Anyone ever heard of this before?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I'm new to this page, I've been quite active on the Hysterectomy page. I had a a 9cm fibroid and a few smaller ones which had been causing me trouble and a long list of other problems for a while. I was offered emboilisation or a TAH I opted for the TAH and had that last week (29th Jan 2015). The next day the consultant came to see me and told me all had gone well but that my large fibroid had been at the top of of my womb and the weight of it had caused my womb to fold over in half and my womb had adhered to my stomach lining, he seemed quite surprised by what he had found and actually said he didn't know how it had happened. Just wondering if I am normal, no don't answer that, just tell me if you have heard anything like this before! LOL smile xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Luckymum, I have a similar presentation to you. I have multiple fibroids and a fibroid of 9cms on top of the uterus. I was given Esmya tablets to shrink the fibroids and offered embolisation or hysterectomy. Rejected embolisation as no way do I want pva glue in my arteries. I no longer need these bits so out they can come. Due to my age and changes Esmya can make to lining of uterus surgeon insisted on hysteroscopy and biopsy which I had today. Photographs show uterus is being compressed by the fibroid squashing it down producing pain in the lower left abdomen making walking during the worst 3 days of my period so painful I look like an extremely old infirm person with people asking if I am alright constantly. I am a psychiatric nurse so used to asking this of others. Sorry it's so long but you are not unusual or alone. Hopefully surgery fairly soon for me. Hope you continue your recovery. Let people take care of you.
    • Posted

Hi Jeanette, thanks for you reply. I truly feel for you and your situation. I too had days where even walking was painful, though mine seemed to be mainly pre menstuation or around ovulation, I also found towards the end bending over was difficult and sometimes painful as I could feel the pressure in my stomach. I also could not lift anything heavy as this would also cause pains in my stomach and occasionally caused bleeding too sad This was all besides the 'normal' symptoms associated with large fibroids, yet before the op I still asked myself if I was doing the right thing, I can tell you for me personally, although atm I'm in some discomfort (not pain as such) and tired, I KNOW I made the right decision for me. I genuinely hope that your op is not too far around the corner, that you can be comfortable with you descision and wish you a full and speedy recovery xx
    • Posted

I have a question for you....  You mentioned that Esmya can change the lining of the uterus, but I have not heard this before.  Could you please explain what you have heard and why that would warrant getting rid of the uterus?  I am 43, have a 9 cm fibroid that has shrunk to 7cm.  I still have 3 more months on Esmya and am hopeful it will shrink some more so I can perhaps have a myomectomy instead of a hysterectomy.  I have been lucky as there has been no pain (only extremely heavy menstrual cycle that as led to anemia).  I have heard that the sexual pleasure for men can decrease after a hysterectomy due to there not being anything there anymore (I have read online that some men complain that it´s like having sex out of a window).  I know that my health comes first, but am wondering if anyone else had heard about this potential issue..  Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, getting rid of your uterus is a personal decision and what is right for one person may not be for another. 

As regards Esmya the lining will thicken as you do not bleed. Period at the end of the 3 months was horrendous and I am used to dealing with hourly changes. No more Esmya for me. Only side effect was extreme tiredness. Now I am left with pain and at 54 have no signs of menopause. Having waited 4 years before seeking treatment thinking it was around the corner. Family history tells me this will probably not happen. Yes there are other choices but this is mine. Myomectomy is more difficult more blood loss and they will return. Different choices for us all.

• Posted

Ps, pop over to the Hysterectomy forum on here, lots of lovely ladies and great support too xx
    • Posted

Ps, pop over to the Hysterectomy forum on here, lots of lovely ladies and great support too xx
    • Posted

Actually, I'm wondering about sex life too and it is a consideration. I have to decide between endometrial ablation and hysterectomy as tablets and mirena didn't work. Removing womb and cervix will shorten the vaginal canal, hence the possible changes for men? Have also heard that lack of orgasm can be a side effect long term. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone so I think be positive, when everything goes well you'll feel so much better and quality of life will definitely improve.
  • Posted

Hi Luckymum,

I have a question for you....  You mentioned that Esmya can change the lining of the uterus, but I have not heard this before.  Could you please explain what you have heard and why that would warrant getting rid of the uterus?  I am 43, have a 9 cm fibroid that has shrunk to 7cm.  I still have 3 more months on Esmya and am hopeful it will shrink some more so I can perhaps have a myomectomy instead of a hysterectomy.  I have been lucky as there has been no pain (only extremely heavy menstrual cycle that as led to anemia).  I have heard that the sexual pleasure for men can decrease after a hysterectomy due to there not being anything there anymore (I have read online that some men complain that it´s like having sex out of a window).  I know that my health comes first, but am wondering if anyone else had heard about this potential issue..  Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sarah, it's not me that has talked about Esmya, it is Jeanette in the post above yours (I'm the original thread author and Jeanette has replied to me). I'm afraid I cannot answer your question as I was not on any medication prior to TAH other than Tranexamic Acid which simply just slows the bleeding down. Hope you can find your answers soon and put your mind at rest xx (If you click on the reply to Jeanette button at the ottom of her reply it should send her a notification that you have replied to her)
    • Posted

Thanks Luckymum...sorry I accidentally sent the message to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.