Incisional Hernia Operation

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had my incisional hernia opeartion, 3 weeks ago. It occuried from an appendix operation I had 4 years ago and had been waiting 2 years for the hernia operation.

The operation was done via keyhole surgery with 10 puncture wounds which inserted a mesh 20 x 25cm. I was in hospital 2 days.

Three weeks on and I am still in agony, cannot bend over, can only sleep on my back I am walking hunched over which is putting strain on my back, constant tiredness (maybe the cocodamol) and I am getting really fed up with the constant pain, was told I would be fine in 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone else suffered this constant pain and will it eventually pass.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have just had this done following the same operation. I am wondering how you are now and hope yo are feeling better.
  • Posted

Hi Poppy,

It is strange reading my discussion thread as now 12 weeks have elapsed and I feel great. I was off work for 8 weeks and to be honest i couldnt wait to get back, was so fed up sitting about the house.

It was difficult, with the pain but it eases over time, just take it easy and dont exert yourself. I saw the consultant for a follow up about 7 weeks after the operation and he said keyhole is a major operation and takes time to heal.

I hope you recover soon but it will be worth it when you reach a full recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly. This is the first time ever I have posted a message on the Net so am really grateful

Unfortiunately the surgeon had to make a large incision - not keyhole so I make take longer to heal, but still feel encouraged!

All the best

• Posted

I had incisional hernia redone 1 week ago - 1st 4 years ago.with open surgery 2nd time keyhole. Told to expect considerable discomfort at first especially on turning torso left or right. Sleeping (well) sitting up. Taking easy walking exercise each day - gradually extending. Up to 3/4 mile now. Quite extensive bruising below lowest incision point and bruising starting to come out around edge of mesh area. Surgeon had to dissect considerable scar tissue from previous ops and told me to expect this.

Follow up visit to outpatients a week tomorrow.

Thought it might help to know of others going through similar experience.

• Posted

Hi Ironside.

Seems you have had it more severe than my operation. I did not experience any bruising after my surgery but hoping you are 'on the mend.'

I noticed I was more painful at the lowest incision point - every time I moved it felt like the mesh was pulling on tissue and I felt as if the mesh was going to break but again it will hopefully ease.

Its been 13 months and I feel great, I take it easy when trying to lift heavy objects etc.. but other than that I have had no problems.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi. First time here. I have developed an incisional hernia 4 months after bowel cancer surgery. Dr says just keep an eye on it, but being a worrier, I am concerned about strangulation. It is 11 CM X 11 CM. Maybe too large for strangulation? Any similar experiences out there?
    • Posted

John when you can feel the hernia bulge do you push it back into the abdomen or leave it trapped.
    • Posted

Hi. I keep it supported with an elastic corset band which I bought from a magazine. It seems to help. At night it goes in if I am on my back, but I am very aware of it if I turn on my side. Maybe I should wear it all the time? Nobody at my Dr surgery has given any helpful advice. 
  • Posted

John01315 I have undergone similar surgery to you, may I ask what the extent of your original surgical

wound and in what area do you have the hernia visible? Does it show and disappear? What is frequency of the hernia showing? How much pain?

• Posted

Just an update. The incisional hernia is quite a bulge now but I have been given a corset which allows me to be almost normal as far as everyday activities go. But no heavy lifting etc. I don't wear it at night. The surgeon said it would need repairing but I have no idea when that will be. Soon I hope. 
  • Posted

Pedro T. It was a right Hemicolectomy last November. Very sudden, the only symptoms were discomfort and a bloated feeling, along with cramps etc and no appetite. I was on antibiotics for an infection but that didn't change anything. A CT scan showed the problem and I ended up in theatre 3 hours after the scan, as an emergency. Some perforation, so I was lucky. No spreading, lymph nodes ok and no bag. Bloods have been good so far. CEA tests. To answer your question, the scar goes from just under my sternum to below my navel. About a month ago, I noticed a small bulge between my navel and the top of the scar. The swelling is bigger now. No pain, just annoying really. It goes when I lie down which is a good sign I think. When I cough etc it is very obvious. I am thinking of wearing some sort of support. There was an infection lower down on the scar below my navel but that has cleared up now.

Hope you are recovering well!

• Posted

Hi !! Just had incisional hernia operation last week with mesh. Still very painful, can't twist or turn without feeling like the sutures are coming out. When will the pain end ?
    • Posted

Hi,

I had incisional hernia surgery almost 2 weeks ago. The pain has subsided a bit it is painful when I walk. They gave me a corset to wear but it just bothers me when I sleep. I did use an ice pack for the pain and took pain meds. I can only sleep on my back for rite now. The pain will eventually go away. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Yes, the pain should disappear. I'm now 16 months since surgery. No problems, but I still wear a corset during the day. I'm left with a pot belly, but I'm told that it is fat. Huh! I certainly didn't lose my appetite, so maybe they're  right. 
    • Posted

Yes, I also have a pot belly too. But my appetite is back to normal, not sure if that's a good thing or not. smile
    • Posted

I blame the hernia and surgery for mine! The original surgery was for bowel cancer, but that was 28 months ago. My hernia surgeon and other experts say that it is fat, but I WAS told that there would be a bulge, so.... No belly button either, but I don't need one. Best wishes. 🌞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.