Could this be Cervical spondylosis/Osteoarthritis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 26 year old female with terrible forward-facing posture and rounded shoulders. I also suffer migraine that seems to radiate from the neck. It is extremely painful to lift my shoulders back or try to stand straight.

When I was around 13 I injured my neck. I was in excruciating pain and could not move my neck at all without crying. I had x-rays done but as far as I know nothing showed up as abnormal. A few times since then I had the same problem, though the more I got it the more it felt like a really really bad cramp on the side of my neck, which would stick around most of the day but wasn't as severe as the last time. These days I get similar pain but it goes away faster. A turning point seemed to be one day around 8 years ago I was stretching my neck and felt a big 'pop' and then I didn't get much pain after that, I thought I'd somehow cured myself because I was fairly pain-free for a while after.

One of my main concerns now is the crunching I can feel in my neck. All it takes is to stretch my neck and I can hear a crunching and cracking sound. It's extremely uncomfortable. Also I have this pinching-type pain that radiates down between my shoulder blades, as though something is pulling.

And now, this past week or so it seems to have worsened, and now I am left with a huge pressure in the back of my head whenever I stand up, and my neck feels very weak. Stretching, massaging, etc only relieves the pain for a few seconds.

I am trying to get in to see a doctor, which is proving to be easier said than done. So in the meantime I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this and knows what it may be (the closest thing I found on the web was spondylosis, I am hoping it isn't something so serious). Is there any way to relieve the pain? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thurain

Seems you need to establish what the nature of the problem is first.  It could be several types of neck issue.  If you ask your GP for a referral for an MRI scan,  or failing that, a referral to a physiotherapist who would then refer for MRI,  you might be able to get a definitive report on the problem.  MRI is the current best method for establishing a spondylosis cause.  You may have to press for the scan,  but considering your history,  that shouldn't be a problem.  I think it would be unwise for anyone to advise on pain relief until you're sure what the problem is.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Gerry you're absolutely right. Unfortunately my location makes seeing a doctor difficult (they rarely open for new patients, and I'm new to the area, and cannot afford to travel elsewhere at the moment), but I will keep trying. I've only ever had x-rays on my neck which never showed anything, and that hasn't been for years. So I will keep the MRI in mind for when I manage to get my appointment.

I'm afraid the pain and disfigurement will only get worse, though I'm not sure how it can be fixed or improved either. Suppose this will be at the top of my 'get checked out' list when I can finally get in to see a doctor lol

• Posted

Considering this is an old injury, while you are waiting on the gp to be available have you gotten any massage therapy or physicall therapy for your neck in the meantime?
  • Posted

Another way to speed things up would be to go to A&E at hospital.  You don't need a referral to do that,  and they would have physiotherapists and MRI scanners to hand.  I'd only advise that if it feels 'urgent' and the GP process looks too awkward or slow.  If you're in pain they would be obliged to run the tests.
    • Posted

I have considered that, but I don't think it's gotten to the point of an Emergency visit. This has been a slow chronic sort of condition despite being very painful. I registered with a medical centre the other day, it was just my luck that they have a new female doctor starting in a few weeks who can see me smile Hopefully I can hold out until then.
    • Posted

Hopefully, you can hold out without too much worry.  It really is incredible sometimes the way they delay appointments for weeks.  I can remember a time,  only 20 years ago when anyone could get to see their doctor on the same day as asking.  And it was like that as long as I remember before that.  What's happened that makes it so difficult now.  Are they having longer lunch breaks....like from 9 to 5 ?  It simply isn't right that patients in trouble should have to insist on being seen asap.  That looks like a nasty little power trip that's been introduced into the system from their side,  only because they know we're relunctant to complain about it and risk being seen as troublemakers.  They really need to get their priorities sorted out....we come first,  as it used to be.  Rant over,  or better still,  rant postponed until my next visit.
  • Posted

Hi, I have had neck pain for about 8 years . Referred to physio few times but no improvement. Saw different physio about  6 years ago and much more helpful. She suggested to gp that I have X-ray and they told me I had degenerative changes c5 6 7 . Ended up seeing consultant and had MRI which showed discs bulging and oa in some of facet joints. Ended up having steroid injections about 3 years ago which helped loads. Just having bad flare up again so wondering if need more injections. If not for that physio , I may still be wondering why not getting better and being fobbed off. Just shows things do need to investigated. At least I know it's something I have to live with. I had whiplash about 25 years ago and think that it has now come back to haunt me! But you do need to find cause of it. Keep hassling those drs ! 
    • Posted

Hi. I was just told that I have degenerative disc in C5 6 & 7 also. I have been having neck pain that radiates up the back of my head, ear and eye. It sometiems makes my ear feel tight and a pinching in my eye. Holy smoke, I didn't know your neck and cause all that. The doctor just gave me a steroid pack for 6 days which i started yesterday. The neck feels a little looser today but my eye and head still feel achey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.