Help please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been swapped to Gabapentin  300mg a day from 80mg slow realse of Propranolol  for monthly miagraines which I end up in bed for 3days at a time.  Has anybody had any experience with Gabapentin for miagraines.? If so do they work? Do you have bad side affects? 

Any advice would be appreciated 

Karen

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I was lookig for info on Gabapentin and came across your post. I used to suffer with monthly migraines due to hormones and found that taking Angus Castus for a few days before has cured them! Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Karen, like Lisa I was looking for info on Gabapentin when I came across your post. I too used to suffer from terrible three day monthly migraines. I haven't had one since I went to an osteopath when I was 25 (that's 23 years migraine free). My sister also suffered from terrible migraines and has been migraine free for many years after seeing an osteopath. (There was the added side benefit that I no longer suffer from chronic, debilitating hay fever either or that pesky ingrown toenail!)

Everything I've read has made me very reluctant to have my gabapentin prescription filled.

• Posted

Hi josephine, I've had a headache/migraine for over a year now and have recently been prescribed gabapentin. drs say it is my last option but i am considering a non medical approach. do you think that maybe seeing an osteopath is worth it?
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

I definitely think the osteopath is worth it. I had migraines from 12 until I went to an osteo at 25. I've never had one since and they were stroke-like and totally debilitating. Dr had given me pills but never tried to find out what the underlying cause was. Turned out the bones in my head and neck were all out of whack from having banged my head a lot as a kid doing gymnastics and trampolining.

At the end of October last year I had my right lung removed. Recovery was going well until the end of January when my nerve endings started repairing. Excruciating! Because I couldn't do anything with my right side the left was over-compensating and I ended up with a migraine which lasted for 9 weeks. 3 visits - one a week for three weeks - to the osteo fixed it. The level of intensity reduced each time. My last visit was a week ago and I haven't had a headache since.

Taking the drugs is all very well but it's not addressing the underlying cause.

I would definitely recommend seeing an osteopath or chiropractor and possibly a naturopath to talk about diet as that can also have some influence.

Good luck Lauren. I know how utterly debilitating a longterm headache can be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.