Am I right about this..warfarin question?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my dads on wardarin, stable inr (has Afib permanently) he's got to come of warfarin 5 days before the biopsy but has a major opeartion about 12 days after this. I'm going to speak to the nurse overseeing his care re, major op but I'm thinking he can't resume warfarin after initial biopsy as it will take about 5 days to start working and he'll then have to come off it then (5 days before next op) I'd like to think someone at the hospital will have thought about this but dad said no one has said anything about what he should do in between these procedures. He's been given dodgy Adobe before about warfarin so I'm on the case now and will follow this up (want to make sure he's looked after ckrrect) but I'm thinking he will need tinziparin (or something similar) to keep him covered. Does this sound right? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the spelling errors, a combination of autocorrect and writing this on my phone!
  • Posted

I have just had surgery - so 5 days prior I was taken off Warfarin but each day I had to go to our local hospital and I was given what they call a "bridging" injection. This was kind of a backup because I wasn`t on Warfarin which makes a person quite vunerable for a stroke so the doctor said.  I am now back on Warfarin but still going each day for this injection until my INR is at the correct level.   Sorry I can`t be more explicit as to what this "bridging" injection was......but as mentioned my doctor was insistant that I had this injection has a precautionery measure.

Best wishes to your Dad with his surgery. 

• Posted

I am about to have surgery in the next  month, and will be coming off Warfarin 5 days before it. What the consultant said was that because I am only on a low dose then I can probably simply stop taking it for a couple of weeks without the stroke risk getting too high (also my AF is very intermittent), but that people on a higher dose, particularly those with valve replacements, would need the bridging medication. She didn't mention what this bridging medication was, but I guess there are several kinds. I am on 3.5 mg. a day of the Warfarin.
    • Posted

Hi Lucy, I`m on 3 mg per day of Warfarin but in am in AF during the day on and off.  So I guess with my AF being quite frequent the bridging injection is a precaution in my case.

Good luck with your surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.