Fasting & Moviprep?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just turned 21 and I am due a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy (endoscopy) next month.

Reading the information supplied it states:

Take first lot of Moviprep around 5pm and the second around 8pm...

It then goes on to read the I must stop eating 6 hours before I start taking Moviprep...

This says to me that I must stop eating at 11am but my appointment isnt until 9am the next day... after both procedures which will last about 45-60 mins each and then the 2 hour down time from the anestitic ... this seems like an awful long time to go without food. Am I reading it correctly?

Also... for my prep I am to use Moviprep... I know that this is not going to taste nice... am I allowed to mix it with anything? What are peoples experience about this?

I would be very greatful for any feedback/advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A hour or two either way shouldn't make much of a difference especially if you plan to drink the lot (which is best), the procedures won't take that long, the stuff doesn't start out tasting too bad but by the time you've finished you'll be sick of it cheesygrin You're not supposed to add cordial because of the colourings and it might mess up the balance of salts etc in the prep (designed to stop you getting dehydrated) smile
  • Posted

Thank you for the advice? So its best to drink it as it is?

Have you heard about anyone vomitting during the prep? Im scared that I will and drinking it will be a waste of time.//

• Posted

,,, stop you getting dehydrated and to replace the salts you may lose during the 'toilets times'cheesygrin
  • Posted

Yes drink it as it is (but if you want to try a bit of flavour then who's to know),, to be honest you may feel a bit nauseous on the final stretch of drinking the stuff, just don't try and chug it down in one go, drink it over the hour it says (or whatever) smile
  • Posted

I was given orange flavour, which smelt of orange, and had virtually no taste. It's really not as bad as people make out. You need to drink other fluids with it, and I would advise you not to have anything sweet as it will make the prep seem very salty. How long it takes to work varies enormously, I took mine at 2 and 7 pm, did manage to sleep most of the night, but was constantly in the loo between 6 and 7.30 am!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.