmya

Posted , 7 users are following.

Having had heave bleeding for 6 months from fibroids, with mirena coil unsuccessful,I started Esmya couple of days ago. However, despite also still being on tranexamic acid, my bleeding is now worse than ever with lots of lower abdominal pain. Can esmya make symptoms worse before they get better? Also, possible option for future treatment is ablation. Has anyone had this done or can tell me how bleeding is after this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I had lived with heavy bleeding since 2008/9 and only last year was told I had fibroids - 7 in total with the largest one being about 11cm. 

Last Sept after am emergency operation to remove firbords (only 1.5 where removed).  I was offered the M Coil and Esmya I decline the coil and didn't take Esmya.  

What has worked for me is a total change in diet - 80% raw and 20% cooked. I also started to a programme of holistic colonic irrigation which together with the change in diet has worked wonders for me.

After several weeks of the colonic I actually passed 3 fiboirds. I couldn't believe it but their they where! Additional my 11cm fb's is reducing in size.  My Surgeon was amazed at my quick turn around in healing based on just adopting what I have mentioned above especially considering how serious things where getting for me. Also, if things keep going the way they are no more medical procedures will be needed! - My bleeding as reduced from 21-30days to a week! and the heavyness is still there but not as bad as previously (hopefully this will reduce over time) And the pain has gone from a 20 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10.  

What is important to remember is that - FB's feed of processed, non live (dead) food, sugar.  Eat as much live raw, green food that you can.  Not only will will kill those pesty body invaders youwill probably loose a ton of weight without starving yourself.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Mamisuchi,

Sorry you're having a hard time.  I am on my last two weeks of Esmya and it took the tablets a week to start making me feel better.  Since then I've had very little trouble with them.  However they do not suit everyone, look at the other Esmya discussion boards, there's lots of helpful advice on here.

Good luck with them.

Annick

• Posted

Skim, Annick - Thank you for your replies which are really helpful. Good to know that esmya can take a while to work. Remember consultant saying this, but not that it may make things worse.

the info on diet is interesting. I had heard that soy products contain oestrogen which can cause fibroids to grow. I' ve been taking soya milk for years as dont tolerate dairy! Will have to rethink my diet but need a more immediate fix at the moment as already anaemic. Still hoping esmya will do the trick, at least in the interim.

• Posted

Hi everyone 

To quote from above from Skim "I had lived with heavy bleeding since 2008/9 and only last year was told I had fibroids - 7 in total with the largest one being about 11cm."

I have this exact situation, tried a more natural diet, cutting out meat, dairy, processed foood, sugar and caffiene, but fibs still grew.

I am on my last 11 days of Esmya and have had no side effects.

Regarding abalation, when i was in hospital for a blood transfusion , the ladt next to me was having a blood trans as she had an abalation a few months before and had been bleeding heavily, but thats just one person

I will be having a myomectomy in a month.

• Posted

Hi fibroids, just joined this discussion.

And am having the same problem as yours been placed on esmya for 3 months and am only half way through, I want to ask you how did it go with the pills?? Did you fibs shrunk before your operation? Thank you and hoping that you will reply soon x

• Posted

Esmya stopped me bleeding for 3 months, however, when I stopped taking them my bleeding was worse.  I did have few side effects like mini hot sweats and headaches.

My abalation failed due to a distorted uterus, the uterine arterial abalation has worked for me, in May 2014, I have now been discharged, best thing I ever did, my womb.has decreased from 11x12x12 to 6x6x8.9, apparently 6x6x6 is normal size, bleeding is like I was when I first started my periods at 13, brilliant, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Valerie, can i ask how long after you stopped taking Esmya did the bleeding start again ?
  • Posted

I think it was around about the time I would naturally have had a period.  That was a huge turning point for me after suffering. 

My uterus was 16-18 weeks, I had tried the resection, the mirena coil which lasted a month, I had previously had a coil and was not keen to retry, but was advised the hormone release would benefit me.  It expelled with a huge clot and I ended up going to a&e, the ablation failed and my last resort was the  U A E before the inevitable hysterectomy, I have my family and am sterilised, however, viewed the hysterectomy as the final thing, luckly for me the U A E worked, it is not without risk, but it concluded a 2 year roller coaster journey.

• Posted

Thanks Valerie, can't wait to get off this roller coaster lol. i was told my uterus was 20 weeks in size and consultant has said myomectomy is for me. I have had very heavy periods so hope after the surgery things will get better. 
  • Posted

Hi

Not sure if this will help but I was diagnosed with a polyp and 12 cm fibroid ... I had the polyp removed first which is when they found the fibroid. I then went in for an ablation ... I opted for the one where they leave the fertility, I also had a mirena coil fitted as well. After the op I basically bled for 4 months ... My consultant recommended I go on esmya for 3 months and then go back and have a full ablation after the 3 months was up.

It took about 2 weeks for the bleeding to stop and I did have a little discomfort but at least I stopped bleeding ... In December I did have about 3 weeks of spotting and went back to the doctors who said that if it continued would send me back for more tests as I am not happy with just jumping straight into an op after all it could b the mirena coil that was causing the spotting!

I finished the tablets at the beginning of January and fingers crossed have had no bleeding whatsoever.

I know people who have had the coil fitted that have spotted for a year so I am hoping that things have settled down and it was the coil that was causing the spotting and that I won't need another op!

Not sure if this has helped at all, but good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. Read everyone's comments which are helpful. Been on esmya 8 days now, sofar no change. Most people seem to have really large fibroids, mine only 3cm but causing havoc. Getting more anaemic and iron tablets not agreeing with me. Think I will consider endometrial ablation but need to check with consultant again as there seem to be different types and he only gave option of one. Hoping to go on our summer holiday this year but if ablation doesn't work will probably have to cancel as then need to wait for further treatment. 

Does anyone know if gynae problems need to be mentioned to holiday insurance company?

• Posted

Not sure about the hol insurance. But if the iron tabs not agreeing with you, try Spatone iron liquid - i find this much more aggreable , it tastes awful though !
  • Posted

Hi 

try taking iron with orange juice, it helps prevent the constipation.  I use a liquid called Floradix which works well for me.  Good luck 

• Posted

Hi ladies,

Thank you for all your replies and just an update. Esmya started working really well and beeding stopped after two weeks. A month later I only have a little discharge and apart from feeling very bloated have no side-effects. Haemoglobin going up slowly with iron tablets. Decided for hysterectomy rather than ablation as latter is only a temporary solution and as I also have a prolapse the surgery will hopefully help both problems. Will therefore move over to hysterectomy forum for support.

Thank you all!

• Posted

Glad it's going well for you, good luck with the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.