turp

Posted , 16 users are following.

has anyone else had this op ?????

2 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey junior,

Yes, I had a turp four weeks ago today and it went very well. I can tell you all about it if you'd like details.

-buster

• Posted

Junior, I felt the benefits immediately after the catheter was removed (full stream, like a racehorse). It took about three weeks for the blood to go away, and four weeks after the surgery I still have a slight burning when I urinate and I don't completely empty my bladder, although that is improving.
  • Posted

I had a Turp done on the 21/11/2015 ( and very glad I did ) although not for the fist few weeks after. If you are considering having it done then I wish you all the  best.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

The last show of blood was about 5-6 weeks after the op but cleared up quick. I found that the first 3 weeks were the worst ( having to use the toilet every hour.

( but as I had a folley cath. for aprox 3 months off and on, it was

magic to be able to urinate like when I was 20 ) I still have urges but they are under control by taking  one tablet of Oxybutynin a day ( I'm told I should be able to come off them in a month ) also even without them I can go all night without needing to use the toilet. I chose to have the turp as it is the Gold standard by which other procedures are measured , ( the others have not been around long enough to see how effective they are long term.

• Posted

Thanks Howard glad your doing well and I am glad I talke to you and Buster you can't imagine how at ease I feel cheers good health to you all

Junior

• Posted

Hi Howard,

Hope all is well with you.  Finally had my operation, (health matters slowed it down for a while).  Glad that you are now fully recovered.

Best Wishes

Brian

• Posted

Hi, Brian ,

how did it all go ? the first 3 weeks are the worst. I'm getting there ok, still have a slight urge problem. I seem to have found a new freedom.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Hi Howard,

Great to hear from you.  Yes I can understand the first few weeks are the worst now.  Bleeding has started to reduce over the last few days. I am a bit incontinent now and again, need to do keep up with my pelvic floor exercises.

Not been in much pain apart from when I nearly finish weeing. I don't get the strongest urge to go to the toilet as yet, maybe that will come.  I had a catheter on for quite a while as you know.

Kind Regards

Brian

• Posted

I take Oxybutlyne for the urges ( can go without a wee for an hour without them  but 3 hours with them ) even now if I hold back when I get an urge then the next time I go I get a pain starting and pain finishing.

they say the longer you have had the problem then the longer it is to recover ( don't know how true that is) but it's so nice not having the Foley and also being able to sleep right through the night not wanting to Pee)

my quality of life is so much better now ( I was put back abit as just over a week ago I had a Hernia repair done under a general, so getting over the 2 in more or less the same place ....lol

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Yes, I had the Button Plasema turp on January 27th.  I came home the same day after the surgery with a big catheter in place. Went back to my urologist office to have that one removed a week later and at 9:00 a.m. they took that catheter out. They told me, if I could not pee by 2:00 p.m., then come back to the office.  By 1:00 p.m. I could not pee and went back. They put in another catheter and that one stayed in for a week. All of these catheters have had a leg bag to let the urine drain into. This past Monday again at 9:00 a.m. I went back to my urologist office and they took that catheter out. Same instructions: If I could not pee by 2:00 p.m. come on back for another catheter. Same thing by 1:00 p.m.  I could not pee and was locked up again. I went back for another catheter. This catheter does not have a leg bag, but it does have a stopper/plug.  I have had a catherter in place since December 9th with the only times it has been out is to test to see if I could pee without it. Since my bladder has not had to do anything for 2 months it is now in a re-training mode and I am learning how to pee again. This catheter will come out on Feburary 23rd, Maybe by then my bladder will know what to do again and I will not need another catheter.

Jon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.