Atorvastatin 20mg side effect or not

Posted , 5 users are following.

After finding I had high blood pressure a year ago I was put on Amlodipine I had really bad side effects with swollen ankles and a really bad rash.

My medication was changed to losartan 50mg and Atorvastatin 20mg. Although this combination is keeping my Blood Pressure down. I still have a weakness in my ankles and a slight remaining problem with my skin on my ankles.

I would have thought these problems would have disappeared completely after stopping Amlodipine . But now I am thinking it's the statins that is stopping the side effects in my legs from disappearing completely.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi paul

is your left foot hurting??sad  are you also getting  pins and needles these are my side effects  i am keeping a diary week 5... I had to come of the statin due to bad sleeping patterns bad aches and feeling awful BUT i Also  think the other culprit in my  sarga is bisiprol 

• Posted

Hi Granam

Both my Ankles swelled to the same size as my leg above my knee, they looked like tree trunks. I also got a very bad rash on both ankles.

after stopping Amlodipine about 6 months ago my legs are not back to normal. so I wondered if the statin was playing them up and stopping them going back to normal.

• Posted

havent had that one but left foot is throbbing tried everything but a saw  to chop it off.lol.pin s and needles and feet sometimes are cold and i never had that before like alot of things thats happened since taking these poisonous smarties
    • Posted

I have found that if a work in the garden with good warm socks and boots, like you, my feet quicky get very cold, someting that didnt hapen 18 months ago
  • Posted

AFAIK Amlodipine also needs a so-called water tablet to be prescribed along with it to reduce the swollen legs effect. I take 10mg every day with a water tab.

I know a lady who was prescribed Amlodipine by a doctor with a suspect reputation and she was not given the water tablet. She then had swollen legs and stopped the Amlodipine though her legs are still not as they should be several months later.

• Posted

Hi Tafia43

I was prescribed a diuretic along side the Amlodipine, but it still didnt stop both my legs from swelling to large size with a very bad red rash on both ankles.

I am similar to the lady you mention, 6 months later my legs are not right, they feel week and I cannot walk very far, that’s why I was wondering if the satins were playing my legs up and not letting them return to normal

• Posted

Paul, either you've misunderstood your doctors or they haven't explained the medication to you properly:   Atorvastatin isn't for your blood pressure, it's for high cholesterol and has many unwanted effects including muscle and nerve problems.

High blood pressure can often by controlled to a lesser or greater extent with exercise and meditation.

• Posted

"Paul, either you've misunderstood your doctors or they haven't explained the medication to you properly:

Jude where did you get that from?

Amlodipine for Blood Pressure

Atorvastatin for cholesterol

Losartan for blood pressure

Diuretic self explanatory

I had bad side effects while on Amlodipine, after I stopped that drug my side effects have taken a lot longer than most to reduce.

I wondered if the side effects of the statins were having some effect in stopping of my other symptoms

• Posted

I have heard that Telmisartan helps with blood pressure and has very little in the way of side effects.  It is being highly praised by those who seeking to extend their lives, has been written up very favorably.  It evidently has positive side aspects too, which is very rare for drugs, which usually have negative side effects.  I don't have significantly high blood pressure myself, but my cardiologist wants me on Enalapril 2.5mg for the rest of my life (was on that plus carvidilol for 2 years) because of a heart operation I needed in 2012.  I am going to ask him about this Telmisartan at my next consultation, as it impairs my "potence abilities", shall we say, and makes it very easy for me to get drowsy.

Anybody ever heard of it?

• Posted

The enalapril impairs those abilities, not the Telmisartan...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.