dabigatran caps

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am really dreading having my hip replaced as I have to inject myself afterwards. I am sooooo scared and really hope that I can have Dabigatran caps. I am hopeless with huge pills. I am not keen on needles when I am so tense all the time. please can some one advise Thank-you Amandah

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had the pre-op assessment for your hip replacement yet? If not, then this would be the time to discuss your concerns about the Dabigatran. If you have already had this appointment, then maybe contact the pre-op. department again to talk about it. Or visit your GP. Far better to get it sorted out in advance than be tempted to skip taking it, and risking thrombosis. Maybe you could arrange for a visiting nurse to come and give you the first couple of injections and supervise you injecting yourself, just to give you a bit more confidence. Hope all goes well with the surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Lucy, Thank -you forthis. Were you on injections? How long for ? I Have absolutley no confidence in myself, I just wish I could cancel the whole op as I am just terrified about everything. I am so broken hearted inside. Thank-you regards Amandah
  • Posted

Amanda,

I haven't had a hip replacement but nearly 3 years ago I had a gall bladder removed.  As am on  Warfarin they told me that I would have to inject myself.  I told the doctor I couldn't do this and could he arrange for either a nurse from the surgery or the District Nurse to come and do same for me.  He agreed, and both before and after the operation someone came (sometimes twice a day when necessary after the operation).  So ask!  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Amandah - sorry to hear that you are worried about having a Hip Replacement. I had one about 4months agoand being on Warfarin for Life meant that I had to stop my wrfarin 4 days before the op. and inject myself with Heparin for the two  days immediatley befor my Op. Dont be afraid , the needles are very short and I was able to gatjer a small bit of tummy fat between thumb and foorefinger and pop the injection in and honestly I did not feel it going in. That said I do appreciate there will be other folk who will find this not so easy, so do not be afraid to ask for it to be done at your local health centre.

My actual Hip operation went very smoothly and I am now pretty well recovered, so I can only suggest that you talk over any anxieties with your doctor, who may be able to arrange help for youn with the injections. So all the best and be assured that it is all very worthwhile to be out of pain - like I am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.