Being taken off by my doctor Amitriptyline 50mgs after 10yrs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to A&E last week with a heart rate of 178 beats per minute after regulating my heart with Beta-blockers I spent the night in hospital. I was told by a doctor I would have to come off Amitriptyline as they can cause fast heart rate which I sort of knew. I have been on them for 10 yrs first for depression then used for pain relief for Arthritic back and associated pain. I am now on a beta-blocker Bisoprolol 2.5mgs While I know I will get withdrawal symptoms but don't know what to expect.Anyone had this experience.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I know you wrote this in April 2012 but I wondered if you had any bad withdrawal symptoms as I would imagine that you are off the drug by now. I have been taking Amitriptyline for a few months and my heart beat is quite fast. I want to stop the drug, I've been taking it for sleeping, but want to know if you had any bad withdrawal symptoms. Obviously I know that everyone is not the same but it would be nice to know anyway. I hope you are well and that all your problems were sorted out. Best wishes.
    • Posted

hi jacsmith. Did you have any success quitting amitriptyline? I went cold turkey with nortriptyline and have been having a nightmarish time dealing with withdrawal symptoms. Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi, yes I don't take amitriptyline any more.  

Depends also what you are taking them for, but I would never go cold turkey, reducing down I believe is the answer.  If you're not happy with nortriptyline go back and ask to change to a different drug. 

I changed from amitriptyline to diazepam and then reduced them down over a period of time.  I only take an occasional 2mg if I can't sleep.  Good luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank for your reply. Did you go through any withdrawal symptoms? I've been losing my balance since I went cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I feel like my head and body is always rocking and swaying left and right, forward and backwards. And I'm also having sudden increase heart rate with shallow and labored breathing. These withdrawal symptoms seem to be going on forever and nowhere in sight. It feels like I'm worse than before I started the nortriptyline. I was put on this drug for headaches.
    • Posted

Hi, as I said before I would never go 'cold turkey' but I have had the symptoms which you describe with the rocking and swaying as though I'm on a boat.  My doctor prescribed Betahistine which is for vertigo and other things.  I did have increased heart rate etc but I was very worried about everything.  Please go back and see your doctor - are you a very anxious person - I know I am.  The more I thought about things the more I worried and my symptoms got worse.  Please try to relax but most of all see your doctor for further tests.

P.s. The withdrawal symptoms for me were anxiety, dizziness and feeling as if I were on a boat.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi again. Thanks for your concern. I have seen 4 doctors since I stopped cold turkey (well, I tapered it off in a 1 weeks period, but obviously that's way to fast). I have a few more appointments coming up in the next 2 weeks. I was never an anxious person. I was put on the nori for headaches. Somehow my heart rate would increase all of a sudden for no apparent reason then the labored breathing would start. I know it's part of the withdrawal process...just having a hard time dealing with it. Thank you so much for you reply once again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.