Mirena Coil, Fibroids & extreme bloating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Ladies..... I have been diagnosed with multiple Fibroids & was reccomeneded to have a Hysterectomy - I'm 41 and have no kids so this is not an option for me at the moment. As a younger girl I suffered from major cramps, heavy bleeding, fainting etc during my period - this subsided when I started training for marathons - then I suddenly got severe bloating so I visited my GP. long story short - I opted for a DNC, Lapraoscopy & having the coil fitted. I was hoping that having this procedure would end the PMT, bloating etc - I had my op (the very first ever) on Jan 23 2015 and this week ( two weeks later) I am severely bloated again (not gas) it looks like 3-4 months pregnancy ( as it always did) and I'm very weepy and emotional - does this pass? How long do I need to wait? I am back training, running and lifting weights (I am very small 6-8) but I cant take the crying and bloating any longer - also my face has errupted too!  I look like a teenager - Sorry to sound so whingey - I know I'm not seriously ill but I need some advice from any likeminded ladies out there - any help? Thanking you in advance - does it right it self after a while???

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello,i am so sorry for all that ur goung through.

im 25 and my OBYN has advised i get the mirena iud inserted too...appointment next week.I know this doesnt answer ur question but,r u bleeding xpntinuously since the insertion? Have u experienced any weight gain?

I have the same problems as u,n im just sick and tired of the bloating too

• Posted

Hi Ivy, after i got it fitted, I had spot bleeding for a few days but that was it.... not too sure of actual weight gain but after one week, it looks like I'm abut 3-4 months pregnany again - my tummy is very bloated, & more so than usual !! I cant stand it, its very frustrating, the coil was supposed to shrink the fibroids which I presummed would reduce the bloating - It is early days but I'm just hoping that it comes good in a while - my friend said it can take up to 6 weeks for everything to settle down - thats a long time!
    • Posted

Hey how u feeling now?I got the Mirena fitted in february 17th,and on February 20th i was in the emergency room.Everything was in place,except after the tests were done,the doctor told me i had a follicle in my ovary!!i was shocked because i neva had any issues like this before....but he gave me pain killers and told me to take them,the issue will go on its own.

Now to the Mirena IUD....i used to have heavy periods,lasted 4 days n was ALWAYS BLOATED.After Mirena,i have extremely light periods,lasts bout 2 weeks,and im never bloated.Thing is,i had normal cramps but now i have extreme painful cramps ,on n off!

I dont like bleeding for 15 days but i hope it stops...im tired already!

Just thought i should give u my update.Thanx

• Posted

Its early days yet your body neds to settle after its invasion! The Mirena made me very emotional and I had severe mood swings, do some research and talk to your GP as its not for everyone
    • Posted

Hi Ellie - I know its early days but very frustrating - I thought i had evrything under control pre the coil with weekly accupunutre & now after the op it looks like I've gone back to square one but a lot more worse off! I will though give it time & see what happens - thanks for your advice!
  • Posted

Hi iv had the coil for about 3 months now and Im still a bit bloated only look about 3 months pregnant now
  • Posted

Hi iv had the marina Coil about 3/4 months now the bloating was bad I also looked 4 months pregnant but has now settled did have spotting fir a few days and cramps but thankfully all settled no bleeding wot so ever still get the dd cramp but doesn't last long but generally feeling good hope it all passes quickly
    • Posted

Wooow you are so lucky!!

Since february i have been bleeding for 2 weeks every month and i really hate it!Its not heavy,its light...but still i cant take this for too long

Is there a medication that can stop this?i generally feel good after the 2 week bleeding....i just dont want to bleed for 2 weeks.its exhausting!

• Posted

Not got a clue my doctor says it can take up to 6 months to settle hope yours settle soon x
  • Posted

Hi, Here's my update..... I had the coil removed after 8 weeks, couldnt put up with the bloating or massive weight gain - 10lbs in 8 weeks! So i had it removed on March 20th..... I got my period about 3 weeks alter and I had lost 6lbs and the bloating has done down. I visited a herbal doctor and I am now taking a herbal remedy 3 times daily to see if that shrinks the fibriods.... fingers crossed it works. I am so glad I had the Mirena Coil removed, it really wasnt for me.... 
  • Posted

I have been on Mirena for 5 yrs now, scheduled to have it remove tomorrow 20th; not sure this is why I have big tummy or may be my fibroids is growing. I was contemplating on inserting another Mirena until my daughter sent me this blog/website. Pls could you share your herbal remedy you are taking for fibroids. Made up my mind not inser another Mirena until am convinced this is why I have a bloated tummy. Thank you for your quick response.

• Posted

Hi, I am tyring to contril my fibriods with a clean diet and herbs - I went to a naturopath and she decides what the best course of herbs is - so you need to contact a naturopath. I would wait a few months to see if your tummy reduces in size after you have the coil out, to see if its that, and then failing that go to see a naturopath. I also have accupunutre weekly for bloating too - this is because my fibriod is the size of a melon. I can actually see if under my tummy its so big! Good luck!
  • Posted

Thank you for the info, I just had the coil removed this morning....a little cramps am experiencing. Will wait to see my if my tummy goes down thank u
  • Posted

hi dee i had the mirena coil inserted in april after having a DandC, for the first month i had pain and discomfort and some bleeding but these symptoms have subsided, i have regular spotting every day but no pain or mood swings

i have noticed a slight increase in my tummy area, around 3 inches im following a clean eating diet and drinking plenty of fluids im hoping the the bloating will go down if it doesnt ill check with my gp and see what we can do about it. my advice to you is everyone is different so give yourself  about 6 months and if you dont feel any better talk to your gp and have it removed, im also a 6-8 and i find it difficult to deal with the bloating but other than that the rest seems to be falling into place

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.