Acid reflux, digestive disorders and Prescription medications

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have been suffering from acid reflux and occasional major nausea and vomiting episodes for about 6 years.  My doctors have threatened me with surgery and say that I am uncooperative.  When I am going through a vomiting episode I have even considered the worst  Yes, that bad.  I have seen many doctors about my digestive issues and not one has mentioned that the Flonase that I have used for almost 8 years could be related.   That is unforgivable and borderline malpractice.  I should sue them all.  I have stopped my Flonase treatment and hope I start getting better.  I would like to hear your story of prescription medication related digestive disorders.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

My reflux started after I took salbutomol asthma reliever several times a day for a few weeks after a chest infection which I took a long time to recover from.  The reflux hasn't gone away though now my asthma is under control.
    • Edited

I'm sorry to hear that you are still suffering from reflux after stopping the medication.  Many medications are hormone based or block hormones.  They affect the entire body.  Some of them end up in the digestive system.  I would like to see doctors be more informative on these side effects.  I noticed many digestive related side effects from Salbutamol.  I know that there is a lot of money being made on treating side effects.  I hope that doctors are not deliberately profitting from our misery.  I intend to write a letter to the FDA and see if they are aware of this issue.  I hope you get well as time goes by.  John

• Edited

Hi John

Sorry to hear of your problems, Flonase is used for nasal congestion isn't it? Did you have nasal issues before the relux?

• Edited

Yes, night time congestion which affected my sleep.  I got hooked for a while on OTC nasal sprays.  And I thought that Flonase was my ticket to breathing freely again.  When I started having digestive disorders, neither me or my doctors considered the Flonase.  But, they had their computer in their laps and should have easily noticed the relation.  I had to retire early 1 1/2 years ago because I could not make it to work due to nausea and vomiting episodes.  Once I had to be taken by ambulance from work due to this issue.  I barely dogged the partial removal of my small intestine.  All of this because I was unknowingly spraying the culprit in my nose. 
    • Edited

Wow, didn't know that this could happen.  I use something similar to flonase and wonder if I should stop, see if it helps my acid reflux.  Hmm
    • Posted

Technically, you should wean off of it.  In oregon USA, cannibis will soon be legalized and I am currently trying a cannibis based nasal spray, with good results.  No THC in this spray.  Cannibis has natural anti inflamitory properties. 
    • Posted

I want to get this straight, I am not promoting cannabis for recreational use.  But, I am starting to believe in medicinal use of non THC medical cannabis.  There is evidence that it can reduce digestive disorders and also in pain control. 
  • Edited

Hi John

The reason I asked the question is because I was on Nasonex for 3 months before my reflux started (nasal congestion issues). 2 years later after loads of tests and visits to ENT/GI I was told that nasal congestion can be caused by reflux. The Nasonex did nothing for my congestion - There is plenty of info about reflux/nasal congestion. Have you had any tests for reflux? You may find if the reflux is treated the congestion may go away

• Edited

Hi moonbuggy:  I have had nasal congestion since I was about 15 years old.  Probably a food allergy.  I had a bout with reflux in my late 20's.  Then was okay until about 51 when the reflux started again.  I had been of Flonase for about 2 years when it came back.  At this point I believe that the Flonase caused the reflux as opposed to the reflux causing the nasal congestion.
  • Edited

Hi John,

I staretd with heartburn problems after taking some medication (uncoated steriods) for give days after having a chest infection.  They should of put me on some kind of heartburn tablets at the same time but now it has resulted in me having Omeprazole, which has now changed to Lansoprazole every day to help me.  The heartburn problems have gone now with the help of medication but I have still got a lump feeling in my throat which is now stopping me from eating solid foods and I now am on a liquid diet!  I am awaiting to have tests done to see what is going on inside but I am sure that I have gerd/lpr or something similar.  If I go a day without taking my medication I too get heaving attacks where I am about to be sick which is very unpleasant but at least the medication keeps that at bay! I too have asthma and use a steriod inhaler daily and have salbutomol when needed but I have had that one and off for years and it didn't cause me any heartburn/digestive problems - only until I took those steriods before Christmas time! Hope that yo start to get better soon. Amanda.

• Edited

Hi Amanda:  Thanks for your reply.  I am pretty sure that oral or nasal spray steroids are designed to reduce inflamation, and that they may cause the LES, lower esophageal sphincter to dilate.  If this is true, it would actually prevent the sphincter from closing, because now the area is wider.  Once that happens then the esophageal burning occurs and we start taking acid blockers to prevent acid production.  I have stopped using the Flonase spray and I hope that my esophageal sphincter will recover.  It's been 4 days off of it and already I feel better with less burning.  I think that steriod medications affect us over time and perhaps the combination of different steriods can accumulate in our body and cause a time delay reaction.   I wish you well, John
  • Edited

Thanks John.  I will you well too.  This whole acid reflux thing is a complete nightmare and I wouldn't wish it on anyway.  I am just thankful for these forums where you can chat to people that are in the same boat as you that is the only reassuring thing that there are lots of us out there with type of problems!  My heartburn has gone now which is good but its rubbish following a liquid diet and just want to get rid of this lump feeling in my throat, as that is the only thing causing me problems at the moment!  I will await my test and then will hopefully see what is going on and try and get to the bottom of things.  Glad that you are feeling a bit better.

Amanda.

• Edited

I just looked up that lump in the throat symptom.  It is called "Globus sensation" and does not appear to be dangerous, as long as there is no physical lump.  Like I mentioned earlier, steroids can cause dialation of the esophagus.  That could be the cause of the feeling. If you can stop those medications for a while, you may eventually get relief.  I don't believe in doctors treating the side effects of drugs.  I think it is borderline malpractice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.