I've recently stopped taking Amitriptyline for nerve pain and have been prescribed Gabapentin

Posted , 12 users are following.

I think Gabapentin is purely a nerve pain killer because as the dose wears off I start to feel the nerve pain that I didn't experience with Amitriptyline.  I swapped medications because I was still slight getting pain on 50 mg of Amitriptyline and having to take paracetamol and ibruprofen on a regular basis.  I'm concerned that by taking the Gabapentin I've taken a step backwards.  I'm also concerned about the negative press Gabapentin receives for short and long term use. However, I must admit that if the pain was eradicated I could put up with most side effects but as I'm still getting pain and on 600 mg 3 x a day, I'm wondering if it's worth it.  Could I take Amitriptyline AND Gabapentin? Would love to hear people's experience and opinions because I do usually over think things!!!  Thanks :-)

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Have taken gabapentin from April to Dec initially it changed my life by reducing the pain but developed very strange side effects paranoia anxiety sleeplessness. So have stopped it. I took it for fibromyalgia.
    • Posted

I seem to have a few side affects currently, mainly drowsiness and dizziness (although it comes and goes strangely!!).  I will persevere for a few weeks to see if things settle.  Thanks for your reply and I hope you find something to ease the flare ups.  Fibromyalgia is an awful condition to have and much like my condition means that managing it is the only option.  Best wishes :-)
  • Posted

Many people take amitriptyline and gabapentin together.  Amitriptyline as well as another  antidepresant, Celebrex-(expensive in the USA),  seem to have nerve pain reduction. I'm also going to do a search re long term use of antidepresents on brain function.  Is it back pain you have? Lack of effective pain management is  certainly a quality of life issue. Will keep you posted.
    • Posted

My pain is gynaecological.  I was diagnosed with nerve pain about two years aga after having this pain for almost 25 years on and off.  Over the years all tests came back negative, so there was no explanation.  I think my hormones are linked because I was pain free throughout my 30s and throughout my 2 pregnancies but I hit 45 a couple of years ago and I have not been pain free since (except when taking medication).  It's interesting that it's okay to take the Amitriptyline and Gabapentin together.  I have an appointment with my consultant in Feb, so will mention drug combinations then.  Thanks for the feedback and will be interested to hear your findings in the use of antidepressants.  Thanks.

• Posted

I was taking Gabapentin 300mg 3x day, Tramadol SR 100mg  2x day, Brufen SR 800mg 2x day, Amitriptylene 10mg up to 3 per night(for sleeping). All were fine together and were for my back injury. I had to change doses a bit to get it right for me, but great combination. I had withdrawal symptoms when coming off them after being on them for 15 months,(I got very depressed but have had depression issues prior to this), but my Dr got me off by reducing very slowly on lower dosage tablets..
    • Posted

Wow, that's impressive. I guess "slow" is the way to go.  I tend to try to do things to fast.  My Doc lets me try different reductions althought she tends to think I'm stable at the current doses and doesn't really want me to disrupt that.  If it wern't for my concern for memory issues, i'd probably go a little slower.  I've had depression issues since childhood and am concerned about it getting out of hand.  I did the best on Cymbalta, but stopped because i couldn't keep up with the monthly cost.  Your message is encouraging.  TNX.

• Posted

Hi, I damaged the nerves in both legs 17 yesrs ago,I went on amitrypline and I felt awful so they put me on pregabalin , and that wasnt doing the trick,then I went on gabapentin up to 4500mg of which if you look it up more than 3600mg and your body gets rid of it,anyway been on it for 15 years , now 2100mg gabapentin and 200mg sr (slow release) tramadol, I walk no more than 30mins x2 daily , sit 20mins at a time,but can lay down with little pain with the help of gabapentin,(side affects for me is tiredness etc but you get used to it)to me it saved my life,I cant work but I can live with little pain,have had spinal cord surgery (wires in spine,9 year battery in arse cheek)a big tens machine,sounds funny but is very good,some people take no meds at all just the machine on constant,let me know if I can be of any help,nerve pain is really really awful, nobody knows except you and others like you
    • Posted

Wow, that was a whopping dose.  I had cognitive imparement at 2400 mgs/day.  After my 10 level fusion with rods, I'm still having upper back pain walking for 15 mins.  More stenosis where the rods end. Did you notice anything other than the tiredness with Gabapentin?  I guess it could be worse. Take Care.  Thx for the tip for the battery in the butt. Duracell Dave or James Bond!

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I've recently had a total hip op.  The hip is fine, but I have severe pain under foot, swollen ankle, swollen foot n toes and my leg is cold and also my foot, n my calf muscle gets really tense and hard.   I was originally on paracetamol and ibuprofen but the stabbing pain in my foot was unbearable so I was put on Gabapentin n nothing happened after 2 weeks so given (Lyrica) Pregabalin 75mg and 50mg Tramadol. Pain eased but still disturbed sleep when medication wears off. Went to see an anaesthetist and he prescribed the Pregabalin, Amantadine 100mg, Amitriptyline 10mg, and 200mg modified release Tramadol. The Amitriptyline knocked me out with just 100mg of Tramadol, so stopped that. Now just take Pregabalin, Amantadine, 50mg tramadol, (100mg night) n 2 paracetamols. Sleep pretty well, but want to know why I have this, surgeon says it's nothing that he's done and said it may be the spinal injection that caught a nerve. Still trying to know why my leg n foot are cold? Doctors just seem to want to mask the pain and don't actually get to the real source of the pain!!!!!!! Good luck

• Posted

Hi Claire. I had spinal surgery in 2010. My back is as good as it'll ever be, but I live with constant pain. I am unable to take strong painkillers, so was given Amitriptyline. I stopped taking them after suffering nose bleeds and feeling like a complete zombie. 2 months ago, the doctor started me on Gabapentin 300mg, once, twice, then 3 times a day. It's not been working for me and my pain is getting me down. Spoke to doctor today and like you, he said to up to 600mg 3 times a day and take zapain inbetween. Seems an awful lot. Hate taking tabs at the best of times. Gabapentin have not been given very good reviews, so I completely understand your concerns. Not sure you can take both. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Claire. I was on Tramadol, Gabapentin, Brufen and with Amitriptylene at night only. As I came off them, I realised the Gabapentin wasn't really doing anything for me. The Amitriptylene helped me sleep as the pain was worse on lying down. So it seems these can all be taken together. Having to take any pharmaceutical drugs has different effects on different people. I have had long term depression and have taken Citalopram for years. However, when coming off the pain killers I had awful depression worse than I had before, it was very hard but I'm off the painkillers now. I'm one of the lucky ones :-) Hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Yes you can my doc prescribed me with gabapentin amytriptiline aswel as marol.
  • Posted

I have a similar problem. After high doses of ibuprofen to cope with severe pain in cervical, I found that a combination of amitriptyline and gabapentin works great. I now take one 300mg gabapentin every 8 hrs and a single 25mg amitriptyline at bedtime. This works great for me. Good luck.
  • Posted

Gabapentin really did help my nerve pain tremendously. Basically removed it. However the mental side effects were just too severe. Physically I experienced little side effects compared to a lot of people on here but mentally I couldn't continue with it. It's a shame because for the first time in years I was free of the nerve pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.